iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Take it...to the limit, one more time.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 05, 2013, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A customers came and picked up Pine boards this evening. He called me at lunch and wanted to know if I had an Oak slab for a counter top. He is building a bar in his barn for dances and get togethers for watching football games....and yes, in the barn.
The bar will be 2 levels. Oak?...Red or White, he did not care.

I found a 10 foot log I had......off the ground, I have been storing for 2 1/2 years.

The width of the butt was 26 9/16" at the widest part. The other end was 25 1/4" wide.
I opened the blade guide as far as it would go and while sawing, I literally had to push the head/blade the first 28-30 inches. This was my mills limit on width but she she sawed a smooth face.
I don't mind telling....I sold 2 Red Oak Slabs for $600.00. Both slabs were 2 1/2" thick and took both of us to load them. The pictures don't show the full beauty but these were some very nice grained bar top slabs.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SAWMILL BUDDY

loggah

Nice !!! ;D but it looks like there might be a little metal in that lower side of the log ! :o Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: loggah on August 05, 2013, 08:21:53 PM
Nice !!! ;D but it looks like there might be a little metal in that lower side of the log ! :o Don

You better watch yo mouff Don.  :D :D :D

loggah

When ever i see a bit of blue stain i get nervous !!! :-[ Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: loggah on August 05, 2013, 08:39:41 PM

Makes the hair stand up on my neck!  smiley_sweat_drop
I see the stain, about 4 inches East of the pith.

WDH

2 slabs for $600  ???.  I need to talk to your marketing agent. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sawmillhand

Very nice. I had some old hard wood logs on my place nice ones that was left on a thinning but mine had what i call the sponge effect. The inside core was solid but the outside was rotten.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sawmillhand on August 05, 2013, 08:47:27 PM
Very nice. I had some old hard wood logs on my place nice ones that was left on a thinning but mine had what i call the sponge effect. The inside core was solid but the outside was rotten.

Please believe me, the spalted sap wood on each side of the heart wood was as solid as a rock. This guy went over these with a fine tooth comb. These were 2 slabs with some very nice character.
But I do know what your are saying Sawmillhand. I have seen plenty of the spongy sap wood.

loggah

Yup,  i know sometimes when i was dragging oak out behind my skidder the whole butt was blue from pounding against the fenders ,dont take much to make stain. hopefully theres nothing in there!! Don

Peter Drouin

600.00 for two slabs. Good for you , there's one born every day  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

I have a couple of slabs I will sell you for $400.00 and you can have what is left over. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Hey, I will sell some to you for just $300 and you can double your money.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

I was going to sell him yours and we could have split the extra. Now you come in and under cut US. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow....under cutting your neighbor  :o, selling something that's not yours  ::), trying to squeeze in on my racket....... >:(
what kind of crooks are ya'll?
Sounds like I'm gonna fit right in at the Sycamore Project.  :D :D :D

red

I think its great you still print CSA paper money
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ga Mtn Man

Way to make it happen David!  I've always admired the way you make do with the tools you have. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

scully

Love it ! I knew I was cheap on my walnut slabs ! More proof that grade aint always king !
I bleed orange  .

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 05, 2013, 08:41:11 PM
Quote from: loggah on August 05, 2013, 08:39:41 PM

Makes the hair stand up on my neck!  smiley_sweat_drop
I see the stain, about 4 inches East of the pith.

David, don't take anymore chances on the rest of that tramp-metal filled log. Just to help you out , I will take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. No thanks needed.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

Very nice looking slabs you milled there, David. :)
Tell your customer I have some that are 56"-51" wide X 138" length X 3" thickness. I'd let them go for a small fortune if he's interested.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on August 05, 2013, 09:56:55 PM

David, don't take anymore chances on the rest of that tramp-metal filled log. Just to help you out , I will take it off your hands and dispose of it properly. No thanks needed.  ;D

I know....you're doing this because you like me.  ;D I'll be playing golf tomorrow and the rest of the log is on the mill. Just don't make a mess.  :D :D :D

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

schakey

Well this proves it,he really is the most interesting man(sawyer) in the world smiley_sun
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Seaman

David, that is a fair price for the slabs, at least in the WNC market. These goons are just jealous of big wood. ::) Wait, that didn't sound right....you know what I mean. Good job on the sale.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jemclimber

I've got a bunch (maybe that's an understatement) of slabs and even the wood hoarder I am I think I'd be willing to sell every one of them at a price like that.   :D
Well, maybe.... I sure do like collecting boards.
lt15

woodweasel

Shucks I thought mine was big :D :D My cedar that is ;D

WDH

red oaks lumber

it seems like more pictures get taken than work getting done :D

goonies x 12
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

bugdust

Quote from: WDH on August 05, 2013, 08:44:51 PM
2 slabs for $600  ???.  I need to talk to your marketing agent.

