Has anyone else had problems with the 16hp briggs and stratton?

Started by JSwigga, March 14, 2013, 06:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

We got a Lucas dedicated slabber about 3 months ago.  It has the Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 16 hp.  We have about 42 hours on it and it's been back for warranty work twice already.  First time the oil sump gasket was leaking.  Today the whole motor just locked up.   We had the maintenance done on it and everything.   Anyone else experiencing problems like this or did I just a get a lemon motor?
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

JSwigga

Matthew or Wayne.  Can you check your support emails.  I want to try to resolve this lemon motor issue. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JSwigga

Lucas Mill Reps that responded to this post.  Haven't been able to get ahold them since last week.

JSwigga

sawguy21

First you need to determine what locked up and why. Is it a hydraulic lock from fuel pouring into the cylinders or something more serious?
We have seen problems with oil leaks at the crankcase cover, usually due the weight of a hydraulic pump distorting it. The usual fix is a second gasket and retorquing the bolts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JSwigga

UPDATE:   all problems have been resolved.  Lucas Mill reps were very helpful.  I even got a free tee shirt out of the deal. 8) 

logboy

I'm curious what the issue was on your engine. I just replaced the CARB compliant (California Air Resources Board) carburetor on mine since it never idled right. It was always starved for fuel and constantly died.  If it was cold then it was a bear to start. I lost an hour on a job one day trying to get it started.  No fault of Lucas, its the new regs we unfortunately have.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com