iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of wheels?

Started by etat, May 04, 2004, 11:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

I was just wondering what the first car or truck was that you actually owned.  My first was a 55 Chevy, four door,  but didn't have it long cause the front end fell out from under it, (broken A-Frame).  It was already  pretty  beat up and smelled like Coon Dogs, (Dad used it to hunt out of),. And then an old 61 Chevrolet truck, It was pretty rough too. My third and the one I kept for a long time  was a 66 Chevrolet Impala Two Door Hardtop.  I hated it too because it was, or so I thought too big and not sporty enough.  I bought it with my own money in 1973.  It was like brand new. Even though it was my money Dad said buy that car or else. I was 16 then. I kept it a couple of years.  Sure do wish I had it back now.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ianab

OK.. I bet I had one you have never heard of...
1970 Holden Torana GTR.
http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info/holden_torana_lc_gtr_xu1.htm

It was of course tuned up a little, could never get it to idle right, frightened cows from 200 yards, had the ride of a farm cart, but it could GO and was reliable and FUN to drive. Handling in gravel was of the James Bond style, steering mostly with the accelerator, but dont ask how I know that   ;) 8)
Loved that car, wish I still had it for the weekends  ::)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pasbuild

My first car was a VW bug payed $25 for it and put another $25 in used parts into it. The heater was so bad you had to stuff a rag in the passengers side vent to get enough heat out of it to clear a small spot on the drivers side wind shield.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Stan

35 Ford 3 window coupe. With a rolled over '48 Mercury for a parts car. I really wanted the motor, Dad insisted I take the brakes, too. Good for a regular 2nd place in J stock at the York US 30 drags. I skipped the week the winner's Studebaker was protested. When I showed up the next week they made me run Modified B, mostly Henry J's with Cadillac motors. The end of my racin' career, 'cept for one second place in a motorcycle short track race.  :) :) :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Frank_Pender

I began buying my first car when I was 12 years old.  I purchased 30 head of feeders at $42.50 each.  I was going to be a cowboy.  When I graduated in '62 I purchased my first car by selling some of the herd I had built up and bought a brand new '62 chev Impala for $2,300.  (The only Chev I ever owned, by the way)   It was a great car for a few years, 'till the '66 Mustang 2 + 2 hit the car magz.  I sold the Chev and ordered a 2 + 2 for $3,300 cash.  More of the herd was gone and was I moving faster, 'till a 42 year old bar maid decided to total me out by running a red light. :'(
Frank Pender

Norm

67 camaro with 3 on the floor and a flat six engine. Took the six out and dumped in a rebuilt 283 with dual tractor mufflers on it. Boy was it loud and unreliable but when it ran it would go.

Paul_H

My first truck was a 1948 GMC pickup that I bought for $50 when I was 14.A few freinds helped me push it down the road to our house.I had a lot of fun working on it and finally getting it to run.

After a year or so I bought a 1952 Chev pickup for $150,and the 48 became a parts truck.I used all the money I made at my after school and weekend job to fix up the body and put a metalic Blue paint job on it.It turned out pretty nice.

My second driver was a 1963 Chev shortbox with a broken sway bar and a loose front end.You really had to work hard to keep it between the ditches.(I paid ($300)

It was beat up and pug ugly but I loved that truck.My dad hated it with a passion and was glad when I got rid of it
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ga_Boy

A 1974 Chevrolet Cheyenne pick-up.  

Best truck I've ever had.  It never left me on the side of the road and went places 4X4's wouldn't go.
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Jason_WI

1972 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 400 turbo tranny and 400 CI big block. That thing could move :o :o

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Mark M

It was 65 Rambler I bought for $15. It didn't have a title so I had to make my own license tags out of reflective tape. It had a bad transmission leak so I used to fill it from the 5 gallon bucket of bar oil at the sawmill where I worked.

Stump Jumper

Stump Jumper's first car:
1970 Pontiac Bonneville 4 door white leather seats am/fm radio 455 ci engine with 370 hp stock and gobs of torque.  Only had front brakes for awhile so it would do excellent brake torques and spin the wheels near a 1/4 mile on pavement after warming the tires up.  Went through 5 used sets of back tires in one summer and if I was easy on it it would get 18 mpg.

They use to call the Pontiac the Tin Indian and there was an indian cheif head that was the bright light indicator anybody remember this?

Mizuz Stump Jumper
1957 step side chevy pick up with 350 ci engine 3 speed on the floor with the grandma gear.  Learned to drive this at age 14 in the corn field. Also learned on a 70's opal in the field.  After I got my license Dad let me upgrade to his Mid 80's chevy camaro and his 1984 Ford F150.  Then when I graduated I got a 1977 Pontiac Catalina 2-door auto with a v-8.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

ADfields

69 Dodge Charger with no motor or trans and I stuffed a 440 and a rock crusher 4 speed down in it.   Ran high 10's to low 11's at the track but I wrapped it around a tree about 6 months after I got it running. :-/   Young boys and fast fast cars with slicks in the rain DON'T mix very well! :o   Only Dodge I ever had or wanted but now I would like a Dodge with a Cummings ;)
Andy

Danny_S

1975 Ford Granada. Hen sh*t brown, all rusty and beat up... big honkin stereo in it...  a real chick magnet.  :o

Paid $250 for it in 1993.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Kevin_H.