And to think I was satisified making $650 for 500bdft of quarter/rift red oak. Wonder if the guy will give me a do-over?
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

drobertson

Almost seems like this post should read "stick it to the limit, one more time"  some folks have more money than good sense, at least you were on the big side of the wish bone,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never stretched the truth unless I can get a laugh.  :D But my top grade slabs are high! And I get it.

But where I live, I am close to Charlotte, N.C. There is money in Charlotte. People will spend it and are looking to spend it.
A lot of times a customer will call me and tell me what he will pay for something and then ask me if I have it.
A pick up load of Oak firewood sells for $150.00 in Charlotte. I think that is high.
I had a builder pick up a Cedar Mantle this morning 5 inches thick x 8 inches wide x 6 foot long.
I sold it for $300.00.
There are so many band mills around me that are just sitting. And the ones that saw don't understand why they don't get customers. THEY DON'T WORK THE MARKET!
My secret.....I am prompt. If I can make a fast dollar doing a good job, I will move logs out of the way just to saw 1 slab for a man who needs it tomorrow.
There are sawyers down here that will tell customers they will have something ready by a certain day but will not come through.
Keep your word, saw a smooth board, shake a hand and take interest in what a customer is saying,(even if you hate to hear about his grand kids singing in a play) and the money will come. Trust me!
Sawmills will make you money.......customer service will make you rich!

Peter Drouin

You are 100% right on that take care of the customer. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Brucer

Quote from: drobertson on August 06, 2013, 10:07:27 PM
... some folks have more money than good sense ...

Never forget, the value of a product is determined by the customer.

If your asking price is higher than the value the customer places on your product, you won't sell any -- to that customer. This is the key to marketing. A different customer might gladly pay your asking price and think he or she got a tremendous deal.

The value that a customer places on your product is partly a result of how you present the product. A "mantle" is worth a lot more to some folks than a "slab of wood". Air-dried "brace stock" is worth more to some timber framers than just a "timber".

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Seaman

Gentlemen,,,,
I meant "goons' in the most affectionate and friendly way possible!!
Humor is difficult when typing, I certainly did not mean to rise a hackle.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

WDH

Raider Bill

I can't believe he called you guys Gentlemen :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Stephen1

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 06, 2013, 10:37:00 PM
I've never stretched the truth unless I can get a laugh.  :D But my top grade slabs are high! And I get it.

But where I live, I am close to Charlotte, N.C. There is money in Charlotte. People will spend it and are looking to spend it.
A lot of times a customer will call me and tell me what he will pay for something and then ask me if I have it.
A pick up load of Oak firewood sells for $150.00 in Charlotte. I think that is high.
I had a builder pick up a Cedar Mantle this morning 5 inches thick x 8 inches wide x 6 foot long.
I sold it for $300.00.
There are so many band mills around me that are just sitting. And the ones that saw don't understand why they don't get customers. THEY DON'T WORK THE MARKET!
My secret.....I am prompt. If I can make a fast dollar doing a good job, I will move logs out of the way just to saw 1 slab for a man who needs it tomorrow.
There are sawyers down here that will tell customers they will have something ready by a certain day but will not come through.
Keep your word, saw a smooth board, shake a hand and take interest in what a customer is saying,(even if you hate to hear about his grand kids singing in a play) and the money will come. Trust me!
Sawmills will make you money.......customer service will make you rich!
I agree do what you say when you say,, the word will spread.
Where and how are you advertising?
Being close to a big city also helps, they do not have acces to a big supply of products from a mill. Where else would u buy 2 matching slabs? Not home doppy.
Great work 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 07, 2013, 09:05:51 AM
I can't believe he called you guys Gentlemen :D :D

:o :o :o Do you know something we don't know?  :o :o :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don may be right. I DO thing this logs has a little metal in it. If it does, I got lucky. I sawed all these slabs at 2 1/2"s thick. I must have went over the top and under the metal.  smiley_sweat_drop Close call!

Peter Drouin

WE are ALL gentlemen here on the FF. :D :D ;D

:o and ladies  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

David, I've done it once, (premium pricing) but it was from a tip, a large one, if you can get it, mize well, be as stupid not to as it is to pay that much ;D  Happy for you man, no doubt there have been bumps that did not pay this much,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 07, 2013, 12:17:04 PM
I must have went over the top and under the metal.  smiley_sweat_drop Close call!

Hopefully your customer won't hit it with his planer  :).

barbender

I'd be nervous around Poston, I think he could talk me into paying him $500 for a pickup load of sawdust. I don't know if he's just that slick or folks feel sorry for him with that homely mug of his ;D "He had a face only a mother could love, and she didn't even like it that much." -Patrick Mcmanus :D  Seriously, good for you for making a few bucks, those folks all made it from someone else. I have to push myself to charge enough, I seem to like to work for free ::)
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

I am learning.  A man needs to keep learning. 

Magicman

Nothing wrong with learning, it's just who you are learning from.   :P   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!