iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any uses for box elder (acer negundo) other than turning CO2 into O2?

Started by Andy B., August 14, 2013, 09:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy B.

I'm not sure if this is a Forest Education question, or Forestry and Logging question.

One of my goals is to make my small patch of woods more healthy, but also to make it more pleasing to ME.  We have a lot of box elder.  I hate them.  None are over about 12" in diameter, and all they do is drop branches all over when the wind blows.  They don't make very good firewood, none are straight enough to get a board more than 3' long from them, and in general I find the tree ugly.  I have plenty of various oaks, shagbark hickory, black walnut, various maples, mulberry, ash, some tulip polar, a few pines, some locust, and the usual Pennsylvania bushes and shrubs.  I have planted sycamore, persimmon, sweetgum, loblolly pine, black cherry, and quite a few apple trees (a few other fruit trees as well).  Some of the trees I plant for me, some for local wildlife to make use of.

So, any good reason why I shouldn't cut down the box elders as I come across them?  There are many other trees I'd rather the sunlight and water go towards growing than box elders.  Don't get me wrong, if a box elder is growing along a stream bank not bothering anyone, I'm not going to go out of my way to cut it down.  But if I have a choice of planting a few more apple trees or looking at a box elder, I prefer the box elder goes into the firewood pile.

Andy B.

WDH

In the Forest Industry here in the South, it is considered a low grade weed tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy B.

beenthere

Do some FF searching, and see some of the boxelder products members have shown. Depends on the size.
But much is weed and at best some BTU's
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

The wood can be very pretty. There are several posts/photos somewhere around here. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

It's your land,do as you please. My weed tree is fir. Most times it gets about 4 inches through and breaks off about 3 feet high. It's all rotten in the middle,even if it's standing 6 inches through. I might just as well cut everyone I come too and use it for firewood in my OWB. I kinda do that when I am cutting for the sawmill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Andy B.

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 14, 2013, 10:00:41 PM
You planted sweet gum?!  :) talk about a weed tree

Only a few.  For animal food.  Before I knew its reputation.  :laugh:
At least I like how they look.

celliott

Any interest in syrup making?
Box elder can be tapped and the sap collected and boiled to make syrup. The sugar concentration of the sap isn't as high as Sugar maple, Acer saccharum but it can still be done. Not sure how much land, or how many trees you are talking about here, but could be a good hobby for the family in the springtime, boil it in a pan on your grill, or find a small arch somewhere.
So yes, there is a legitimate use for box elder besides burning it  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Andy B.

We have about 18 acres and probably 13 is woods.  I don't know if there is enough box elder to get maple syrup in any quantity, but I didn't realize the sap from one would work.  We do have two 30-36" maples of some variety in my backyard that I keep thinking of trying to tap.

For now I'm not going on a box elder eradication hunt, but it sounds as if they aren't anything special that I need to worry about cutting a few down when they're in the way.

I did look at several of the other threads on them and saw where one member made some beautiful bowls out of the wood.  If I come across any solid chunks that show a lot of red when I start cutting it, maybe I'll put a few pieces aside.

Andy B.

WDH

Actually, box elder is in the maple family, so it is a cousin. 

Thank You Sponsors!