iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tractor

Started by maple flats, August 17, 2013, 07:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I've been looking for a new tractor for maybe 8 yrs. Since I do several things with it I have rather specific requirements. I have a max width for working in my blueberry rows, I want a little more HP (I now have a 20 and a 25 HP, the 25 has a FEL, no cab. It has no power steering, a real minus when the bucket is loaded), must be diesel, power steering and a cab/air/heat. The cab must have a filter that can have a charcoal element for when I spray in the blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and some dwarf peaches and plum, plus a few others. Lastly it must have a FEL with a quick change bucket so I can drop the bucket and hook on a set of forks for hauling barrels of syrup to my warehouse.
Yesterday at the NYS Woodsman's I finally found one. I'm very likely going to get a Mahindra 3616 (36HP), hydro, with all the above. I have a friend who has has a 28 HP version and has used it for about 7-8 yrs. He has had excellent results with it.
I'm going to sell my '79 Ford 1700 4x4 (trading in). The dealer is coming to look at it this morning.
I also use my tractors in the woods both with a 3 point hitch arch and with a Fransgard logging winch. My winch is rated for 40-80 HP and I had to keep loads smaller and go slow using the 25 HP Ford, the 36 HP Mahindra will still be light but it will be a big improvement over the Ford. I'm not getting any wheel weights or loaded tires, but all FEL lifting is always done with a heavy weight box on the 3 pt.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Peter Drouin

Go bigger 80 to 100 horses.
I went with a 80 horse John Deere I'm happy with it :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I don't think that will fit down the blueberry rows. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chevytaHOE5674

Just have to make the rows bigger....  :D

timberlinetree

Will be real nice having a bigger tractor and NEW! Heard they are good tractors! Tuff part will be getting it dirty when its that shiny :D good luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

thecfarm

That sounds good. That will be a big step up for ya. Really need the cab for spraying.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Seaman

Good choice and good luck!
When I took delivery of a new JD back in 2000, as soon as it came off the rollback my hired help handed me a rock and said " go ahead and gouge the hood and be done with it so I can get some work done, I'm not gonna be the first to scratch it!"
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

maple flats

I signed the purchase agreement yesterday. Now I've got to decide if I pay cash or go the 84 mo. 0% option. A $3000 rebate hinges on the decision, but I'll have no reserve if I pay cash, since I bought a new house last year, and hold the mortgage on the old house, plus we loaned my daughter's husband start up cash, I'm likely going the 84mo. route. I need to decide by mid week.
As for dents, right now my only hired hand is my grandson. He wouldn't dare try to have me dent it intentionally. However, I'm not real concerned about dents and scratches. My trucks, tractors and other equipment are just work tools. Now if damage was done that affected it's ability to perform a task correctly, that is different.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Magicman

Just ask how long you have to keep the 84 month deal before it can be paid off without a penalty.  Many times the 0% deal is the best option.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

I never considered a pre-payment penalty. Thanks, I'll ask. But, why would there be a penalty if they are not charging interest? I do realize the $3000 rebate lost is the interest cost in essence.

Magicman

When I bought my F250 in 2012, there was an extra $1000 rebate if I used Ford financing.  If I paid it off in less than 3 months, I would loose that $1000.  I waited 4 months.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

maple flats

On this deal I either get the $3000 rebate OR I use the free financing. There is no rebate if financed using their 0% deal, meaning the available $3000 rebate becomes the cost of the loan.

Piston

Congratulations on the new tractor!  I think (but can't confirm since I have never used a cab CUT tractor) that you'll reeaaallly like the cab!  I have a cab on my full sized backhoe and I can't help but dream about having a nice luxurious cab on my tractor too  ;D

Congrats.  8) 8) 8) 8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Magicman

Quote from: maple flats on August 18, 2013, 07:53:57 PMthe available $3000 rebate becomes the cost of the loan. 
Then you would need to check other financing opportunities and determine what their finance rate would be for the same length of the loan.  I certainly would make a comparison, if for no other reason than to keep them honest.

Piston

Quote from: Magicman on August 18, 2013, 09:04:30 PM
Quote from: maple flats on August 18, 2013, 07:53:57 PMthe available $3000 rebate becomes the cost of the loan. 
Then you would need to check other financing opportunities and determine what their finance rate would be for the same length of the loan.  I certainly would make a comparison, if for no other reason than to keep them honest.

