iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gettysburg / Fredericksburg trip

Started by John_Haylow, August 13, 2013, 07:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

My wife and I plan to visit Gettysburg and then head down to Fredericksburg to visit some of the civil war sites. I am looking for any tips that any of you may have as far as travel, lodging, or things to see.

Thank you,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Raider Bill

Buy the book "Killer Angels" better yet get the audio book and listen to it on the way south. It is about the battle of Gettysburg. Probably the best one out there. Another thing I'd suggest is when you get to Gettysburg get one of the self tour CD's. It directs you around the battlefield and narrates what happened at each spot all from the comfort of your car.
Last time there I spent 2 days and really wished I could have spent another day. The museum is unbelievable.
The most moving part is to stand on the "high water mark" and try to visualize what happened.

Lot's of battle sites around Fredericksburg.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DR_Buck

When you get farther south there are a lot of Civil War sites in Northern VA, including the Manassas Battlefield.  (Known by the rebels as Bull Run.  :D)   Wast of Fredericksburg is the Wilderness Battlefield as well.

Also stay away from the I-66 east, I-495 beltway and I-95 south toward Fredericksburg.  Take 15 south out of Gettysburg down to Opal (south of Warrenton VA) and pick up 17 south the Fredericksburg.   You'll thank me later.  ;D

Plenty of the normal hotels and motels to stay at.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

John_Haylow

Thanks for your replies. My wife has read Killer Angels and all the other Civil War books by the author and his son. Apparently there's another series out. We'll definitely get the tour CD. And thanks for the travel tips, Dr. Buck...looking on a map that makes a lot of sense. Don't worry, we won't be caught asking any Virginians for directions to "Bull Run"  ;)
It will be very moving for us to walk these sites; we are both very interested in the war and spend time at Fort Fisher when we vacation in NC. I had a relative in the 6th NC Infantry and one in the 5th Michigan Cavalry.

Raider Bill

Quote from: John_Haylow on August 13, 2013, 08:17:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. My wife has read Killer Angels and all the other Civil War books by the author and his son. Apparently there's another series out. We'll definitely get the tour CD. And thanks for the travel tips, Dr. Buck...looking on a map that makes a lot of sense. Don't worry, we won't be caught asking any Virginians for directions to "Bull Run"  ;)
It will be very moving for us to walk these sites; we are both very interested in the war and spend time at Fort Fisher when we vacation in NC. I had a relative in the 6th NC Infantry and one in the 5th Michigan Cavalry.

Jeff Sahara the authors son has written 2 new series. 1 is about WW1 and the other WW2. I enjoy his books and like to listen to them on my long drives.

submarinesailor

Quote from: DR_Buck on August 13, 2013, 12:51:49 PM
When you get farther south there are a lot of Civil War sites in Northern VA, including the Manassas Battlefield.  (Known by the rebels as Bull Run.  :D)   Wast of Fredericksburg is the Wilderness Battlefield as well.

Also stay away from the I-66 east, I-495 beltway and I-95 south toward Fredericksburg.  Take 15 south out of Gettysburg down to Opal (south of Warrenton VA) and pick up 17 south the Fredericksburg.   You'll thank me later.  ;D

Ditto what Dave said.  Stay out of Fairfax, Arlington and Prince Williams counties as much as you can.  And stay out of DC, unless you want to visit the Smithsonian museums.  The tarffic around here will drive you nuts.  That's why Dave and I are so crazy. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Bruce

Fraxinus

We have been to all those sites many times.  Take as much time as you can possibly spare.
You didn't mention Antietam in Sharpsburg, MD.  That may be our favorite of all.  Beautiful place and not all commercialized like Gettysburg.  It's just down the road from Gettysburg, not all that far.  A "must see", IMO.  Go to Harper's Ferry, WV, too. 
Like others have said, if you stay away from the Beltway and come into Fredericksburg from the NW, I believe you will find it much more enjoyable.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Fraxinus

Quote from: DR_Buck on August 13, 2013, 12:51:49 PM
When you get farther south there are a lot of Civil War sites in Northern VA, including the Manassas Battlefield.  (Known by the rebels as Bull Run.  :D)   
Actually, it was the other way around.  The Rebs call it Manassas and the Yanks call it Bull Run.  Same with Sharpsburg/Antietam.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

DR_Buck

There is also the recently rediscovered Graffiti House just outside of Culpeper.

http://www.brandystationfoundation.com/
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Fraxinus

Quote from: DR_Buck on August 17, 2013, 02:36:49 PM
There is also the recently rediscovered Graffiti House just outside of Culpeper.

http://www.brandystationfoundation.com/
My wife has not heard of that, which surprises me because she is way more informed about all that than I am.  Reads all the time.  Maybe another trip we'll go there ifI get to make one, but not this time.

John_Haylow

We are wondering which route would be better from Buffalo to Gettysburg US219 or US15.
thanks,
John

Brian_Rhoad

US 15 goes directly to Gettysburg. US 219 is 100 miles to the West.

John_Haylow

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on October 16, 2013, 06:23:35 PM
US 15 goes directly to Gettysburg. US 219 is 100 miles to the West.

I was just going by google map which shows both routes, 219 being about ½ hour longer drive. I'm just wondering which would be the nicer drive?
John

Brian_Rhoad

15 runs along the Susquehanna River a lot of the way. 219 runs through the mountains. Either way would be a nice drive this time of the year.

submarinesailor

I will be taking US15 from the Manassas, VA area all the way up to Painted Post, NY starting here in a few hours.  It is one of my favorite drives.  I really like driving alone side the river north of Harrisburg and the area north of Williamsport.

Watch for the COPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Raider Bill

Quote from: submarinesailor on October 18, 2013, 03:16:16 PM
I will be taking US15 from the Manassas, VA area all the way up to Painted Post, NY starting here in a few hours.  It is one of my favorite drives.  I really like driving alone side the river north of Harrisburg and the area north of Williamsport.

Watch for the COPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

That's a pretty ride when the leaves are changing. :)

John_Haylow

Thank you all for the tips. I think we will take US15 down to Gettysburg and US 219 on our return trip home from Lexington Va.

Thanks again,
John

John_Haylow

We got home yesterday from our six day trip. We visited Gettysburg, Fredericksburg and Lexington VA and the Natural Bridge. We took the Blue Ridge parkway and Skyline drive on the way home. We had a great trip and good weather for most of it. Thanks again for all your tips.
John

Leigh Family Farm

Did the shutdown effect your trip at all with the National Parks?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

John_Haylow

No but we were getting close to postponing our trip, they were back to work a few days before we left.

Thank You Sponsors!