iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brace question

Started by addicted, August 21, 2013, 10:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Does anyone else ever have a problem with braces on sketch up? Everytime I draw a 36" brace the horizantal leg is 35 15/16 ". Any Suggestions?
Rusty

jander3

How are you drawing it?

I start with a rectangle and use the push/pull tool to make the shape and tenons. Then I put the brace into the structure.  One you make one, just copy and paste

In the drawing section at the top of this page there are many examples, you can pull a brace off one of the drawings to see what others are doing.

addicted

when I draw the brace, it's length comes out to be 50 15/16. From what the chart says, that should be the right length for a 36 inch leg. But when I put it on the frame with a 1/2 inch housing the vertical leg is 36" and the horizontal leg is 35 15/16". Maybe I'm picking pepper out of fly droppings but with sketch up I usually get the exact measurement.
Rusty

bmike

sounds like a units issue, a snap issue, or a user error issue.

are you rotating the brace into position?
or are you drawing it in place?
what are you using to measure? the line tool, tape measure tool, dimensions?

when i see errors like this i am usually the one to blame. bad snap, bad move, bad rotate. or all of the above.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC
www.mikebeganyi.com

addicted

You're absolutley right bmike. After the foundation was poured, I measured again and found a few less than square areas. I adjusted the frame to fit the foundation but now realize I should adjust the mud sill instead and keep the frame as designed.

Thank You Sponsors!