iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making long beams

Started by REGULAR GUY, August 02, 2013, 04:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULAR GUY

I am needing a couple of long beams to support a carport roof.  I am also tryin to save money and make them myself.  I am looking at two (2) lengths of 6x12x26. I have SYP or Sycamore available. I am thinkin of 2 or 3 thicknesses bolted together, (maybe along with 1 or 2 pieces of 1/2 OSB ) and of course staggering the lengths. Should I also use glue and if so what type?  OR should I do it completely different? Thanks for any help on this from ya'll that know.     Regular Guy

beenthere

I'd say 3 ply wood with either plywood or OSB sandwiched between the wood plies. And yes, I'd glue and use a resorcinol glue.
And you may find 26' a bit of a stretch for the 11 1/2" beam depth. Myself, I would go with 18" depth and laminate in 2x6 's (three on the top and three on the bottom) along with 1/2" plywood sandwiched. Glue and screw it together. Some criss-cross blocking between the two plywood panels would add stiffness to it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

REGULAR GUY

Thanks kindly for the information.  I'll talk to the draft guy on the depth of the beam, but I agree with you.   Is there any particular pattern on bolts or screws?  What size bolts or what type and size screws?  By the way , what is best; bolts or screws?  Thanks again alot for your help.    Regular Guy

REGULAR GUY

P.S.   Sorry, what do you mean by criss-cross blocking between the plywood? Thanks again Reg Guy

beenthere

I was thinking of something like this crude drawing.... with the angled lines being 2 x 4 flat between two of the plywood webs (showing the plywood webs in the lower drawing between three 2 x 6 's that are not drawn the same size )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

REGULAR GUY

Thanks fellas, I'm gettin there.  Diameter size of bolts (or screws), and pattern?  Also, what is a good sealant to bring out the grain in SYP?   Thanks again, Regular Guy

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: REGULAR GUY on August 06, 2013, 03:26:51 PM
Thanks fellas, I'm gettin there.  Diameter size of bolts (or screws), and pattern?  Also, what is a good sealant to bring out the grain in SYP?   Thanks again, Regular Guy

RG: There is no way that any of us can give you an answer to your question.
You need to figure out the load being placed on these "beams" and then they can be sized correctly.
You haven't stated your location in your profile/signature so we don't know where you are.
We don't know if there is any "snow load" for your area. Or if down south, and "high wind load" that has be be taken into consideration.

Putting bolts in and through beams can weaken them if not done correctly. Spacing, pattern locations, sizing and all that has to be done correctly or you're asking for trouble.

Spending some money with an engineer will be well worth it when it's all said and done.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

REGULAR GUY

Jim,  Thanks a bunch. A friend drew the plans up.... I will start with him and the lumber yard that took the truss order. An obvious  point that I missed.  Regular Guy

REGULAR GUY

Thanks again for the imput....I decided to go with a steel beam. Regular Guy

Thank You Sponsors!