iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Barn Raising...

Started by Brian_Weekley, August 22, 2013, 10:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

The time has finally arrived...we loaded my timberframe on a 42 foot car trailer yesterday and we're off to prepare for the raising.  Woohoo!  Many thanks to those on the FF who gave feedback and advice that helped me get me to this point.  I'll post photos of the raising in the near future.

;D

e aho laula

mesquite buckeye

So, like dude, what's up with the catman mask? ;D 8) 8) 8)

Must be eggciting to have it actually happening. ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Brian_Weekley

e aho laula

jueston

Don't hate on the cat avatars.....  :D

I'm excited to see the raising, remember, there is no such thing as to many pictures....

mesquite buckeye

I like cats. That one just looks like it is possessed by the dark one. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dave Shepard

I can't wait to see it up! 8)

(And I am reminded I didn't respond to your invitation.  :-[ I'm sorry I didn't get back to you.)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

VictorH

What are the 2 RAS being used for?

Dave Shepard

I think they go inside the building when it's up. I think Brian had a Sketchup showing them in their new home. Or maybe it was some other person entirely.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Post it as barn raising so I will notice it. I don't come on this part much. I have no idea what you guys talk about,but I enjoy seeing your craftmanship.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John_P

Any details? Did you cut it yourself, size? Home, barn, other? How long did it take
you to get to this point?

Jim_Rogers

John_P:

Welcome to the forum.

Search for post by Brian and I"m sure you'll find some of your answers.
He maybe out of computer range for a while as he's on site in Maine erecting his frame.

Jim Rogers

PS. Did we meet recently?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brian_Weekley

Jim is correct, I'm currently in Maine and have very limited internet access.  I'll post lots of pics when I get back.  The raising will be this coming Sat.  Still trying to finish a few beams up before then.

I'm planning to use the two RAS's to cut tongue and groove boards with molding heads.  One setup for tongue and one for groove.  Dave is correct too--plan to leave one in the barn when it's complete.

This is a Sobon style shed with enclosed shed on one side (20x20 overall).  I cut the entire frame by hand sporadically over the last year and a half.

e aho laula

thecfarm

Brian,What town in Maine? Nice weather we have now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John_P

Jim

Yes we did meet recently at a Fox Maple training class in ME. I tried out one of your
Millers Falls boring machines you had for sale, class was great and tool was very nice.

Brian-thank you for the update and good luck, a year and a half of work it a big investment
I look forward to to seeing the pics as well. Be safe

Brian_Weekley

No work today due to very heavy rains—a real frog strangler.  Therefore, I finally have some time to post some pics.  Jueston asked for lots of pictures, so here you go...

Unloading the beams at the worksite:

The dry fit stone foundation.  Notice the fancy home-made water level.  This worked great for building the walls and leveling the sills.

Assembling the tie joists and sills.  We did this over the stone on wood supports so we wouldn't disrupt the rock too much.

Pulling things together with straps, come-along, and some persuasion with a log:

After everything was tight and square, we lifted each corner to remove the supports and lowered the base to the stone foundation.  We used cedar shakes as shims to level the entire base on the stone foundation.

The base complete and level:

The first bent goes up:

Inserting the loft joists as we pull together the middle bent:

Forgot to make mortises in the sill for the door posts.  Some last minute work so we could get the final bent raised:

We had enough people to carry, lift, and set the plates without the need for a gin pole:

Group photo and BBQ at the end of the raising day:

The rafters had to wait for the following day:

Finally, the traditional whetting bush tops the frame...

The frame is done!  Couldn't have done it without a lot of help from friends and neighbors.  Many traveled a great distance to be there.

A lot of work left to do now.  Hope the rain clears soon...
e aho laula

giant splinter

Brian,
Simply beautiful ..... The stone foundation really sets it off nicely and the frame is very well done, I particularly like to see the use of the hand mortiser as it is truly the way to do joinery when time allows.
I have been following your progress and looking forward to this moment, Congratulations on a job well done.
roll with it

Mooseherder

Very nice Brian, it looks great. :)
Looks like your crew got smaller on day two. :D

Rooster

Great Job!

Has the reality of the frame now standing sunk in yet?

Peace,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

thecfarm

Love that stone foundation. Tommorrow looks like rain off and on again.  ::)

grweldon

Awesome Job!  Can't wait to see the progress...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for all the pictures.

Nice job.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jueston

thanks for the pictures, i know once you get moving, its hard to remember to stop and take pics. but its always interesting to see the progress.

like everyone else said, the foundation looks awesome, and everything turned out beautiful....

schakey

Great job,love it. 8) Can't stop looking at the pictures.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Brian_Weekley

The barn update...

I only had a limited amount of time available to raise and enclose the barn.  It's hard to believe that it's only been a week since the raising and I'm finally home now.  Why is it that things always take longer than I think it should?  I didn't get as far along as I had hoped, but I left the barn tight for the winter.  I'll probably have to wait till spring to completely finish the roof, install a proper door, and the windows.

Here's the nice view from the top as I boarded the roof:

The roof and siding go on...

I just applied some roof guard with some battens to help hold it down.  The side with the shed roof was pretty easy to work on.  However, working on the 12:12 pitch side was very tough and scary!  I'm definitely going to use some staging next time around to finish the roof.

I just screwed on some boards over the door opening to button it up for the winter...

I'm exhausted!
e aho laula

Brian_Weekley

Here's an attempt at a YouTube slideshow with additional photos...

http://youtu.be/LwAdhREU9Nk
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!