iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bent blade

Started by NCDiesel, August 06, 2013, 12:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDiesel

I have a newbie question:

Can a bent blade be saved?  While sawing the pecan this past weekend a log moved and popped the blade off the wheels and left a bend in the blade.  About 30 degrees, give or take.  I took it off and put on a new one but I was wondering - can a good sharpener save a blade like this?  Or should it go into the metal recycling pile?

Thanks in advance!
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would talk to your person that sharpens you blades.
I send my blades to Woodmizer and they make the decision.

But just guessing, I would scrape it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Give it a try and hope for the best.  I have had some that could be salvaged and some that could not.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I have bent them straighish by hand and put them back on and they usually work. You probably have some teeth bent though if it hit anything when it came off the wheels.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ely

lay it across a cant and give it heck with a hammer, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain... it already will not work for you. ;)

DeepWoods

I would make it as straight as I could and save it for a log that might have iron in it.  Then if I made junk out of it I wouldn't feel as bad losing a blade.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Peter Drouin

You might be able to use it but It will never be right. If it was mine I would junk it
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I agree with Ely, lay it on a flat surface and give it a few whacks with a hammer and when it looks right, set it, sharpen it and use it!

You have nothing to lose except maybe a little time!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

I've bent a couple when I didn't clamp a log tight enough and it rolled. I bent them back into shape (more or less) by hand -- no hammering required. Then I ran them with the blade tension about 500 PSI higher than normal.

Both of them continued to cut well. However, one of them tried to stay coiled so it was always a challenge getting it uncoiled and onto the mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dboyt

I've bent several, and always straightened by hand, then save for the trash logs.  You can eyeball it pretty close.  It can trash a blade if you have a metal shield, though.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

barbender

I've bent many blades, I am a pro at finding ways to pop them off the band wheels ::) The teeth around the bend will cut like an over set tooth, leaving a pattern in the sawn surface. I think I've read of guys bending a tooth out on purpose to make that pattern. You could probably bend the set out of those teeth around the bent part, and I bet they'd cut fine.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

I've had bent blades last for lots of sharpening's and some that break right away..  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

Some work some don't.
I always try to salvage a bent one.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

NCDiesel

Thanks - I'll carefully straighten, and then mark the spot for the sharpener so they can make sure the set is right.

Thanks a bunch for all the advice!
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Thank You Sponsors!