iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Present

Started by Norm, May 06, 2004, 03:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Last year I was faced with what to buy Patty for Christmas. She's got all of those stuffy diamonds and gold jewelry baubbles so I thought what better than something that is one of a kind. Brian Bailey has shown some of his work on here before and I really like it. So at the last minute in a panick I asked Brian if he would make me something for Patty. Even though I know he was booked up with other work he graciously agreed to help me out. I told him I was not in a hurry and to use whatever wood species he felt would do the pictures of a jewelry chest I sent him justice. Well today the ups guy showed up with a big box for me and let me tell you our jaws just dropped when we opened it.

Now my pictures do not do justice to just how beautiful this really is. The main box is cherry with the dark wood walnut crotchwood, the drawer frames are q-sawn beech and the the inlay is cherry and tulip poplar. Brian sent me a note that said it is called "Marquetry"

You can't see it in my pictures but Brian has used gold it looks like to me to highlight areas in the walnut.

Thank you very much Brian. :)

Fla._Deadheader

WOW Norm. How are you EVER going to top THAT gift???

That looks GREAT. NICE WORK, Brian. ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawwood

Wow Norm thats a great looking jewelry box. Brain you do
nice work. I sure do like the Rose Marquetry in the lid. I bet
Patty is sure was suprized.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

dewwood

Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

WV_hillbilly

Great looking piece there Brian .

Did you get alot of ataboys for that Norm . :D
Hillbilly

Jeff

Brian, it must be a wonderful thing to see someone typo your name.

Brain.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

I don't know Jeff, might not have been a typo. I takes a lot of brains along with a lot of skill to do that level of work. Outstanding piece Brian.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Brian_Bailey

Norm,

I'm glad the cabinet meets with your approval and I'm especially glad it arrived in good shape. I was really stressing over the shipping.

Jeff,

I'm real use to the brain typo thing, I realize it's not intentional  :D :D
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Jeff

From now on it may be on my part. (intentional) Shop Teacher is right. That work took a brain and more. Heart and soul.

Tom

Hey!! did y'all see that picture up in the front of this thread?  Some Brain must've made that thing.

CHARLIE

Norm you have given your wife a treasure. I don't think I've ever seen a Jewelry box as nice as that one. I notice the walnut crotchwood is matched from bottom to top.

Brian, you really have a talent with wood. That is by far the most beautiful jewelry box I've ever seen.  I wish I could make stuff as nice as that.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Patty

It truley is the most beautiful piece of artwork I've ever seen.  :)I am so proud to have the priveledge to own such a piece. Thank you Brian. And thank you Norm.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Ok, I'll try to get it right....Br....Bra...Bri...Brian yeah that's it , isn't it. ;)

Nice piece of work, one of a kind. I like the figure in the walnut. If it were a little lighter it would be close to flaming birch. Truely a treasure in itself. You guys, Patty and Norm, must rate pretty high around here. ;)  8)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian_Bailey

You don't have to read to many of Patty's and Norm's posts to tell that they are good folks !

I will admit, that of all the items that I have made, that jewelry cabinet was sure hard to let go of.

The walnut used in the door sides, drawer front, and in the rose, all came out of the same piece.

Here's some pictures:

This is the 8/4 crotch ready to resaw.

Here I'm resawing the piece.

The reward for the aerobic workout  :D.

As much as I enjoyed the challenge of making the cabinet. My greatest pleasure was in making the rose marquetry.
I always admired the work of others that incorporated marquetry into their designs.
But I always felt that it was a task beyond my grasp.
That was until I watched David Marks do it on one of his woodworking programs on DIY.

Here's some pics

This is a piece of the walnut crotch, it's only a 1/16" thick with the rose outlined for cutting.

Here, some of the petals are glued in place.

To get the 3-d effect you need to sand shade the edges of each little piece with very hot sand. That's what I'm doing here, pouring the hot sand where I want the wood to darken.

After sand shading the piece gets glued into the hole you cut for it.

Here is how I cut all those little pieces.

And here is the assembled rose, now all it needs is a little sanding/scraping and inlayed into the lid. Piece of cake  ;D.

Thanks for bearing with me  :).

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Frank_Pender

With photos like that to look at it is not hasrd at all to bare with you Brian.  Thank you for sharing. :)
Frank Pender

Patty

Brian forgot to mention the gold fleck he incorporated into the rose petals, and the walnut pieces. It is just unbelievable. Very beautiful indeed.  8)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

pappy

:) SWEET  :)

Really Really nice work Brian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norm ya big lug  :-*

Patty,  that's one REALLY nice heirloom  

pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Brian_Bailey

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the gold :).

I used the gold & epoxy to overcome some defects in the crotch, namely checks and some unseen bark inclusions.

My goal was to just catch your eye with a slight glimmer of gold as the light plays off the moving surface of the piece. But upon closer inspection the eye perceives a hidden beauty within the depth of the piece. Isn't that what jewelry's all about?  I'm not getting too heavy here, am I?  :D :D

Patty,  

I'm glad you like the cabinet and I hope you have as much fun filling it as I did in making it.

Patty

Oh, I don't think that will be too much of a problem, Brian.  ;D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Larry

Beautiful work Brian.  Shows both artist and a fine craftsman. 8)

Thanks for putting the sequence together on the marquetry.  Never heard of the sand shading before.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

isawlogs

When it comes to craftmenship ....theres never enough pictures of the making of .... I tip my hat to you  Sir Brian , great looking piece and I'm sure Patty will have a wonderful time filling it up ....and..... showing it off....
Patty ...  I would like to see a pic of it closed if its not asking to much ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

CHARLIE

Brian, do you use all hand tools and no electric powered tools?  I found the way you resaw quite interesting. Did you make that Resaw or is it something you purchased. I've never seen anything like it.  I'm impressed with your marquetry too. I'd be afraid to attemped it.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

inspectorwoody

Very nice work Brian. The rose is awesome!

Thank You Sponsors!