iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sharpener and Setter

Started by highleadtimber16, August 05, 2013, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highleadtimber16

Well I found a used WoodMizer sharpener and setter on craigslist and made the decision to finally buy one. I payed $1400 for the CBN sharpener and single tooth setter. I think that's a pretty good deal? Now I gotta make some room in my shop and figure out how this thing works. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions in the next little while, as I've never done this before. It should be good for the up coming short rainy days!  :)

2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

sawmillhand

Wow   :o Looks like you got a pretty good deal
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Peter Drouin

Good job you did  8)
Now look at the way Bibbyman set up the sharpener to get the filings out of the oil with magnets. I did the same thing.He has a whole thing on the cbn

The magnets are hot glued to the bottom [ out side] of the 1# plastic dish

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

slider

al glenn

woodyone.john

Also check out Pineywoods dual tooth setter. Its the only way to go.cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

highleadtimber16

After playing around with one blade this evening I was surprised at how much filings come off the blade. I will defiantly be making some Bibby changes down the road. Does anyone know if it matters what kind of oil I use? I'm using 5-20w motomaster oil right now. But any oil should work eh? Hyd oil, atf, canola oil?

Thanks
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

customsawyer

I think it is actually cutting oil. Don't know for sure that is why I get my oil for WM.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodyone.john

I too bought my sharpener 2nd hand.The previous owner had used cooking or edible oil.It had severely gummed up every part.I personally wouldn't use it.I do use a white 'pharma' oil food and cosmetic grade and it works very well.
this is the link to the dual tooth setter   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,46818.msg673392.html#msg673392
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Peter Drouin

Get the wood Mizer oil. It keeps the cbn wheel cleen
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bibbyman

I think you made a great buy.

Check the angle of the grinding wheel to see that it is set correctly and the bolt is tight.   Then check the angle ever so often to see if it has slipped. That's the only problem that I've had with our grinder and I think others have had that problem too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

highleadtimber16

The parts that come with the grinder, such as angle gauge and so on were missing so I ordered them today. Along with some WoodMizer oil. I do believe the head is slightly off and will check that right away. Thanks for the advice!  :)
EG 200 Wood-Mizer

Thank You Sponsors!