iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse winch broke.

Started by timeout, August 12, 2013, 04:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timeout

I have destroyed the pulley in the block that swivels on the top of a 2500 Norse winch. Labonville no longer has that part available. It is part number 251029. I have done some research for a replacement, but so far come up empty. Does anybody know where I can find a rugged 5" diameter pulley, and bearing that will go on a 3/4" bolt.?
Apparently, my stressing it with red oak was too much for it. I will try to be gentler in the future.
"Another day closer to heaven."

treefarm

Do a search for McMaster Carr. They're an industrial supply place in NJ, and have darn near anything you could need, made out of any material available. and their shipping usually has it there, UPS, the next day. It's like Graingers on steroids. Good luck!
Treefarm

thecfarm

That is too bad. I myself never cared for any of the winches with the swivel pulley on top. I have a Norse,the one with the hinged butt plate. I have no idea the model,looks like the 450 that is out now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brian_Rhoad

grassfed

Do a web search for sheave and add the diameter and cable size you need. you should be able to use steel to make up the rest. I tried a search for 4"x 1/2 sheave and came up with this

http://www.esheaves.com/
Mike

grassfed

Mike

timeout

Update on Norse winch problem. Took all the advice and researched and couldn't find a close enough replacement that would work without some modification. Ended up at Motion Industries and set the pulley on the counter. The gentleman was able to find a roller bearing that would fit inside the pulley and slide on the bolt. I made some spacers out of flattened out lock washers and put it back together. This is probably a temporary fix. I'm using it again , and keeping a closer eye on the pulley. I am still looking for a replacement.

North River Energy

Would be interested to see the damaged part.  Don't suppose you took a photo?

timeout

Quote from: North River Energy on August 15, 2013, 10:34:53 PM
Would be interested to see the damaged part.  Don't suppose you took a photo?
No photo. Steel pulley that is approximately 5" in diameter. 3/4" in width. Has a bearing that goes on a bolt that is a little over 3/4". These measurements are close ,because this part is metric.Pulley cable groove is getting very thin on sidewalls that is why I am looking for a replacement. What do other brand winches use for top swivel pulley blocks?

North River Energy

This turned up on a search for 'cable sheave'
http://bearequipment.com/product_sheaves.html

Quick chart does not show a direct replacement based on your description, but they may have something not listed.

I'd be tempted to uprate to something more durable, if you have the means of altering the sheave carrier.

Tom_Averwater

Have one made at a machine shop .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Thank You Sponsors!