iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is 55 per ton fair price

Started by Mt406, August 20, 2013, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

I met a logger at the gas station. he has some Dougfir bigger stuff 30+ at 55 per ton. Is this a fair price??? and what kind of yield mite I get ?

Thanks for any impute.

Scott

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Without more info, a tough one to answer.

You would need to estimate the log quality, and the products you intend to saw from the logs.

Fair to who? 

QuoteI jumped in and bought a D&L And going to try to get into doing custom work.

From your other post, will this be "custom" work?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mt406

Going to look at logs next week I will take pics. I have had some timber framers talk to me about beams and some contractors ask also, a few ranchers are intrested in some wind fence 1x6s..
to ancer qustion some custom and some for stock.

thecfarm

I find it diffeant that places outside of Maine sell by the ton for saw logs. Everything is done by a scale stick here. Or the logs that I sell are.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

99% of the wood transacted in the South is by the ton, and that is a whack of tons.  Nobody stick scales anymore. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kemper

I don't know about the rest of the south, but here in Kentucky it's all scaled except pulp.

Quote from: WDH on August 20, 2013, 09:39:58 PM
99% of the wood transacted in the South is by the ton, and that is a whack of tons.  Nobody stick scales anymore.

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. What part of Montana are you from?

Allan

Migal

JMO 55 bucks a ton is a ton for green lumber. My thoughts are I live in East Texas no shortage of tree's but as for that 6000 lb oak I sawed not sure if I would pay $165 for it also my problem is not with getting Logs as of yet just time to saw Dang Day Job's. GL on all you decide.  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

gwilson

All the wood I sell in SC with the exception of  few select saw logs is by the ton. Pulp, veneer, and poles all run by the ton.

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Mt406

Allan
Just moved to Dillon from Kalispell

thenorthman

Out here in Warshington I'm getting $720 per 1k mbf, or about $227. a ton you be the judge.
well that didn't work

grassfed

Just so everybody's is clear the PDF with the Texas prices is for Stumpage not delivered logs. I started looking at those prices and was shocked , for a minute, that anyone could even harvest wood for those prices :o...then I noticed that they were stumpage and it made more sense. It is probably just me but just incase anyone else (besides me) missed that!!!
Mike

WDH

Quote from: Kemper on August 20, 2013, 10:04:57 PM
I don't know about the rest of the south, but here in Kentucky it's all scaled except pulp.

Let me re-phrase then.  The Deep South.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Yes, a decidedly dangerous place  :).  There is pecan, lots of wild hog meat, and grits. 

thecfarm

The first 2 don't sound bad,but last one keeps me from crossing the new Hampshire border.   :D

WDH

Yes, we use them as a deterrent  ;D.

Larro Darro

Quote from: thecfarm on August 21, 2013, 09:55:20 PM
The first 2 don't sound bad,but last one keeps me from crossing the new Hampshire border.   :D

The other night I was eating catfish, hushpuppies and cheese grits. It made me laugh that everything on my plate was made with corn, or coated with it. So much for low carbs. But we don't make you eat grits. As long as you don't venture outside the magic kingdom into the real Florida.

And down here in Florida, when I had my slash pines thinned, I sold them as chip and saw by the ton.

Edit: I'm new here, so wanted to say hello to everyone. If you ever get down here, try the shrimp and grits. Very good.
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

woodweasel

FYI, here in Central Texas I can buy or sale red cedar $1 00 a ton delivered :o

shortlogger

Wow we only get about 45-55 a ton for cedar in Arkansas
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!