iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting up: Logrite vs processors- any thoughts?

Started by Aussie.firewood, August 21, 2013, 11:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie.firewood

Hey there,

I'm looking at firewood processors and just wanted to get everyone's opinions.

I came across the logrite processor.

What does everyone think?

I'm in Australia and we have a hardwood here called ironbark. It's very dense as the name would suggest. Put it this way, you can't hand nail a 3" nail into it because it bends!!

I don't mind spending the money (it's not my money). But I don't want to buy a toy.

Otherwise my other option is the Rex 600
http://www.superaxe.com.au/products/rex-600-firewood-processor/

It's made here locally but cost $40k. And I'd need to build an indeed table to preload logs and so on
Carpenter so obsessed with wood, im becoming a forester/logger/mill-owner

giant splinter

Ausie,
The logrite has a cycle time that is twice as fast as the rig your looking at. I have seen it and tried it at a demonstration and it is fast.
roll with it

Aussie.firewood

Quote from: giant splinter on August 22, 2013, 12:26:53 AM
Ausie,
The logrite has a cycle time that is twice as fast as the rig your looking at. I have seen it and tried it at a demonstration and it is fast.

Any idea if it can handle very dense timber?
Also do you happen to know how much they cost?

beenthere

Best to contact Logrite (sponsor on the left) but I think about 1/4 the cost of the one mentioned. And the cycle time may be faster, but it is not but one split per cycle, not like 3 in the video. But there are tradeoffs to consider.
Good luck with your decision. Hope it whichever way you go we can see some pics or maybe even a video.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

giant splinter

Ausie,
I have a kinetic energy splitter and it does get through the hard stuff, sometimes you have to let it recover and hit it a second time.
once you get used to keeping up with it you can split over two cords an hour ( one man ) and each split is less than three seconds.
roll with it

Aussie.firewood

Hey giant,

Well thats music to my ears. I want to try and produce around 10cubic meters per hour which is about 2.7 chords. But I would be happy with 2 cords. I like the Capstan winch set up too, Ive sailed all my life so i know how handy they can be.

what do you guys think about docking the logs at hip height? would it be easier do it on the ground?

leonz

Quote from: Aussie.firewood on August 22, 2013, 02:12:36 AM
Hey giant,

Well thats music to my ears. I want to try and produce around 10cubic meters per hour which is about 2.7 chords. But I would be happy with 2 cords. I like the Capstan winch set up too, Ive sailed all my life so i know how handy they can be.

what do you guys think about docking the logs at hip height? would it be easier do it on the ground?

You should also look at the Chomper Firewood Processor.

The design of the Chomper firewood processor is unique where it shears
and splits the rounds at the same time using an afjustable shearing head
which can shear the logs to make 0-2-4-6-8 way splits, it also has a hydraulic
drive winch that eliminates the need for a second piece of equipment
to load a log deck or bring logs to the processor.

The Chomper Firewood Processor shears both hard wood and soft wood
species.

www.chomper.net

giant splinter

Ausie,
The the infeed deck is an important feature in firewood splitting when it comes to productivity and the stacking conveyor is a huge help for getting the split wood out of the way in a pile or your truck/trailer rig, one of our other sponsors HUD-SON forest equipment has a few conveyor models that are priced right and well built .... they are right at the bottom of this page and have a full processing station line of equipment that are available with a conveyor or you can add a conveyor with a longer and taller reach.
Both the Logrite Firewoodinator and the HUD-SON Badger are very productive units and at the same time different design features while being priced where the small firewood guy can afford them.
Both of these splitters are horizontal splitters so if you need to go vertical you add a dedicated heavy duty (34 ton) second splitter to the setup to get through the extra hard stuff as well as breaking down bigger rounds and your still at half the cost of the larger station you are considering.
Logrite offers the capstan winch in a portable version that is very handy on its own.
roll with it

Aussie.firewood

leonz,
the chomper is one hell of a processor! very impressive, do you have one your self? have you used it? im a little concerned that the website and videos look a little old
ive always been concerned with being able to process larger timber diameter (up to 25 inches). But seeing as there is a mill on the property, i should be using the larger width for milling and the rest for firewood.

Aussie.firewood

hey giant,

very impressed with the badger as well, i guess i havent done my research well enough. the badger is well priced and you are right, i could always get a second stand up cheapie splitter to get thru the big stuff. im going to contact them and see if they have any in australia.

leonz

Quote from: Aussie.firewood on August 22, 2013, 08:11:22 PM
leonz,
the chomper is one hell of a processor! very impressive, do you have one your self? have you used it? im a little concerned that the website and videos look a little old
ive always been concerned with being able to process larger timber diameter (up to 25 inches). But seeing as there is a mill on the property, i should be using the larger width for milling and the rest for firewood.

Goodday Aussie.firewood,

I have know about the Chomper for many years. I do not sell them as they are sold directly from the factory as the original dealer network did not work very well.

Yes the video is old and I have an original VHS Tape which is also the same film but the operation of the machines has not changed.

I was going to buy one BUUUT the fire wood Log supply in my area dried up as there are fewer loggers doing firewood and I am not close to any of the big hardwood lumber mills.

I ended up buying a commercial Timberwolf log splitter because I was at the right place at the right time.
as my firewood supply was not constant.

The operating principle of the chomper is simple and straight forward using hydraulics and brute force to shear and split the logs entering the chute and there are no saws or loag loading machinery needed for a live deck.
The units are very simple to operate and repair. I have a aqaintance on arborist site that uses one in soft wood at high elevations and I will be glad to ask him to contact you or vice versa.

It only takes a chomper 6 seconds to shear and split a 12 inch round of 14-16 inches.

The units also have a trash screen under the chute that allows the junk to fall through the grates as the wood is passed on to the ground pile or a conveyor.

If you like I can send e-mail you the current owners list as of 2010 and the paper from the Department of Energy comparing split wood versus sheared wood in drying time.

You can always mill up the firewood logs to make packaged firewood quickly as it will be either 14 by 14 or 16 by 16 inches in size and will have no bark to deal with.

please send an e-mail to lzaharis@lightlink.com and I can send them to you.

Thank You Sponsors!