The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Chainsaw and oak  (Read 11901 times)

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
Re: Chainsaw and oak
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 06:48:50 am »
 Put on a brand new bar and chain, semi chisel as bandmiller said. Your sharpened ones should cut just as good, if not you have a bad sharpener and need to find a different one or do it yourself .  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline kenskip1

• Full Member x2
  • Stihl Looking for the fountain of middle age.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »
I would like to know the brand {Texas lingo} of saw, model and type or make of the chain. 325, 3/8? bar length, and is your saw oiler doing it's thing? I am in central Texas and I have no problem working with Oak.Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Offline seanut

• Member*
  • I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 05:42:58 pm »
I have never cut dry Live oak but if it is as hard or harder than dry madrone then I do understand the difficulty. In this regard, I was reading an article on Rapco carbide tipped chains from Vancouver, WA that may offer a real advantage over regular chains. The article stated from testimony the life of a sharp carbide tipped blade is equal to 30 to 5o regular blade sharpenings. Of course the price is considerably more but many users say it is worth it as the carbide tipped chains cut so much faster because they stay sharp and save so much time as well.
I must attest I do not have any direct experience with the carbide tipped chains.