iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why knot?

Started by Brian_Weekley, August 11, 2013, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

e aho laula

Brad_bb

Knots can actually be attractive features in woodworking.  I just learned how to use Epoxy to fill knots, which can be a cool effect.

In beams for Timber framing, of course we'd prefer less as they are usually a structural defect.  Knots do provide character though.  No knots would be boring.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Carpenter

I think you  five who eat knots for breakfast are mistaken.  Read the question more carefully, he did say knots not grits.   :D  You must be using power tools.  The three who deal with knots the best you can are obviously realists.  And the two of us who would like to see no knots on any tree are just being honest, and of course we're idealists. 

shinnlinger

When I teach my introductory class, I tell the students that clear pine is a premium product but that knots add a lot of character, and challenge them to "work with what the wood gives ya"  Most take it to heart and build with prominent knot placement.  I have some kids that cut plugs out of knots and put them over their screws.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dave Shepard

What if your timber is dry white oak? That is like having a timber that is made entirely of a pine knot. :D I'll have to get a shot of my pile of broken chisels, mallets, and handles.  :(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!