iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customers always amaze me.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 21, 2013, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have over 600 board feet of Cedar Lumber plus slabs. A customer bought is all but said he could only get a little each day since he didn't have a truck. He lives an hour away.
The car was packed full of 8 foot boards and he put as much on the roof as he could.
If he's happy.......I'm happy.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bogue Chitto

Good thing he did not bring you the logs to cut in that auto. ::)

terrifictimbersllc

Once had a customer take truckloads of lumber back home in his pickup during the sawing day.  12 foot lumber in a short bed pickup that is.  He put the boards through the back window and they went from top of dash to top of tail gate.  When he got back from the second load there was a hole in the windshield.  :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

red oaks lumber

had a customer load 345 sq.ft of red oak floor on to the roof of his car which looked similar to the one in the picture.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

breederman

I once worked with an old guy that went to the mill with his old ford pickup and got a BUNCH of long stuff to build a woodshed with. His wife had to get out and sit on the hood going up the hill near his home!

Together we got this !

Delawhere Jack

If he hits the brakes and knocks the windshield out, the roof is likely to cave in. Windshields are structural components of newer cars.

A friend worked at Southern States years ago. She said that a woman came in driving a convertible and wanted a bucket of landscaping stone dumped in the car. She argued for a while, but they refused to fill her request.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peacock

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 21, 2013, 12:43:25 PM
If he hits the brakes and knocks the windshield out, the roof is likely to cave in. Windshields are structural components of newer cars.

A friend worked at Southern States years ago. She said that a woman came in driving a convertible and wanted a bucket of landscaping stone dumped in the car. She argued for a while, but they refused to fill her request.

The roof is pretty darn strong on a Honda.

That being said, what an idiot!!
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What's really funny, they'll tie lumber on a small car anyway they can and then look at me and say.....

"Do you think this will be OK?"  :o :o :o

loggah

no common sense there, maybe you should pile some up and let him drive over it ,then tie the ropes across the roof of the car, like a straddle carrier !!! ;D ;D i guess i will go get another vodka and 0.j. to fight my cold !! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

AdamT

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 21, 2013, 12:11:25 PM
Once had a customer take truckloads of lumber back home in his pickup during the sawing day.  12 foot lumber in a short bed pickup that is.  He put the boards through the back window and they went from top of dash to top of tail gate.  When he got back from the second load there was a hole in the windshield.  :o :o :o

I was sawing 16' fence boards for a buddy of mine that did that. He had a 4 door, 6' bed. I saw him the next day, and he promptly told me about busting out the rear glass of his truck.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: AdamT on August 21, 2013, 06:01:42 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Where there's a MILL, there's a way.  :D

Peter Drouin

I had things like that over here . one time a guy had a pickup witha 6' bed, useless thing. he buys 10' wood , now it's feb and the truck is half full of snow :D
he gets it all in the truck , he gets to leave and I ask him if hes going to put a rope on it . he said it's ok like that, ok have a nice day. my drive way gos up hill .
I just stood out at the mill and then herd a bang :D :D :D :D and I new. I walk around the the mill and could see the hole load in my driveway. stupid I thought and went back to work. he pulled the truck up the hill then the wood and left.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I was going to say "poor man, poor ways" but that all wheel drive kinda squelched that quote, in any case who cares? he's gotta be happy or he would not be traveling for it?   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

You need to offer a wood delivery option, for extra $$$. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SAnVA

Common sense isn't very common these days! That being said I believe I would have checked into renting a U-Haul truck instead of trashing my high dollar SUV!

WH_Conley

Had a guy come in one time and get almost a bed full of 12' lumber on a short bed truck. Had a plastic bed liner. I asked him if he was going to tie it on, he said no, it would be OK. He left, my drive goes up hill. I just stood there with the guy that was helping me. We heard a crash and I started the mill up and the other rolled on another log. A little while later another customer came in and said he had to wait while a fellow tied his tailgate on top of his lumber in the drive.
Bill

WoodenHead

I had a guy stop a few weeks ago and wanted 10 pieces of 12' long 1 x 10" white pine.  When he comes to pick it up (on a rainy day - after asking me to ensure that it was dry wood), he arrives with a small hatch back with light duty ski racks.  I had already told him on the phone that I was out of dry 12' long 1 x 10 so I would have to give him 14' lengths instead - no problem.  He starts loading them up on the racks of the vehicle that looks shorter than the wood itself and comments that wood is heavier than he thought.  Well, I wished him all the best.  Haven't heard back from him.  Hopefully he made it....

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The funny thing is, you can't make this stuff up.  :D

Nomad

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 21, 2013, 08:59:49 PM
The funny thing is, you can't make this stuff up.  :D

No reason to make it up.  They're an epidemic! :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

Hey, the guy was resourceful.  I like resourcefulness  :D.  Looks like he was happy with the deal.  You are happy with the deal.  Success!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

But WDH, I think how these people get through life ::). And they vote :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I hate to admit it, but back in the 70's I used a Subaru sedan to haul 16' 1x12 ponderosa pine boards from Jacksonville, Florida to St Mary's Georgia. I put a total of twelve boards on the roof, tied down thru the rolled down windows (except the driver door) and tied the front and back down to the bumpers... Actually did it four or five times. Drove up I-95, doing 45 MPH. The last time it was a windy day and it got a bit scary a couple of times, though the Subaru was gonna go airborn on me. 

Thankfully I'm a bit wiser now. Not sure how I managed to survive to the ripe old age but here I am...

Herb

PS, thank goodness this was before the day of Internet Videos...

Peter, not ALL of us vote that way...

thecfarm

Quote from: drobertson on August 21, 2013, 07:43:39 PM
I was going to say "poor man, poor ways" but that all wheel drive kinda squelched that quote,

As he said. Sometimes we have to do it that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

on a similar note, i was driving along the freeway recently and a fella comes bombing along with a mattress and a box spring tied to the roof of his car (not even a roof rack) with twine about 4' back from the front end of the mattress.  well, at 65 mph that mattress was basically a sail, and it was about to let loose on a crowded highway.  luckily the next exit was mine..... :o ;D :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Thank You Sponsors!