iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vertical Log Posts on LM2000

Started by Keystone31, August 09, 2013, 10:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keystone31

Hey guys,

I just purchased a pair of these and am all set to get them on my bunks. My only hesitation is the better place to set them. Is it better to to use the lower bolts for more clearance when they're dropped? I only have 13" inches of clearance to the floor, so they're gonna stick up anyway. I figure I will just remove them when I don't need them, or cut them down to fit below the bunks. I just want to know if anyone has any knowledge on the stuff before I go drilling holes. You'd think the darn things would have some kind of instructions.

Also any idea what the tab looking thing with the hole is on the back?

Keeps saying my photo is too big. I re-sized it.  >:(
Kubota LM3800, '64 Workmaster 601, Norwood LM2000, Stihl MS270.

Keystone31

yet magically...  ::)

Note: stop is fully lowered in this photo.

thecfarm

Keystone31,welcome to the forum.

I don't really know what you mean,but hang tight others do. But sounds like I would cut them off to fit so I would not have to remove them when not in use.
Give them fine people a call and they will help ya. Have to wait until they are awake.  :D
How long have you owned your mill? Use it alot?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Keystone31

I'm getting it from my dad. Combined we have about 5500 hours 55 hours on the tach in I'd say four years. Since I've taken over, I've cut about a dozen poplar logs and about 2000 BF of hemlock. Still have another 2000 BF to go (Scribner scale, plus 10%)  ;D As well as a potential cabin job coming up, and lots of logs waiting to be cut for others!

Removing the posts isn't a big deal, I have shelving space nearby. But it's nice to have one (two) less things to have to keep track of. And to clarify, even when cut down, it'll still sit above the bunks. The lower bolt holes MIGHT allow for clearance when/if the stops are cut and lowered completely.

Keystone31

And I will be doing a "new to site" topic a little later!

hackberry jake

5500 hrs and the paint isn't even worn off the log bunks... must be some tough paint.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Keystone31

I think my dad liked to let the motor run a lot. The mill has always been out of the weather, too. That's all I can figure. I can't imagine the tach was used on anything before the mill.

hackberry jake

It probably has a tach that turns as long as the key is on. He mightve forgot and left the key on a couple times.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Mike@Norwood

Hello

You should have received instructions with your vertical log post kit. Thank you for pointing out that they were missing so we can check the rest of our stock. I see you get them installed but if you'd like, send me a PM and I'll get you a copy for your records.

"Also any idea what the tab looking thing with the hole is on the back?"
Quote from: Keystone31 on August 09, 2013, 10:25:37 PM

The tab acts as a standoff for knots and irregular shaped logs. If you'd like, click on the video for a brief explanation on the functionality of the log posts. (4 minutes and 15 seconds into the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a17WfOIYLY#at=264

Enjoy your day fellas

Mike at Norwood

Lazyguy

Hi Keystone.

I also have a Norwood.
Same issue.

I think Norwood's thinking is the mill will NOT, be used directly on a cement slab.
So you could dig a hole in the dirt for the supports.

In my thinking you have 2 options. Raise the mill (less stable) or have a welder make a 2nd pair of supports
that are shorter, just for the last few cuts. Pain I know but best option in my opinion.

Then just put an few U brackets on inside of mill rails to hold either set of supports. Then they are always with you.

Dave S...

Keystone31

Thanks guys.

I do have in mind raising the mill for easier cleaning. Once I get a squared cant, I just use the stop-nubs that are directly on the bunks, so I only needs the vertical stops for anything from 6-10".

losttheplot

Hi.
I have the vertical log stops on my LM 2000, They are different to yours.
There are four holes that line up with the bolts that mount the bunk, no drilling required.

They came with the long round posts, however they also came with two square posts that are around 12" long.
When fully extended they sick up 6 inches above the bunk. They drop down below the bunks when not in use.

You can use standard square tube to make your own. Measure the outside diameter of the round ones and get square stock the same O/D.

You only need the sloping top if your rolling cants against them. I use the standard stops for turning things and save the vertical ones for squaring and edging.

The tab on the round post will stop you from cutting them with your band.
There is a small piece of metal rod that sticks out and down from the front of the mill on the drive wheel side. It should stick straight down. it will run into the back stops before your band. Most of the time   ;)

The bunks on the Norwood are powder coated.

Hope this helps.
LTP
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Keystone31

Thanks! I do have that little metal "bumper" in proper positioning! I know I can cut to 11" with the standard stops, but if they're a little out of square, that little "bumper" hit first. I've saved a few bands by doing that!

The holes for the new posts are actually oval, basically the same diameter of the post, plus a half inch of wiggle room parallel to the bunk.

Thank You Sponsors!