iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking manual log turner on the 1400 with large logs and possible mods.

Started by grweldon, August 13, 2013, 08:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Howdy all!

One of the things that I wasn't completely satisfied with when I took delivery of my mill last year was the manual log turner.  It consists of a conventional chain-type turner arm with some pretty heavy-duty chain on it.  The arm is raised by the same winch used to load logs on the mill, only the winch cable configuration has to be changed before it can be used.  There is a small diameter steel rod that is attached to the sprockets that runs to the rear of the mill to which a hand crank is welded.  You turn the crank to turn the chain.  I think you get the picture.

I used it once or twice when I first got it and I determined that it was pretty much a time-consuming waste of time to use, mainly because of the cable switchover after each log.  I found it much faster to turn the logs with my 4' cant hook.  Keep in mind that I usually mill pines in the 12-16" diameter category.

The last few weeks I have been milling some larger logs... 22-24" diameter at the butt.  I struggled turning the log last week with the cant hook, but with some severe straining I was able to turn it 90 degrees from the opening cut, but just barely.  This week I'm milling a 15' long 23" dia. (butt end) log.  After opening on Sunday afternoon, I found I couldn't budge it with the cant hook.  Last night I tried again, same results obviously.  I figured I would try the log turner just for giggles and grins, just to say I exhaused all options before I approached the wife for a capital appropriation to get something to help me turn logs.

Although it took a while to change over the cable and prepare for use and it required much elbow (and shoulder) grease to turn the crank, I was surprised that the device turned the log quite well and with a few modifications would probably work quite well!  Looking over the chain/sprocket arrangement, it actually uses a double reduction that allows the relatively small crank length to be able to transmit a good deal of force.  Below is a picture of the log after turning and removing the slab.

The mods that I may eventuall make allowing the turner to be a very useful tool would be the addition of another winch so that the cables wouldn't have to be reconfigured between logs.  From the factory, the rod that attaches to the sprocket of the chain is supported by a piece of steel with a hole in it at the rear end of the mill.  The hole just supports the rod, it's not a bearing of any sort.  If a flange-mounted roller/ball bearing were used to support the rod, the turning force would be much easier to transmit effectively from the crank to the sprocket.  The short hand crank used to turn the rod has a short throw, I would estimate that it is about 10-12".  The length that it can be is limited by ground clearance.  If an appropriate alternate mounting location could be found, the crank could be lengthened allowing more force with less effort.  Lastly, the crank is welded on to the turning shaft.  If it could be removable (good sliding fit secured with a bolt maybe?) the shaft could be fitted with a hex shape on the end where a large ratchet or other device (high-torque drill?) could turn the chain.

All-in-all, I was happily surprised that I could turn the log with the manual turner.  On the opposite side of the coin the beef I've had with the mill from day one was that with just a bit of attention to detail and a minimal bit of additional engineering, this budget-minded mill could be transformed from a mill that does the job, but...   to a mill that is outstanding in it's class. The price would increase minimally but the functionality would increase, maybe even tenfold!

Maybe TimberKing is listening.  I have a list of these "little things" that could easily be improved that I sent to them but never did hear anything back from them.  Why not take the opportunity to go from "adequate" to "outstanding"?  I'm sure there are reasons, but maybe they are not as valid as they once might have been.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ga Mtn Man

It's good that the turner worked better than you initially thought.  How about using  a low RPM 12V gearmotor?  Some of those things can be pretty torque-ey.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Will_Johnson

Hi GR:

I am glad that the turner did the job for you. As you imply the 1400 is a mill that offers a lot of rugged functionality for a budget price.

Like any manufacturer as we try to balance cost with function there are trade offs. What we try not to skimp on are the things that will make the mill last and work over the long haul: heavy construction, hydraulic functionality etc.

Every customer is different, special and unique. So inevitably there are boxes you wish we'd checked and boxes you say to yourself: that doesn't really matter to me, wish they had done x instead of y.

All of that said, please keep in touch with your ideas and improvements to the 1400. Over the years many of our best, most simple, most rugged and cost-effective solutions have come from customers. Please feel free to email me directly with your ideas. (wjohnson@timberking.com)

While we absolutely feel we make the best machines in the industry, bar none, and offer the best service, bar none, we're not perfect and would never claim to be. Indeed we are constantly improving our machines and our organization and would welcome your input on this process.

Best,

Will

grweldon

Thanks Will for the reply and the invitation to email you.  I'll be in touch!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!