That's a good point Lynn, a 25k dollar loan, at 4.5% over 5 years, would cost 2,964 in interest, so anything less than 4.5% on a loan (at 25k) would save you money, not only that, but if you pay it off early, you'd save even more. 

Unfortunately the 0% interest thing is more of a marketing scam....well, not scam, but clever marketing to make it "seem" like your not paying for financing. 

Even still though, it may be the best way to go.  I've often thought about buying a new tractor with the 0% interest, knowing full well that it isn't really 0%.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

grweldon

I think the point Lynn is trying to make is that you find out if there is a pre-payment penalty term (his example was that if you paid it off within 3 months, you lost the rebate) then wait until the pre-payment penalty term ends and payoff the loan.  That way you get the $3000 rebate AND pay minimal interest until you pay off the tractor.

I apologize if in the previous messages this conclusion was already drawn and I missed it...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Dave Shepard

The 3k is only for a cash sale. I think piston is on the right track. Finance elsewhere, get the discount, and pay it off early. That way you are only paying for the duration of financing needed, instead of paying for the entire duration up front by not getting the discount.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maple flats

I've decided to finance thru my credit union. They will have no idea when I pay it off. If I don't pay it off early it will actually cost me about $100 more over the term, if I finance the current balance after the rebate. However, I have paid off early on every loan I've had in the past 10 years. I fully expect to do the same again.
I'll be getting delivery Friday (possibly Thursday). Then my first chore will be to connect a solenoid valve to control my sprayer. I sprayed this morning and should again next Monday (weather permitting). I just ordered the valve, tomorrow I'll get the tracking info. In the past this co. has always shipped within 1 day, hopefully it does this time.

Piston

Quote from: maple flats on August 19, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

I'll be getting delivery Friday (possibly Thursday). Then my first chore will be to post some pictures of my new toy for my forestry forum friends, then connect a solenoid valve to control my sprayer. I sprayed this morning and should again next Monday (weather permitting). I just ordered the valve, tomorrow I'll get the tracking info. In the past this co. has always shipped within 1 day, hopefully it does this time.

Fixed... ;D
-Matt

Magicman

It is smart that you seriously looked at all of the financing options and made a decision based on your situation.  Now you can concentrate on the tractor rather than second guessing your decision.   smiley_thumbsup  Congrats on the tractor.   :)

sandhills

Quote from: Piston on August 19, 2013, 09:51:59 PM
Quote from: maple flats on August 19, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

I'll be getting delivery Friday (possibly Thursday). Then my first chore will be to post some pictures of my new toy for my forestry forum friends, then connect a solenoid valve to control my sprayer. I sprayed this morning and should again next Monday (weather permitting). I just ordered the valve, tomorrow I'll get the tracking info. In the past this co. has always shipped within 1 day, hopefully it does this time.

Fixed... ;D

Could it be that the only thing we enjoy more than our own toys is seeing pictures of our friends new toys?  ;D
EDIT: replace toys with tools

maple flats

I also decided this week to pay $2000 more up front. This brings the finance charge down to slightly less than the rebate, even if I don't pay off early.

maple flats

The Tractor was delivered last evening, right as a torrential rainstorm was tapering off. We went in the sugarhouse and finished the paperwork and by the time that was finished the rain had quit. The dealer went thru the introduction to my new tractor, but I only drove it a couple minutes so far. More to come today. I guess I'll need to get some pictures. So far there is just one thing that seems odd, my old tractor REL was only rated to lift 950# and the new is rated at 1650# but the  new bucket is slightly smaller. It has the skid steer style quick chance style and I'll be getting a set of forks for it. I most likely will resume an old plan for evaporator wood. Several years ago, I made a wood rack, on a homemade pallet, with corner posts, diag. braces and a sloped steel roof. My plan was to make several and stack the maple syrup evaporator wood in them, off the splitter and then just remove an empty and replace with a full one as needed in the sugarhouse. I had to change that plan. My old tractor could barely lift a full rack and without power steering (PS) I could only manage to turn it on hard dry ground. To make a sharp turn I had to put the load down, hold the front of the tractor up , turn the wheel and then lift again. When the ground got soft the front tires rutted things up too much too. This new tractor has bigger front tires, PS , much more lift and I have a weight box for the rear. I'll make another rack and try it this next season. If it works as well as I expect I'll make several and my wood handling will be much less labor intensive, quicker and easier. My brother has a set of forks I can borrow until I find a set of my own, I now only have clamp on forks and that puts the load out front maybe 2' which doesn't help any.

