iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice Piece of Walnut

Started by WDH, August 07, 2013, 07:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I am working on a nice piece of walnut for a bench top.  In the rough it was 17 3/4" wide x 2 1/4" thick x 10' long, so I cut a 5' section for the bench top.  I wanted the top to be one piece, but it would not fit into my 15" planer and I did not want to cut it down.  So, I ripped it into two pieces, face jointed them to get them dead flat, planed them, then glued them back together with biscuits.  You cannot tell that it was ripped into two pieces and put back together unless you look very very closely.

The log had a bad split in it.  Jake sawed it for me on his LT70.  Even with the split, we got 5 very nice wide and thick slabs. 

It is nice to be able to take a tree, saw the lumber, dry it, then make something from it.  Not everybody can do that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Nice.  That looks like a "very valuable" bench top.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When you slabbed the old dry tree into slabs, did you dry the slabs even more? If so, how long did you dry the slabs before working with them?

I have to give that work bench slab a 10. That thang is purdy.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

Danny's the MAN! Jake's OK too :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thecfarm

Another very fine looking job. As I say my wood working skills stop when the tree hits the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tim Lea

mesquite buckeye

That's going to be super nice. ;D  It would be nice to see it with a finish on it. Please keep us posted as it progresses. 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAmillworker

Danny great work looks awesome.  If you get a chance to come visit you should bring some of your slabs.  I have a planer with 30" wide by 14" thick capacity and my wide belt sander I some times use 36 grit to flatten my table tops or slabs 52" width capacity on it.
Thank the Lord for second chances

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: GAmillworker on August 07, 2013, 07:46:11 PM
Danny great work looks awesome.  If you get a chance to come visit you should bring some of your slabs.  I have a planer with 30" wide by 14" thick capacity and my wide belt sander I some times use 36 grit to flatten my table tops or slabs 52" width capacity on it.

How far away are you from WDH?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Poor Jake.....he's been picking up BIG logs so long his arms have grown outward.  :D :D :D

GAmillworker

How far away are you from WDH?
[/quote]

I think about 1-1/2 to 2 hours
Thank the Lord for second chances

WDH

Dan,

That is a deal that I definitely cannot refuse.  It sure is right to have the right equipment.  Thank you very much, Sir. 

David,

The slab air dried a little over 2 years.  I finished finishing it today.  I am taking it tomorrow to meet the base.  The base will be black wrought iron that will be hand (welded) made as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

hackberry jake

Some people just have all the good wood. Is this for yourself or someone else?  Also, what is the exact address of where it is stored?  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

My wrought iron guy that is building the base says that it is too "refined", not rustic enough.  Rustic is just sawing a live edge slab, let the chips and sawdust fall, and put it on the base.  I will have to change my frame of reference  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 08, 2013, 08:35:05 PM
My wrought iron guy that is building the base says that it is too "refined", not rustic enough.  Rustic is just sawing a live edge slab, let the chips and sawdust fall, and put it on the base.  I will have to change my frame of reference  :).

I agree with "Iron Man".  :)

WDH

It is hard being a "refined" man among so many rustic. 

Magicman

I think that you rusted this past weekend.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2013, 09:14:05 PM
I think that you rusted this past weekend.   ;D

That was Mold.

Delawhere Jack

My pop would always say that if you put enough cheese on anything it'll taste good....

I'd say the same thing about walnut.  :) Go with your gut Danny, a nice slab of walnut like that would look good on milk crates.

Larry

Quote from: WDH on August 07, 2013, 07:50:29 AM
So, I ripped it into two pieces, face jointed them to get them dead flat, planed them, then glued them back together with biscuits.  You cannot tell that it was ripped into two pieces and put back together unless you look very very closely.

That might be a good way to do natural edged slabs.  I've surfaced wide ones with a router sled but it might be easier to rip them in half on the mill and glue back together after surfacing.  I need to try on the next one.

Can't wait to see this one with legs.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DR_Buck

Quote from: WDH on August 08, 2013, 08:35:05 PM

If it's too refined, then instead of calling it a bench just call it a furniture grade sitting place.  ;D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Warbird

Thank You Sponsors!