iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Job pics

Started by keen, August 21, 2013, 10:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keen

Haven't post in a while, here's a few pics from a recent maple cut. Did a make over on the c5d skidder a few weeks ago. Ended up buying a c5d forwarder with a hood loader last week. So I'm hoping to get it over to the oak cut we start on Monday. The jobs keep piling in, hoping the forwarder helps for production.

thecfarm

My Father would like to see your stumps. So do I  !!!! That maple looks good. i have the white maple.gets kinda black in the center.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

keen

Thanks guys, I try to keep my stumps low. Makes for a better looking job when finished. Plus with maple prices being so high I'll take all the board footage I can. Lots of veneer on that cut. We would fall the trees then top them in the woods, and go back for a second skid for the tops. That way they were shorter and not banging up the other trees. Another happy land owner 8)

loggah

Thats some great looking maple, your not wasting any lumber with those stumps either !! ;D you got to be taking  a bit of time trimming those buttswells off, looks like a bunch of 1/4 heart logs ,tough to find around here, happy logging!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Quote from: loggah on August 22, 2013, 06:57:52 AMyou got to be taking  a bit of time trimming those buttswells off,
Bibbyed up quite nicely.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Are those "before" (top photo) and "after" (bottom photo) of the same skidder... you even vacuumed it out?  Wish my pickup truck looked that good!  Let us know how that forwarder works out for you.  Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

woodweasel

WOW, Those are some BIG BOYS :D :D

Skidder Kev

some nice looking logs you have there.

Autocar

Great looking hard maple , Michigan grows some of the best for sure. Like your low stumps also, nothing like picking up extra board feet and thats what we are all selling  ;).
Bill

keen

Yeah, before and after pics of the same skidder. The vacuum was used to clean out the intake pipe(the one that comes through the hood)  lol... I welded in a new 2"x4" steel brace that comes down from the cab. I thought the paint would be a few day project :D I was wrong, 16 hours just in steam cleaning. Amazing what 22 years of grease in oil takes to get out. I remember seeing a thread on here of someone getting a CAT skidder painted for $2000. I thought that was a lot then, now I think that sounds like a deal. Hoping to get the new head gasket put in the forwarder Saturday and I'll let you guys know how it works out.

logman81

Looks like nice wood, doesn't take to many of those to fill a truck. Congrats of the forwarder purchase and nice c5d.
Precision Firewood & Logging

treefarmer87

nice logs, that forwarder will come in handy, and the skidder looks great
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

John Woodworth

You can tell a lot about a logger by his stumps, I'd work with you anytime, clean logs, appearence is a major factor in scale. Lookin good and may the forest be with you.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

keen

Well I ended up getting the forwarder to the job site last Tuesday. Took a little getting used to, but got the hang of it. Wow, I've been missing out. I will save about $150 in fuel a week without running the loader to stack with, and will not be bucking dirty wood.  :)
   Majority of the new cut is red oak with some white oak and soft maple. A few veneer logs and some of the reds have to be a little over 40" dbh.  A tree that size is no fun to pulp out the top :-\ Here's a few pics from Friday. Hope you all had a good week.

logman81

Looks like nice wood, I like the forwarder!
Precision Firewood & Logging

Ron Scott

~Ron

Peter Drouin

Nice job. I wish some if the loggers I buy logs from would trim up the logs that way. I do before I put them on the mill  ::) :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

keen

Thanks guys! Had a load of red oak go to mill today. Tomorrow we start on soft maple and white oak. :)

John_Haylow

Nice looking equipment and job as well. Thanks for sharing.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

cutterboy

I just read this post for the first time today and I can tell you keen, that I am really impressed with your stumps and the way you clean up the butts. Very nice job!
  I know what you mean about the tops of big oak trees being a pain to cut up. I cut some oak each year off my land and the tops go into fire wood. It's a pain and slow going.

Happy logging, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

semologger

i remember my first skidder. it was a c5c tree farmer. what i remember most is i was a happy when i got a new skidder. but it would work a week in fuel compared to 2 days what my prentice does now. but i used to pull alot of wood in a days time with it. we ended up adding a grapple to it.

keen

Thanks guys
Quote from: semologger on September 14, 2013, 11:52:08 PM
i remember my first skidder. it was a c5c tree farmer. what i remember most is i was a happy when i got a new skidder. but it would work a week in fuel compared to 2 days what my prentice does now. but i used to pull alot of wood in a days time with it. we ended up adding a grapple to it.

Both of my c5d's have deutz in them. We average 5 gals a day in a machine. I like the TF's because there so simple to work on. A grapple/cable skidder will be my next buy. There is a clark DA grapple with a winch near by me for sale but all the tires are shot. How do you like your prentice? I have never seen one around here.

keen

A few pics from a current job that we are cutting. Mainly hard maple, a few red oaks and bass wood. Pretty scenic property specially now that the leaves are turning colors. The landowner has a lot of apple trees around and normally stops by each afternoon with a half dozen for us. The property has been in his family since 1870. His great great grandpa bought the first 80 acres for 200 dollars and it was nothing but stumps then he said. He now owns 260 acres. Pretty neat to hear the history of the land and to be able to see the timber on it now. Hope you're all having a good week.  8)

beenthere

What are you skidding logs with?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!