iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln needed?

Started by Rod Yowell, August 07, 2013, 02:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Yowell

Hello fellows. I was wondering how long can logs be stored without being in a kiln or need to be sawed into lumber? is there an easy and economical way to build a kiln for personal use?
If your word and handshake isn't any good, we have nothing else to talk about.

Have a Woodland Mill 126, 1954 Allis Chalmers WD45 tractor for log moving.

beenthere

Logs cannot go in a kiln. They can be elevated off the ground and kept wet for long term storage in log form, but not easily or cheap.

The lumber from logs can be stickered in piles and kept covered for long term air drying, or the lumber could be kiln dried and then stored solid piled in a building for long term storage.

Hope that helps. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

york

Logs need to be kept wet-drive by any BIG mill operation and you see them keeping there logs,wet.....
Albert

Rod Yowell

how long can logs be left on bare ground without stacking or wetting down after they are cut down?

Magicman

They store better in the Winter, but even then it depends upon how much loss you are willing to accept and the species.  After a couple of months sawyer worms start munching and boring pencil size holes into the Pine logs.  Hardwood logs begin checking and the sapwood begins deteriorating.  I have sawn Oak that was a couple of years old and the heartwood was still solid.  Just whack a foot off of each end.  I always like to see logs staged on timbers, etc. to get them off of the ground.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quoteis there an easy and economical way to build a kiln for personal use?

http://sbio.vt.edu/about/extension/vtsolar_kiln/

A solar kiln is about the cheapest "real" kiln you can build.

As the guys say, you can store logs for a varying period of time, depending on your climate and the species. But really you are best to get the logs sawn and start them drying for long term storage.  Air drying works fine with a lot of species, even if you finish the process later with a few days in the kiln.

Once dry wood can be stored pretty much indefinitely, as log as you keep it dry and bug free.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rod Yowell

Thanks for all the info guys. Ian thanks for the link to the solar kiln. it gave me just the info I was looking for.

WDH

I second getting the logs off the ground.  They will last longer if they are not in ground contact.  You could use some of the low grade logs as a base to stack up the better logs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!