ground hog recipe?

Started by Dan_Shade, August 08, 2013, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

anybody have a good groundhog recipe?

there's one living under my shed.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

giant splinter

GOOD ONE,
I can't help you with a recipe but I am sure it would taste about as good as eating a catchers mitt.

Caddy Shack It
roll with it

Dave Shepard

As long as "Order take out pizza" is part of the recipe, it should be fairly hard to screw up. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I ground grind my hog up, stuff it, and call it sausage.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom L

I've had it. skin, quarter. then boil for 20 minutes

after boil, marinade for a night then throw it on the grill like you are barbecuing chicken

actually tastes pretty good.

moosehunter

I have been told there are some glands, I think in the front shoulder?, that need to be removed pronto when the animal is dispatched.
I have had stew made with it more than once and it was good.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

drobertson

Dan, a lil greasy, par boil or slow cook on the grill, smoker, needs a drip pan, I would suggest salt and pepper seasoning with a dash of cavenders greek seasoning. then go from there,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Hmmm, have to say I'm with Dave on this one.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

js2743

A young one when they are still with momma you can just roll it in flour with some seasoning and fry it.  A older one thats fat, cook it with a good size onion with black pepper until falling off the bone tender "I use a pressure cooker" then place in a baking dish.    Sprinkle with black pepper and use BBQ sauce or ketchup over it and bake on 375 for about a 30 to 45 minutes. 

Weekend_Sawyer

What wine would you suggest with your basic Whistle Pig?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WH_Conley

Anything less than $3.00 per bottle. :D
Bill

Al_Smith

Speaking of which,whistle pig.I have one living under one of my wood piles .Now I don't mind that .What I do mind is the rascal ate all the leaves off my cucumbers . >:(

He hops up on the back steps ,raises up on his hind legs and eyeballs my wife .Okay I'll go along with that .What I won't go along with is now the pot licker is trying to tunnel under my house foundation .Little does he know it's 4 feet deep with 18" wide 12" thick footers . :D

I have the cage trap set but he's avoiding it .I may have to get out the old Marlin 12 gauge goose gun before it's over .

martyinmi

Geez Al, a 12 gauge for that furry little rodent?
Why don't you just pm me his coordinates and I'll hit him from Michigan for you with my 22/250!
It would save a bunch of meat. ;) :D ;D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

SPIKER

Heck I fed mine to the Buzzards Saturday and they didnt seem to mind them NOT having pepper or seasoning :D   I'm glad that I FINALLY got this one, he had been digging under the back barn.   2 weeks back I popped off 3 rounds at him from maybe 50 yards he jumped twisted and ran under the back car and into the barn...   Well Saturday when I put one dead center into back of his head I took a closer look at him and he had 2 extra holes all healed up from 2 weeks back!   They are pretty tough critters for sure.   I've had them Smoked and Fried as someone mentioned they are kind of greasy but not unpleasant eating.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Al_Smith

I'd be a little worried taking a shot at the little rascal with a rifle .Although I'm in a rural area somewhat it's populated .With that old Marlin and a load of super x magnum #2 goose load anything within about 250 feet I got him .

Besides that I think this one is somewhat retarded .Just the other day he was dining on some grass half way down my 500 plus foot drive way .I stopped my truck and winged a rock at him and lucky shot or not  hit him right on the noggin .Just just reared up and looked at me and continued munching .I've seen a lot of ground hogs but never one that dumb .

luvmexfood

Never had it but people swear it is good. Back when I was in high school and they actually had a shop class the guys challenged the girls in home ec. Cooking class.

They brought in all types of game and the girls had to cook it. Someone brought in muskrat ( which really isn't a rat) and they fried. Have to admit it was pretty good.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Jeff

I'm pretty sure it is interchangeable with any possum recipe.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Aw man that recipe is possum, grits and hog jaws .Now maybe if you could substitute fried taters for grits  it might not be so bad  ;D

Southside

We used to put them in a stew pot with potatoes, onions, garlic, salt, and a chunk of soap stone, boil the whole thing for 4 hours.  When done throw out the ground hog and eat the soapstone. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

This is my recipe. Been using it for about 5 years.Get one good dog to find them,tear apart stone wall so the dog that found it can kill it,let the finder play with it for a while. Just make sure you keep an on The Finder,they like to bury the woodchuck on ya. Pick woodchuck up to bleed out. The dog really likes that part. Carry dog back to house,his Mama is not happy that he has blood all over his face. Open up OWB door,insert woodchuck into furnace for about 1-2 hours. Open door up in 1-2 hours,meat should slide off the bone real easy. Close door,it's done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

There's only one way I have ever prepared ground hog.  Some compare the meat to hamburger (ground chuck! ;)).Wait until he's feeding on the back lawn.  Quietly open kitchen window.  Shoot in head, so not to spoil the meat.  Leave Labrador inside when you fetch your game.  Assess accuracy of your shot.  Grasp by tail and walk to the back of the property where you dump/throw all biodegradable refuse like brush, walnuts, etc.  Fling ground hog down hill into underbrush.  Fox and coyote love 'em prepared that way.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

Ground chuck. Now that was poetic. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

Quote from: Tom L on August 08, 2013, 02:38:28 PM
I've had it. skin, quarter. then boil for 20 minutes

after boil, marinade for a night then throw it on the grill like you are barbecuing chicken

actually tastes pretty good.
Then give it to the dogs. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I like the ground chuck remark too.

Thank You Sponsors!