My first car was a toyota, A carolla I think, It had four doors but only 3 windows, I cut a window for the drivers door out of plexiglass. It had 6 cylinders but only used 5 ;D

About once a week I had to put more pepper in the radiator to keep the little holes plugged.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

DanG

My first was a '54 Ford two door sedan. Looked like something your Grandma would drive. ::)  It came equipped with a 312 from a '57 T'bird, that was blueprinted by Crane Engineering, and put together by Bobby Isaacs!(if you have to ask, you wouldn't appreciate it.)  It had 3 deuces on a progressive linkage...the middle one was normal, but the other two were "dumps!"  If you got into all of them, you'd BETTER have it pointed in the right direction! :o :o :o :D :D

I still don't understand why I survived that beast. ::) ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Duane_Moore

# 1- 1937 Ford pu.  1954, 239 cu in. overhead, 39 top load tranny. 26 tooth Zepher gear, Yellow, 40 hyd brakes, gas heater, Big and littles, Raked, 3 star spinners Olds, and primer spots. #2, 1951 Ford Victoria, White,sunvisor, Chromed Reversed, baby moons, 239 AB Flathead, stromburg 97 carb. Fordmatic tranny, big and littles, Pumpkin Orange velour Interior, Brown trim and carpet, Just sets in the shop nowdays, haven't even lisenced it in 4 yrs,  Duh---Duane and the answer is YES
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

beenthere

These stories bring back lots of memories.
First was a
'49 Ford pu (flat head V-8 ), then
'51 rambler (inline flat 6 with overdrive;
'52 Ford mainliner (2dr, flat head V-8 );
'54 Mercury 4dr, V-8;
'57 Chev (4dr hardtop, blue with Robin's egg blue top, and wish I had it now).
Then got married and went through the station wagon routine for most of the following years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

iain

1st a jaguar   xj12l when i was 17 bought it as a write off for £300 and made just over £3200 on parts ;)

triumph 2000 mk1 with no break pads £70 new pads for £15.78 sold for £675 week later ;)

mini club man est    you had to keep your knee behind the gear stick to hold it in first gear  fuel tank was from an anglia and sant on the back seat and if you opened the drivers door it took two to line it up again :D

fiat 500   which was wrecked by my brother before i got home >:(

ford transit van  brown in colour

then an austin maxi with pudding bowl gear box :o

peugot 106 a present from in laws :)

then the beatiful saab 90 got hit up the rear by a sierra STOVED in the front of the sierra but only had to wipe off bits from his head lights from my bumper didnt even disturb the dirt :D

brown cavalier est  (nuff said)

red sierra est  split the body carrying wood ;D

blue carlton est  could take a made up single bed in the back :)

two passat ests   good cars

now on another transit and a corolla

old3dogg

1974 AMC Hornet wagon.
Bright yellow with the wood grain ::)
Paid $100 for it and had to put in a tranny.Tranny cost $25.
Never did a tranny before so I ended up with no park or no low 1.
Had a 307 so it did have some spunk.So I painted it rock moss green and put a set of mags on it.
Way cool car.I had the only car that the 8 track player didnt double track and chicks dug it for the drive in. ;D

Jeff

68 sports satalite refitted with Road runner trim and interior 440 mag out of a Harrison police cruiser, duel quad cross ram intake.  Got rid of it cause Tammy's mom refused to let Tammy in it after Tammys dad told her that he and I had it going 145 miles per hour down M-66.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rebocardo

1969 Olds with a 455 ci V-8 4 bbl. I really can not remember all my cars after that.

redpowerd

jeff, that ride was SWEET, i would have cried for days :'(
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dom

My first car was a 92 toyota corolla. I bought it to get me to University. I didn't acutally get rid of it, my father is now driving till he decides what car he wants to buy.  I bought his subaru impreza WRX back in March.  :)

redpowerd

jet black '90 mercury cougar xr-7
had a supercharged 3.8 with all the goodies.
head gasket jobs got too expensive

man that car would go, turn and stop FAST.

still have it, along with every other vehicle ive driven. must be like them five gallon buckets, plastic or metal :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Pete J

1977 Toyota Long Bed 2wd pickup. I drove it 330,000 miles in 10 years. I think I went through 6 sets of tires, two transmissions and one clutch. I sold it for $500 and it still didn't burn a drop of oil. The guy I sold it to hit a stump with it and ripped the whole front end off two weeks later. Not a noble death for such a fine first vehicle.
Pete

Thank You Sponsors!