iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice to keep from KILLING RAIDER BILL

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 20, 2013, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Raider Bill sent me a request. He asked did I have any Peach limbs, branches, chunks.....I am assuming for cooking with in a smoker.

I went to my neighbors house who owns one of the largest Peach farms in the upstate of S.C.

Jim said he had piles of old Peach trunks, limbs and the whole nine yards available to be sawn for smoking.
Then he asked me if I was afraid of all the chemicals that had been sprayed on these trees over the years.
The wood is dry.....but is there a chance of being poisoned by using this wood in a smoker?

Stand by Bill.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wildbill

Raider Bill's favorite son

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

Hmmmmm........  Never thought of that.  There may be some nasty stuff lodged in the bark, but the rain has probably washed it out.  If Raider Bill grows another ear, then we will know that it was a problem. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 20, 2013, 08:29:17 PM
Hmmmmm........  Never thought of that.  There may be some nasty stuff lodged in the bark, but the rain has probably washed it out.  If Raider Bill grows another ear, then we will know that it was a problem.

The chips I buy are from LOWE'S. Bags of APPLE, CHERRY, HICKORY, SWEET GUM, and other chips.
I'm sure these chips have not been sprayed with chemicals.....but I don't know. I just don't want to make
RAIDER BILL and WILD BILL glow in the dark.  :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hmmmmm........  Never thought of that.    If Raider Bill grows another ear, then we will know that it was a problem.

:D :D :D

Kcwoodbutcher

Should be OK. Over the years it has washed out and what's left would be degraded by sunlight and bacteria.Then you stick it in a smoker and burn it making sure any trace left is toasted. Any test would have a tough time finding any. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

mesquite buckeye

If it is safe to eat the fruit, I'm betting not an issue w the wood. ;D :o smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_applause
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Migal

:D well I've not gave this much thought due to the time need for research but if he soak's his wood in untested water and it has no visible floating oils film and has a nice smoking fire built with oak that has died from some sort of blight and only cooks FDA approved possum from his local trapper I'm almost positive we will die from laughing before DNA will tell us why DDT is safe for insect control and some washington need an excuse will outlaw it of even better have him take it to Colorado and smoke it in the park LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

scgargoyle

Seriously, I've had the same question. I got some peach wood from a local orchard, but chickened out from using it. Burning stuff releases and concentrates toxins in many cases. I'd really be curious to know if the toxins accumulate in the wood. I'm sure that bagged chips probably come from orchards, and have been exposed to the same sprays, though.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Axe Handle Hound

If it were me and I was concerned I would stick with larger chunks of wood and just peel off the outer bark.  The chemicals they spray in orchards aren't likely to get any further than that layer. 

thecfarm

That's kinda like an organic farmer close to me. They spray the strawberry and sell the "organic" brocoli that is 50 feet away for the strawberry batch.  ::) Not many things get by the spray process. There are so many bugs and diseases out there now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 20, 2013, 08:22:47 PM
Raider Bill sent me a request. He asked did I have any Peach limbs, branches, chunks.....I am assuming for cooking with in a smoker.

I went to my neighbors house who owns one of the largest Peach farms in the upstate of S.C.

Jim said he had piles of old Peach trunks, limbs and the whole nine yards available to be sawn for smoking.
Then he asked me if I was afraid of all the chemicals that had been sprayed on these trees over the years.
The wood is dry.....but is there a chance of being poisoned by using this wood in a smoker?

I thought you Northerners got acid rain that would wash the cooties away?  ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Kansas

If Raider Bill grows a third ear, I need some of that. I can't hear for crap. Maybe the new ear would work.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 21, 2013, 03:18:38 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 20, 2013, 08:22:47 PM

I thought you Northerners got acid rain that would wash the cooties away?  ;D

If your in Florida, I guess I am a Northerner from you but if you are in Tennessee I'm a Southerner.
So what choo talk'n bout Willies?  :D
I just don't want to be responsibill....for you eating cooties laced with RAID!  smiley_sick

Raider Bill

I'm running my mouth from the sunshine state right now! 8) :D

WDH

I agree with the Hound.  Any chemical residue won't be in the wood, it will be on the surface and in the cracks on the bark. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 21, 2013, 08:55:36 PM
I agree with the Hound.  Any chemical residue won't be in the wood, it will be on the surface and in the cracks on the bark.

