iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

24x24 cabin material list

Started by bigred1951, August 11, 2013, 07:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

well hopefully you guys can help me out. Im wanting to start building a 24x24 foot cabin but i need some help on figuring out how much lumber i would need. I know for the floors i want to use either 2x8s or 2x10s depending. Of course 2x4s for the framing and i figured 2x6s for the rafters. I figure everything at 16 inches apart and its gonna be open inside just one big room. But hopefully one of you guys can chime in and give me some advice or would know how much lumber i would need so i wont buy to much or to little.

Planman1954

Have you thought about roof trusses? At a 24' span, you'll need 2x12's...pricey! You might want to go 20'x26' or something to cut down on the size of ceiling joists.
2x8x16" on center would work fine for the floors with a center beam support for the floor. 2x4x16" oc walls, and 2x6x16" oc rafters would be fine. (Down here, we typically space them 2x6x24" oc...but don't have many snow days to worry about.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

beenthere

br
Cathedral ceiling?
On a foundation, over a crawl space?

Inside finish? paneling or drywall?

Insulation?

Roofing?  metal, or shingle

Sheathing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigred1951

Im not sure about the trusses i know that i dont want to go out and buy some premaid I want to do it all my self. I tryed to figure up how many 2x8s i would need for the floor and i got around 38 to do the floor but i figure 40 just to make sure.

bigred1951

no just a regular plain ceiling haha. In a way im building it like a shed but gonna make it a cabin. I planned to either put post in the ground as a foundation to build on or block the corners up and so on but not a couple block all the way around. As far as the inside im going back and forth between paneling or drywall and ive even thought about both as like a drywall on top of the walls with wood paneling on the bottom. Insulation is a yes and roofing id like metal but would consider shingle just depends on what i can get at a better deal. And as sheating im guessing you mean like house wrap and suck and yes i plan to put up plywood on the outside the wrap it all then either board and batten or lap siding

bigred1951

now that i think of it a cathedral ceiling would be really nice but it would depend on how much more money and work it would cost to do it

beenthere

This room is 24 x 30, with cathedral ceiling (added on to our home) 12 yrs ago.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

For 16" oc studs I usually get 1 per foot. You will need to know your window and door size to get the correct header size. ( don't forget to add 2x the stud thickness + rso to the header length)

WmFritz

Quote from: beenthere on August 11, 2013, 09:28:11 PM
This room is 24 x 30, with cathedral ceiling (added on to our home) 12 yrs ago.

That "room"  is the size of a small house! Very nice. I'm guessing about 1000sf of cedar on that ceiling.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Real close on the sq ft, and it allowed some high grading to remove some defect such as large knots, and edge splits of tongues and/or grooves.
Went up pre-oiled and random length.
We call it the "great room" for more reasons than one. ;)

south central Wisconsin

grweldon

Very pretty room Beenthere!  Did you use scissors trusses or are those 2x rafters?

BTW, what is your first name if you don't mind me asking...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

QuoteDid you use scissors trusses or are those 2x rafters?

2x12's on 24" centers

south central Wisconsin

grweldon

Thanks... great picture, and I guess you DO mind me asking your first name!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WmFritz

I did my cabin roof similar with the lam beam. Instead of 2x12 lumber, I used TGI floor joist for rafters.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

beenthere

gr
Just been or bt will work too.  ;)

Or, you can call me Bob.
south central Wisconsin

grweldon

Quote from: WmFritz on August 12, 2013, 11:52:40 AM
I did my cabin roof similar with the lam beam. Instead of 2x12 lumber, I used TGI floor joist for rafters.

BT... gotch...

Fritz... I've built a 16' wide shed-type addition with a vaulted ceiling with 11.25" deep wood I-beams as well.  With the overhang, they ended up being 22' long.  A bunch lighter and cheaper than 2x12x24' lumber (can you get them that long?).  They worked very well on 24" centers.  We only have a few PSF snow load in Alabama.  You could go to 16" or 12" spacing for a northern snow load...

WmFritz

GR... 2x12x24' can be bought at a regular lumber yard. Not sure about HD or Lowes.  Mine are 24" centers as well. With the 12/12 pitch and metal roof I went with, snow only builds up about 3" and slides off.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

WmFritz

Bigred, more details are needed on your building plan. I'm wondering about your foundation. Are you thinking about a crawlspace and using 2x8's for joists? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking you would need at least two beams to span 24'. are you setting your joists on posts like a deck?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

LaserZX

I like that truss design    Any chance to see a more up close pic  and or detail info  thanks

Quote from: beenthere on August 12, 2013, 10:24:34 AM
QuoteDid you use scissors trusses or are those 2x rafters?

2x12's on 24" centers

beenthere

LaserZX
Design in my house?

They are just 2x12 rafters that sit on the ridge beam and the walls, 7:12 pitch.
I can rustle up more detail if that is what you'd like. A plywood gusset on the rafters at the peak and birdsmouth on the wall plate. The ridge beam is 24" deep, of three 1 3/4" lam ply's.
south central Wisconsin

WmFritz

bt, is your ridge beam carrying the 30' length or is there post in the center?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

beenthere

The ridge is 24' length, the width of the room is 30', and no supports in the 24'.

The beams under the cedar paneling are false (boxed cedar around 2x4 flat).
south central Wisconsin

LaserZX

More details and pictures would be great if you have time.    I like the simple design and find it applicable and cost effective.

Quote from: beenthere on August 12, 2013, 08:05:28 PM
LaserZX
Design in my house?

They are just 2x12 rafters that sit on the ridge beam and the walls, 7:12 pitch.
I can rustle up more detail if that is what you'd like. A plywood gusset on the rafters at the peak and birdsmouth on the wall plate. The ridge beam is 24" deep, of three 1 3/4" lam ply's.

bigred1951

well it will be a crawl space and no cathedral ceiling just a plain old 8' or 9' ceiling

Thank You Sponsors!