iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wedding benches AND TABLES!

Started by hackberry jake, August 19, 2013, 09:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Built some benches for my wedding over the weekend. Me and my brother and my dad had a little assembly line. My dad was bringing lumber in the shop and putting benches in the truck. I was cutting the pieces and my brother was using the dewalt impact driver and assembling the benches. The legs are roughly 10" wide and 20" tall. the tops are 4' long mostly two piece some one piece tops. I don't know if you remember when I cut some logs for a local mill that had "suspected metal" but most of the lumber came from those logs. Mainly oak 5/4. I cut the braces out of whatever scrap the table saw made ripping the second board for the tops. There was very little waste that didnt get used. We made 23 benches in about 4 hrs. I am going to build 27 more when I get more time.

I kind of felt bad for using such clear lumber in such a rough way, but I never have been a real big fan of oak anyways. The wedding will be rustic themed and I think these will fit right in. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like the benches on the Duck Dynasty wedding last Wed. night.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

You must be going to have a big wedding to need such a whack of benches.  Building your one wedding benches is like tying your own noose being very thrifty  ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

50 benches? Where will you store them after the wedding? Outdoor wedding? Going to take pictures of the rustic setting? I would like to see how they fit in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

They will likley go on craigslist after the wedding. There will be plenty of pics of the setting im sure after sept 21st

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Get 'er done! ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

Love the benches and the idea, my wife and I got married in her parents garden, the guests had to sit on folding chairs  :-\

Magicman

At least you had guest.  When Pat and I got married, there was only the "marrying man" and a witness.   :D

We drove to my parents home for an introduction the next day.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Magic I don't think it makes much difference, in no way could I get by without her, not sure how I did it beforehand other than the fact we were best friends then  ;).  Hackberry we're gonna have to have a lot of pics you realize  :)

Farmerjw

Let the wedding guests know they will be sold after the wedding.  Bet a lot of them will be gone that night.  Looks great, wish I had thought of that for my daughter's wedding here on our farm a few years back.
Premier Bovine Scatologist

thecfarm

Or better yet give them away to the guests. Might have to run a raffle if you get more takers than benches. That would be nice because they would always remember your wedding.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Heck of an idea Jake, and the one about selling after is a great idea, be allot less to have to clean up,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hackberry jake

I took this week off on vacation to get a few things done around the house. This is one of the things I've been working on

On a side note. I got some "deer cane" to make a few spots for hunting this year. I got a mineral block to put at the sites and since I am cheap and made two sites I decided to cut the block in half and put half at each site. I cut the block in half on one of the oak benches and this is what the minerals did to the oak. If you would like to turn oak black just get a "black magic" deer cane block and grind it onto the wood. I may try it on a nice piece one of these days.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WOW! All those tables. Another wedding?  :)

Tables look nice. Nice grain in the top of the table in the pic.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

My stepson put up an antler trap and I put a normal,cheapy,salt block on a stump. The salt is gone,but the animals are really going after the stump.
Now you have tables to get rid of too.

Lud

How memorable......She'll be proud of you forever. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Quartersawn Sycamore  8) 8).

You have good taste in middle boards for tables  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

m wood

looking good!  have you made the center pieces and card boxes, etc. :D  Been there done that.  How close r u getting?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hackberry jake

Sept 21st is the big day. Center pieces will be "cookies" and a mason jar with a candle in it. What are card holders?

m wood

oops, i mean card box.  for the incoming cards.  We used a wicker picnic basket and primped it up with small cookies and woodburned sayings.  our centers were almost the same thing as yours, but our mason jars had a few inches of colored gravel and a dried flower arrangement.  Cookies were about 8" to 12" spruce.  maybe i can find pics somewhere.  Congrats!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hackberry jake

The big day is Saturday! Here are some update Pics.

Ill bet there are very few people who can name off each species of wood in this table from left to right. Ill bet wdh gets close!

thecfarm

I hope the weather will be fine for the wedding.

downsouth

NICE!
I wish you and your soon to be wife luck in your new lives together .
   My wife an I are going on 22yrs together . I could not imagine life without her.
  Congradulations to you both!

Coach

Wishing you both a long and wonderfully blessed marriage.

beenthere

Wish you well.
Am wondering what keeps people sitting on the benches from toppling over backwards. Just the vision of a domino effect comes to mind in the middle of the ceremony.  ::)

Hope not, but seems could happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!