iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small question

Started by NCDiesel, August 20, 2013, 02:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

Hardly worth the electrons used to produce this small, newbie question but I'd really like to know:

It seems as if many of you know how many times your blades have been sharpened.  How do you keep track of it?   Is there a way to stain/mark the blade?   I doubt engraving it would be good for the blade.  Or is it just a guess when I run across a post that says, for example: "I sharpened that blade 5 times before I had to discard it"

Inquiring minds would like to know...

Thanks!
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

beenthere

One member replied a short while back, that he marks his with an engraver. I believe a slash four times with a line through for 5.  ////
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Seem like Jim Rogers had something that he made up to keep track of the blades. If he don't see this,send him a PM.He did not engrave them,just used a number system it seemed. Just like when I have blades sharpen,I use a paint maker to put my name on each blade. It's still on there when I get them back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

before I started doing my own, mine were done with a paint code, she painted in the weld area, this would hold up well between sharpening's,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

I take off 10 to 12 thousands per sharpening, when they get down to 1" at least 20 sharpening's.  If they break at 1-1/8" only 10 sharpening's . No time to keep better track.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hackberry jake

If I am monitoring how many sharpenings blades take I just use a bread tie and a tag made out of cardboard. I hang the tag on the sharpener while the band is sharpening. I put how many times it has been sharpened and how well the band cut as well as manufacturer and any other info I may think is noteworthy.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

NCDiesel

Quote from: drobertson on August 20, 2013, 02:46:50 PM
before I started doing my own, mine were done with a paint code, she painted in the weld area, this would hold up well between sharpening's,   david

I guessed a stain of some type because I assumed paint would not hold up.  I also have an engraver.  Like I mentioned, I figured it would be not-so-great for the blade, plus blade metal looks hard and would to be tough to engrave.

I'll try both and see how my selection of paint holds up and how my engraver works. 

Thanks for all the ideas!

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

kelLOGg

I engrave an ID, e.g., 0013, set, e.g., 0.020 and no. of times I sharpened it e.g., ||||
The engraving is on the outside of the band and is very light and does not harm the blade.
The ID refers me to a notebook containing misc notes about the blade.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

drobertson

Just for what its worth, I have cut well over 1000bdft with obvious wear on the paint, but still identifiable, in fact, many still have all the colors showing,  can't see any harm in etching or engraving either, this is how she did it, and it worked,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

BeenThere is correct.

A few days back I made the following post (in part)!

"I keep track of the sharpenings of my .045's, and average 7-8 sharpenings each.

It's easy to keep track of my sharpenings because I use a vibrating etcher and mark each blade, each time it goes on the sharpener.

I use 4 diagonal lines and 1 horizontal //// to indicate 5 sharpenings, etc."

I have been using this method for years and have never had a blade crack or break where I was engraving.  I make my marks abut an inch from the weld!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

For me how many times I sharpen a blade makes no different, I set and sharpen till they break. I mean what are you going to do, in the winter with frozen logs the blades don't last that long. With frozen rocks and sand on the log you will lose teeth on the blade. Now it; s junk
In the warmer times they last a litter longer
It;s good to try to take care of them but blades are like fuel you go through them
I cut so much that when I get down on blades don; t think about it just buy more :D :D :D
My good friends at wood mizer in Maine will be happy to send me more :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I have no curiosity concerning how many times a blade has been sharpened.  I never saw where knowing "how many times" would have any bearing on "how many times".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2013, 10:15:16 PM
I have no curiosity concerning how many times a blade has been sharpened.  I never saw where knowing "how many times" would have any bearing on "how many times".

:D :D :D :D :D :D I like it :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 20, 2013, 10:15:16 PM

say_what    Who made Magic mad?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Mad??  Not me, and I apologize if it sounded that way.  I just have no interest in (knowing) how many times any or all of my blades have been resharpened.  When they break or get too thin, WM replaces them with a new blade and my box comes back full.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Wood-Mizer blades have a serial number on them.

When I first started milling I would record how many times each blade had been sharpened and when it broke or ceased to be usable. Since I was keeping track of how many BF I sawed each day, I would also make a note in my logbook showing how many blade changes I made that day.

This gave me a good feel for how long a blade would last (min: 1 sharpening, max: 13 sharpenings, average: 9 sharpenings). It also gave me an average number of BF between sharpenings.

After I'd done that for a full production year, I stopped worrying about the details and just worked out an approximate number of blades consumed each year. It was also easy to count the number of sharpenings; because I send them out I just had to add up the invoices at the end of the year.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

xlogger

I do the same as Chuck does and it works well. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

My approach came from Chuck, too. I never acknowledged you for the idea, so thanks.
bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I started marking my blade sharpenings because I wanted to know the quality of the sharpening.

What I mean is if I sharpen a blade and get all of stress cracks (if there are any) out of the gullet and also get a full sweep of the complete tooth surface the blade will last longer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

I was measuring data on blades because I was trying half a dozen different types. I wanted to know which blades stayed sharp the longest, lasted the longest (number of sharpenings), etc.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 21, 2013, 10:55:17 AM
I was measuring data on blades because I was trying half a dozen different types. I wanted to know which blades stayed sharp the longest, lasted the longest (number of sharpenings), etc.

Well which one is the best
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I've tried, and stuck with two blades to this point, well over 3/4 million ft of lumber and ties, wmz and cooks are it for me, this said, every wood has its tendencies, and the condition of the logs plays into the equation, as far as sharpening goes, the best figure I can give is 700+ ft per band, avg. and go from there, some run way over some run less, just the nature of the beast,   david,

Chuck White

I agree with you David, I usually use 2 blades a day (once in a while 3) and I average 1,800 - 2,000 board feet per day, so about half of that per blade!

Thank You Sponsors!