iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw to the heart chek

Started by Tom, January 28, 2002, 02:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

See that crack in the middle of the log?  That is a Heart Check.  Some call it a Heart Shake here.

If you cut boards at a 900 angle to it, then your boards will have a split down the middle.  It's really important when cutting cypress that you don't do that.

One of the things you look for first when you put a log on the mill is the Heart Check.  Try, if you can, to cut the boards horizontal to it and you will get fewer bad boards.

woodmills1

our local red oak will act just the same.  sometimes a cutter of logs will crack one with a similiar fault.  like you said if i line the flaw up i lose one board.  if i dont whoops there goes the can o peas today.   :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Papa Dave

I mostly cut red oak and have found the same thing to be true. Thanks Tom.

Jeff

Tom is directly responsible for lower production in our mill. Tom and I had this conversation months ago about heart check, so now I find myself looking for it in every log when I never did before. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Papa Dave

Jeff, you should send him a case of off brand peas. I bet he is so tight, he could not stand to throw them away and would be forced to eat them. ;D :D

woodmills1

:D :D :D ha ha generic peas  :D plain white lable  :D just says PEAS  :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CHARLIE

Oh Lordy, Lordy....don't do that!  Sure as heck he'd save that generic, white labeled can of peas for me the next time I offload for him. ::)  That reminds me......the next time I go down there I've got to remember to take my whittled wooden spoon. ???
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!