But would the chemical not soak up in the wood and stay there. Wood ABSORPTION?

WDH

Nope, I don't think so.  The bark protects the living wood and is the first line of defense. 

mesquite buckeye

Almost all of that stuff breaks down in a few days to a week that goes on food. It isn't like the ancient times like when I was a kid and they were using arsenic insecticides.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Ahh, you too prolly remember the 5# bags of arsenic powder that were dumped into the big sprayer tank filling with water along with the other chemicals, then spending the time in the mist spraying fruit trees. No shirt, no mask, .........  Malathion is one that comes to mind too, but not sure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

You can still get malathion. They just delisted it for bedbugs, as it was too effective. ;D

Raider Bill

To peach or not to peach that is the question!   materhead

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 21, 2013, 09:15:54 PM

I am thinking it is possible that there could be some residual pesticide in the woody tissues due to normal transport of fluids within the tree during its lifetime, but the quantity is likely to be very small.  In a bigger picture view, I've seen some of the photos that Raider Bill has posted of his amazing smoked food and I'm going to guess cholesterol is more of a threat to him than pesticide residue.   :)

It does bring up a question though about the source of the wood chips that a person can buy.  They sell bags of pecan, apple, cherry, etc chips at a number of retailers and I'd have to think those are coming from orchards.  Not sure if that makes me feel more confident or less to be honest.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on August 22, 2013, 09:17:21 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 21, 2013, 09:15:54 PM

I am thinking it is possible that there could be some residual pesticide in the woody tissues due to normal transport of fluids within the tree during its lifetime, but the quantity is likely to be very small.  In a bigger picture view, I've seen some of the photos that Raider Bill has posted of his amazing smoked food and I'm going to guess cholesterol is more of a threat to him than pesticide residue.   :)

It does bring up a question though about the source of the wood chips that a person can buy.  They sell bags of pecan, apple, cherry, etc chips at a number of retailers and I'd have to think those are coming from orchards.  Not sure if that makes me feel more confident or less to be honest.

Pravistatin is my friend! ;) smiley_chef_hat

isawlogs

Bill, I think you best start your own peach plantation, grow it chemical free then in a few years WildBill will be able to chip it,sell it  and make a pile of cash, retire and then cook\smoke some awesome food for you. Well... in theory....you know... just saying it could be a possibility, then again, he could leave you to fetch your own food.  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Actually we each have a peach tree. Problem is they are 2 years old and so far have only produced 3-4 peaches the size of ping pong balls. Branches are pencil size.

We used malathion on citrus trees for years then smoked with the wood. Nothing wrong with me say_what

wildbill

my peach tree is 10-12 ft tall now.  reclaimed water does it good.

as for this problem....

i guess i will take one for the team and test a few samples :)  cant have the old man getting sick you know.  he might crabby
Raider Bill's favorite son

Larro Darro

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 20, 2013, 08:33:07 PM
The chips I buy are from LOWE'S. Bags of APPLE, CHERRY, HICKORY, SWEET GUM, and other chips.
I'm sure these chips have not been sprayed with chemicals.....but I don't know.   :D

You have more faith in Lowe's than I do. I'm betting they were from working orchards, meaning they got sprayed. They say eating smoked meat is bad for you anyway. But if I have to have some second hand smoke, I'll take on a Boston Butt any day.

Larro
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

scgargoyle

Here's an idea- Spray the peach trees with Pravistatin! Cholesterol-free BBQ! :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

bama20a

We used malathion on citrus trees for years then smoked with the wood. Nothing wrong with me,

That is a matter of who you ask. ;D :D :D :D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Thank You Sponsors!