iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member intro - Santa Cruz, CA

Started by GrizzlyMark, August 15, 2013, 09:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyMark

Hi Everybody,

I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself.  I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and have some property in the Santa Cruz Mountains where I get to play homesteader on the weekends with my wife and sons.  I have a few chainsaws (Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo), Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw mill, Mobile Dimension sawmill, and a few tractors. 

My property has lots of redwood trees and I'm currently researching pole saws so that I can trim the lower branches.  I'm almost decided on the Husqvarna 327PT5S.  If anybody has any experience with this unit I'd appreciate your opinions.

Here is me running my sawmill.  This Mobile Dimension sawmill was built in 1982 and has been traded around various mountain folks over the years.

Regards,
Mark

thecfarm

GrizzlyMark,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good setup for support equipment for your mill. What's all the lumber being used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, GrizzlyMark.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kderby

Welcome to the fold Mr Grizz. 

I have two friends with Mobile Dimensions and they do a fine job.  I have them do the logs that my Mizer can't handle (fifty six inch spruce for example).

Carry on and keep up on the pictures!

Kderby

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark. Great picture.
Santa Cruz is a great place with beautiful mountains.

Allan

nk14zp

Welcome to the site.  I haven't been to Santa Cruz since 1986 nice place for the wrong coast.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

I like that MD sawmill, too. 8)
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Roxie

A very nice introduction, with pictures too!  Welcome to the forum.   :)
Say when

Bill Gaiche

Welcome. Whats your project predictions? bg

Andy White

G. Mark
Welcom to the forum. I like that MD mill. I have built two 1776 cc engines for a friend to put on his. That's the mill for cutting big wood like you have on your place. Good luck, and be safe.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

GrizzlyMark

Thanks for all the warm welcome messages!

I've used the sawmill for just a few projects so far.  Planter boxes for a friend, stand-offs for attaching zipline cable to a few trees, and most recently a 3' x 3' x 3' spring box.

Spring box under construction:

Here is my son (and a buddy) digging out the spring in preparation for the new spring box.

The next sawmill project is to mill a big pile of 1x6 redwood that I can use to panel the inside walls of my 30' Rainier yurt.  Probably will need to let them dry for 6+ months since I don't yet have a kiln.  Someday I hope to build a solar kiln but that is fairly low on the list.

Regards,
Mark

mesquite buckeye

Solar? I thought you guys were buried under the fog belt. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kderby

Put the 1x6 up green, just allow for shrink. 

In the old days they did not have time to dry everything.  Board and bat goes up green and the bats cover the cracks.  The 1x6 can be placed without nails and tapped tighter as the shrink occurs.

Kiln Dry (in construction lumber) means that the wood is dried below a moisture content that will allow mold to form.  unless you are building violins you may not need a kiln.  Oh, Wait...Stradivarius did not have a kiln...nuff said.

Kderby

Thank You Sponsors!