iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

smarty pants Brokaw I mean "The Brilliant Brokaw"

Started by Den Socling, August 10, 2013, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

OK Jeff. How did he pull this one off. We were at a party last weekend. The Amazing Jotto was there. He came over to a table I was sitting at with two cans of cola. One was a red can of Coke. One was a black can of Pepsie Free. Or so I think. I'm not a cola expert. He told me to shake the coke. I did. He said shake it harder and he did. He set the coke down next to the Pepsi and told me to open the Coke. Not me. I'm not going to have the sticky stuff spray on me. So he did. He snapped the top and it went pop. No excessive fizz. Then he popped the top on the Pepsi and it blew like a volcano. How did he pull that one off. No third hand here!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

He probably shook the Pepsi before he approached your table.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

That ain't even a trick. :D hitting the can is all that is needed to remove the fizz
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den Socling

I figured he shook the Pepsi before he came over. I didn't see him hit the Coke can. After he shook it again after me, he put it down next to the Pepsi, did the usual zabrafro with the hands then told me to open it.

Roxie

You are assuming the Coke can had fizz when he asked you to shake it.   :)
Say when

Jeff

You don't really hit it, you snap it sharply with your finger to release the co2 bubbles from the side of the can. What causes a can to fizz over is the bubbles being released from the can, rushing out and pushing the soda out with it. Snapping the can sharply makes the bubbles go to the top to be released with out pushing out the liquid.

Den Socling

I thought about that too. How could you make a can of cola flat before you opened it? In hindsight, I wish I had listened to the "pop" more closely. After you have had a chance to think about the possibilities, he rarely repeats a trick.

Jeff

The pop probably was the snapping of the can.

Den Socling

Jeff, I've tried that a hundred times with cans of beer. I never saw where snapping the top affected the fizz but you must be right. Still, SHAKING a can of Coke seems like a recipe for a mess.

Jeff

hitting the top does absolutely nothing. You must snap the side of the can.

SwampDonkey

I agree with Jeff, that's a real old trick.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Den Socling

I'm so dumb!  :D Tonight I will shake a beer then snap the side. You guys better be right!  :D

Gary_C

Just in case Den, you should use a cheap beer in case it doesn't work. Or just be ready to chug-a-lug the foam.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Den Socling on August 11, 2013, 11:43:01 AM
I'm so dumb!  :D Tonight I will shake a beer then snap the side. You guys better be right!  :D

Video it for You Tube.  :D

Roxie

Quote from: Den Socling on August 11, 2013, 11:11:03 AM
I thought about that too. How could you make a can of cola flat before you opened it? In hindsight, I wish I had listened to the "pop" more closely. After you have had a chance to think about the possibilities, he rarely repeats a trick.

Liquid absorbs the gas inside the can in repeated temperature variations.  Almost freezing the can and then letting it warm to room temperature, and repeating that process will cause soda, in a can, to lose carbonation. 
Say when

Jeff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Get cha some of that......Jack!  :D

I love it!  smiley_thumbsup

Delawhere Jack

An Irishman goes to the pub with his two Yooper buddies...... :o

The buddies each order Busch Light...... :(

The Irishman gives them with a quizzical look, then orders a cola.......

Now the Yoopers return the look........

The Irishman states, "Well, if you fellas aren't going to drink beer, then neither am I"....  :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

I saw how you did that , good one :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Left Coast Chris

I didn't even see the slightest hitch in that video. 
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on August 11, 2013, 08:05:24 PM
I didn't even see the slightest hitch in that video.

As long as Jeff can make beer.....what hitch?  smiley_beertoast

Chuck White

Hey Jeff; If I send you all of my empty Busch Light cans would you be so kind as to refill them if I include return postage?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

That was great, Jeff. How did you do that?  :D BTW I chickened out last night. I decided to wait until I was outside with a soda.

Den Socling

I've decided, Jeff, to change your title from smarty pants to "The Brilliant Brokaw". I really liked your trick. Jotto always has the advantage of a couple beers in me when he pulls the wool over my eyes.

Den Socling

I gave Joe a link to this thread and I heard from him last night. He says the following. I didn't test him but I don't think he would lie to me except he is a trickster who probably wants to see me with coke in my face for putting his trick here. Anyway, he says that after you shake a can of soda, the CO2 is released for only about 30 seconds before it's reabsorbed. All you have to do is distract 30 seconds after shaking then open quickly to release any residual gas. Now to the other can. To make it look shaken, squeeze the can while you open slowly. But he didn't offer any advice on recycling cans!

drobertson

I can only imagine what magic Jeff does with the butt roasts and bbq sauce,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Quote from: drobertson on August 13, 2013, 10:04:53 AMI can only imagine what magic Jeff does with the butt roasts and bbq sauce,
How about I took this picture of him giving the pig a Bluecreeper injection.   :o

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Now that's what I am talking about!   No wonder why so many folks make the trip,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!