maple flats

First broken light. I only had my new tractor about 40 hrs, (and I don't mean on the hour meter)  when I broke a light off the cab. I was testing to see if the tractor will fit down my blueberry rows for spraying without more pruning. The answer is NO. I hooked the brush hog type mower behind the tractor and mowed while testing the spray rows (I use an air blast sprayer and drive every 4th aisle). After finishing I noticed that one of the cab flasher/turn signal lights had broken off. I went to an Advance Auto to get a new one, I needed amber/amber, they only carry red/red. I then tried TSC, same, so I went to a big NAPA, they had red/red and red/amber. I guess I'll need to order one or buy an amber lens and a red/amber and change the one lens. Then I'll need to prune more intensively in the blueberries.

Larro Darro

Congrats on the new tractor. And finding the best deal on the loan. Paying more upfront always pays off double in the end.
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

thecfarm

That is too bad. Could you weld/bolt something around the lens? probably will happen again in a few years when they grow back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

I'm going to recommend you hold off on fixing that light till you get settled.

I had a buddy years ago who bought a barely used BMW motorcycle for little $.  Problem was he had never ridden a bike before and he didn't tell me that until I dropped him off to pick it up.  He followed me home and dumped it in my front yard.  He only cracked a turn signal but was all upset about it.  I glued it up for him that night but he had to get a new one.  Well no sooner than he does that, he went and dumped it again and ripped the light clean off that time.

Back to tractors,  Why do you need a turn signal anyways?  BUt I'm with Cfarm, you should probably put a hoop around it to protect it if it's that vulnerable 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Skip

Been thinking of one but not sure on how they do on hills my backyard has a lot of swales aqnybody know how they hold on banks? I currently use a cub cadet lt 40

beenthere

Skip
There are ways to widen the rears to handle slopes, but all things have their limits.
Usually, the limit is more than the pucker factor will allow but one has to consider chuck holes, stumps, rocks, and slippery slopes that can alter that point.

I added 2" spacers to each rear to set them out, and they made a world of difference to the feel in the woods.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

My tractors is good on slopes. I don't push my luck though and go real slow,bucket low as possible. I try to only go straight up and down when possible. On my big tractor there are a few ways to make the tires stick out more. The rims can be turned around and what they bolt on to can be swapped around too. We do mow a steep banken,straight up and down only. My FIL has a tractor and see some of the places that we go with ours and he says he feels his would tip over. The places he sees are not all that bad. He says he would not even dare to go up the backen we mow. He feels his would tip over backwards on him.How many hp is the cub cadet?

samandothers

Good thing I am in the south and don't need a cab.  Where I go I would have removed several cab pieces. 

maple flats

Quote from: thecfarm on August 24, 2013, 09:58:06 PM
That is too bad. Could you weld/bolt something around the lens? probably will happen again in a few years when they grow back.
I thought about putting a metal housing on them but if they caught something sturdy I'd have much more serious damage.
I need the lights because farmers can get ticketed driving on the road if they don't have the proper lighting and SMV (slow moving vehicle sign). I frequently need to drive a busy county road, and then a busier state highway than on the way intersects an even busier state highway, going from my sugarhouse/ large commercial garden, to my blueberry/raspberry fields. This is only 7/10 mile, but there is too much danger if I have no flashers going. Besides, my farm liability insurance requires me to have and use them or a claim could be declined.
My tractor is set at 60" wide, it could go to almost 7' wide or down to 54" wide. I need it at 5' to fit (almost!) in my blueberry rows, and I have no hills. I only need to watch for ditches and large holes (fox or woodchuck). I don't use a tractor in the hills where my sugarbush leases are, there I just use my ATV, on that  I added spacers on the front so I could run chains on all 4's. It does add some stability. My other woods work toy is a snowmobile.

Hilltop366

If there is a way to put a sloped bars over the light (front to back) along with a hoop (up down) so the offending branches would get guided over the light it would stop branches from getting the light.

maple flats

I'll study that thought, but when the cab doors are opened they swing very wide. It may not offer much slope, but again, I'll study the idea.

Thank You Sponsors!