iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much set?

Started by Skoalbandit78, August 13, 2013, 08:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoalbandit78

Hey guys, I was wondering how much set you all run for yellow poplar. I appreciate any help. Thanks

nk14zp

What type of saw band or circle?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Skoalbandit78

Sorry, it is a norwood bandsaw.

barbender

Although I've never sawn yellow poplar, I bet .020" would work fine on it. Someone who saws it would know better though ;)
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

What ever you are running it will likely cut fine. Popular is fairly easy to saw. I would not change my set just to cut it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

I would treat it a lot like Pine (about the same hardness) and set my bands anywhere from .025 - .030!

I'm going to be sawing some Poplar in another week or so and my bands are set at .028!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Skoalbandit78

drobertson

Factory sets will be just fine, .026- just under .030, like custom said, no reason to change anything,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!