iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plans ?

Started by Paddlefish, August 17, 2013, 10:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlefish

Anyone have a favorite book of plans ? I'm planning a sawmill purchase (40 portable super WM)  and want some ideas on a pole type structure for the mill and some drying space . I want to have some plan types to show an inspector . Thanks in advance Bud ???

Jim_Rogers

Bud:
Most every frame is designed for the specific location it will be used. Not all, but many.
There are so many factors to take into consideration that there usually isn't a "one size fits all".... frame for sawmills.

Having sides that are open means the frame has to have other members to create stability. Such as braces, and proper post hold downs.

I have drawn plans before for sawmill sheds. But I don't have any one specific plan that I would call a "one size fits all"..... type of thing.

My plan service is listed in the services section of this forum, if you wish to find out more about my service.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

losttheplot

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Paddlefish

Hi Jim , Hi was thinking something along the lines of 24X30 with all outside walls being hinged to open . I'm most curious about roof structure for snow load and that sort of thing ,concrete pad or crusher run floor, minimum door height for an LT40 , largest acceptable span between beams and that kind of thing. I know what I want ,just not sure the strength value I'd need planning on a metal roof 3 posts per side with the 24' sides open. Just picking the brains of the guys doing this for a living .And thanks for the site I saved it to my favorites .Bud

Jim_Rogers

In my post in the services section, I have this frame pictured:

This is 24' x 30' with a low pitch roof. Snow load was for MI.
Sawmill will sit just inside this end so that long logs can be rolled up to the mill.

Is this something you could use?

Jim Rogers

DaleK

http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/frameindex.htm

Lots of plans here for various buildings, nothing specific but just to look through for ideas.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Paddlefish

That's the idea Jim , I plan on being able to open the sides up by means of a hangar door idea where the whole wall works on a hinge bi-fold . I want to be able to pull through , saw inside when weather pushes me inside and still be able to open the side to take out stickered lumber . Would the span be too great to eliminate the posts running down the center so it is wide open ? Bud

Jim_Rogers

Most likely not with a wooden beam. Unless you get fancy and make a wooden truss:
Like this:

I can be done, my friend in Maine did this from seeing the above picture:

But in order to accurately figure it out, we'd need to know where you are and what the snow load for your area would be, to start.

Jim Rogers

Paddlefish

I'm in upstate NY just above the Pa border by about 20 miles . That is a pretty big span , and quite the feat of engineering to boot ! Gee guess I wouldn't need something that big , I do like the picture of the first one you posted . I'm heading up to the town hall in the morning to ask what my oc distance is on posts and beams . I've been told I'm in a flood plain (at 1910' of elevation ) so  I want to see what that is all about. Bud

Thank You Sponsors!