iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

reversing a Mobile Dimension Sawmill

Started by cgstubbs, August 18, 2013, 04:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgstubbs

I am working on my Dad's MD model 12 ( 1976) sawmill, it now works well....except it will not reverse.  The lever goes into reverse, the reverse pulley is against the main belts but it does not engage.. New belts, I think the tensions are right.... Any suggestions?

Magicman

I am of no help with your MD problem, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cgstubbs
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

could there be a key in the reverse  pulley sheared? hope you find it,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mobile demensia

Quote from: drobertson on August 18, 2013, 04:37:15 PM
could there be a key in the reverse  pulley sheared? hope you find it,   david
I just looked in my manual and it looks like there is a key on the shaft that the little reverse roller is attached to. I will try to have a look at my mill tonight to see if there are any other obvious potential problems.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

mobile demensia

The belt that is run by the reverse pulley may be loose. It looks like that is the first thing to check out.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

slider

al glenn

DanG

I'm here, but no help I'm afraid.  My MD is hydrostatic and I have no clue how those older ones work. Paul_H?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mobile demensia

If you are able to hold the reverse roller in one hand and the reverse pulley in the other and spin them opposite to each other then something is wrong with the shaft or the key. DanG I would rather have hydrostatic any day.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

farmer mark

Try calling mobile dimension. They have always been very helpful to me, even though I bought my mill used not from them.

grweldon

Welcome to the Forum!  I can't help with your problem, but it's always good to have another resident of Alabama here!  You are located just a handful of miles north of me.  I'd love to see your mill sometime.  Never seen a mobile dimension mill except for on "Mountain Men"!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

cgstubbs,welcome to the forum. Helping dad out? I would give the company a call. That's what they are there for. I saw one of them run at a show here in Maine. Quite the mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cgstubbs

Ok guys, I found it! the reverse pulley/belt could be turned by hand but when i ran it just a very short time, I stopped it to look again and when i felt the reverse pulley it was HOTTT.  I took it off and the bearing was stiff, freezing up but had not completely not frozen.  replaced, readjusted and it works perfectly!  I am excited and looking forward to learning more.  Thank you all for your insight.  I am sure I will be back.  By the way, I am a forester, have been in that business for 25+ years and as my dad is aging am looking forward to him seeing this back in action.

cgstubbs

thecfarm
no, not helping out Dad.  He is not able to work the mill any longer, I am a forester and am adding this to the things I that I do.  What a great machine! we have many buildings made of the board and battens this mill has sawn, not to mention the lumber we have sawn and had treated. 

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, cgstubbs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!