iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First day cutting and a brand new Norwood HD36

Started by eamsberry, August 11, 2013, 02:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eamsberry

My brother and I went in on a new mill.  We did lot's of research and decided on a Norwood HD36 with the 23hp motor.  The assembly took us two days and we had to make some adjustments in a couple of areas, but all in all basic stuff.  I am really glad Norwood is shipped in lots of little pieces, because going through the assembly process does give a very good understanding of how the mill works and you make all the adjust.  Once we had it put together we put our first logs on it, all I can say is wow!  This mill is fantastic, I especially appreciate the throttle and water integrated on the operators handle.  In a few hours and 3 trees, we had a nice stack of boards.  I mainly cut 4/4 with a few 12/4 thrown in, just couldn't resist when you end up with a nice clear/straight 12/4 x 6" board.  I am going to make a very large workbench, and all I saw was some nice legs.  I do a lot of woodworking, and it is amazing to be cutting into a tree, and deciding what you want to do with the wood real time.  Some of the boards had so much character and color I would cut to maximize it.

My brother and I will both be building houses, so we will be making our own flooring, molding, doors and some custom furniture as well.  Who knows we may even sell some wood :laugh:

Here is a picture of my 12" jointer that I scored off Craigslist :)

Eric
Thanks,
Eric

Sixacresand

Glad you are having good first day.  Good looking mill and planer, too.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

hamish

Welcome the Forestry Forum and the Norwood family.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Planman1954

It looks so SHINY! Good for you two...it looks great. Now, it's time to build the solar dry kiln!  :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

eamsberry

Thanks.  We are going to put in a dehumidification kiln, but the shop addition is the next big adventure.

Eric
Thanks,
Eric

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

eamsbeery,welcome to the forum. You need a Logrite cantdog or peavey,sponsor on the left. How are you getting the logs out of the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eamsberry

I have a 45hp New Holland tractor with a grapple.  I pull logs out with it, and load it on the mill.  We will add hydraulics somewhere down the road.  We have a 30" peavey for logs on the mill, and then we have a big 5' for position logs in the woods.

Thanks for the welcomes.  I am sure I will be asking lots of questions as we get going.
Thanks,
Eric

samandothers

Welcome eamsberry!
Very nice looking mill and jointer.  Look forward to some of your projects and pictures.

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill and welcome to the Forestry Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill!  Hope you'll post to Norwood's forum as well.  They're great folks (both the company and Norwood owners).  Looks like you've already got a "log dog".  Don't know how I'd run a mill without one!  First project I'd recommend is a mill shed.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

grweldon

Congrats on the mill!

I seriously considered buying a Norwood mill.  Sometimes I think I should have.  That looks like a high-quality machine with excellent engineering.  I would have enjoyed assembling one.  Have a bunch of fun and be safe!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!