iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cracking in the gullet - and when to change a blade based on hyd pressure?

Started by acrosteve, August 12, 2013, 04:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrosteve

I saw the thread about leaving the blade tension on overnight.  I will admit that sometimes I have forgotten to release it when I finished sawing.

I also have probably used a blade much past where it needed resharpened.  I have thought that that would also stress the blade to the point of cracking.

But recently, I have started watching the pressure gage on my carriage feed more than I have been watching the actual carriage.  It seems that in oak, a new blade starts out at about 600psi, and as the blade dulls, the pressure climbs upwards of 700.  Consistently above 800 and the blade comes off.

My B-20 has a pressure gage on the blade tension also.  I run it around 1,000 psi.

Obviously cracking in the gullet excludes it from being sharpened - therefore I want to avoid having it happen.

My question is, what are the causes of the gullet cracking?
Timberking B-20

Larry

My old mill had electric feed.  As the band dulled I had to increase speed...in other words turned up the rheostat.  On my TK2000 it doesn't have a gauge and it's impossible to tell from the feed dial, but I'm sure I have to turn up the feed as the band dulls on it to.

If your band is coming off I would suspect a problem even though you are feeding with more power.

Cracking in the gullets can come from a variety of reasons.  Band running to far from the roller flange, bad bearings, worn belt (if on steel worn wheel), and probably other reasons I haven't experienced and don't want to.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

redprospector

In my experience, trying to cut with a dull blade will cause cracking in the gullet.
You're way ahead of the game if you'll change out blades before it really gets dull.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ladylake

Quote from: Larry on August 12, 2013, 05:02:21 PM
My old mill had electric feed.  As the band dulled I had to increase speed...in other words turned up the rheostat.  On my TK2000 it doesn't have a gauge and it's impossible to tell from the feed dial, but I'm sure I have to turn up the feed as the band dulls on it to.

If your band is coming off I would suspect a problem even though you are feeding with more power.

Cracking in the gullets can come from a variety of reasons.  Band running to far from the roller flange, bad bearings, worn belt (if on steel worn wheel), and probably other reasons I haven't experienced and don't want to.

Larry    A band running to far from the flange will crack in the back of the blade, a band running too close to the flange will bend around the guide wheel causing it to crack in the gullet. I set the flange almost 1/4" behind the back of the blade with real good results.  On time the flange got real close to the back of the blade and broke about 6 almost new blades real fast, I pay attention to that now.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tom the Sawyer

Larry,

"Consistently above 800 and the blade comes off."

I think he meant that once the pressure got up to 800 he would pull the blade to resharpen, not that it came off the rollers.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Brian_Rhoad

Not grinding enough in the gullet when sharpening will cause cracks.

LeeB

Not grinding enough won't actually cause cracks, it will however allow existing micro cracks to become big cracks.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

acrosteve

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on August 12, 2013, 07:57:37 PM
Larry,

"Consistently above 800 and the blade comes off."

I think he meant that once the pressure got up to 800 he would pull the blade to resharpen, not that it came off the rollers.

Correct.
Timberking B-20

Thank You Sponsors!