iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from North Carolina

Started by MRowsh, August 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRowsh

I am a retired US Army Soldier who is going to get into saw mill works very soon.  The story is, we have done a lot of research with respect to all the crap (pesticide, and herbicides) that is getting added into our produce we buy, we decided to build a nice big green house for an Aquaponics system. 
Anyway, I need to clear a piece of land in order to not only build the Green House, but also allow enough sun to come through for proper growth.  Asked few who clear land for estimate. When I saw the figures, I almost soiled myself!!  Between $350 to 450 to get them down and taken away. There are some real big pine trees, and about 30 hard wood (white oak, and red oak). Some real big, I estimate about 110 feet tall for many oaks and taller than them are about 20 pines.
Then I checked all the prices of lumber at Lowes and other places. Good God, All Mighty. The price of lumber has gone up so much, another OH CRAP MOMENT!!
I thought of taking my time and doing it the old fashioned way. So I started researching about saw mills about 4 weeks ago. Have spent a lot of time corresponding to many manufacturers, except Cook's, they never responded to my request. Oh well, it was not meant to be!
So, I have finalized my decision, and by next Monday will place my order for one fine saw mill.
So, I have to learn how to use them first.
After reading so much about cutting into different objects inside the logs, I think I need to purchase a metal detector.

So, please let me know which model and brand name has worked the best.  I do appreciate any help. As you know, it can not get more Green Horn than me at this moment.
God bless all responsible citizens!
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Texas Ranger

Welcome, pull up a stump and join the conversation.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum, MRowsh!  You will find all the help you need right here on THE Forestry Forum.  So, you might as well go ahead and tell us what mill you chose...we won't stop stopping asking til you do. :)

Thank you for your service to our country! smiley_clapping
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Finn1903

Welcome to the site
Sounds like you have a nice project lined up.
Not sure where you are at in NC, but you are welcome to stop by and talk saw milling and land clearing.  I am near Durham.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

thecfarm

MRowsh,welcome to the forum. Most metal come from yard trees,not trees in the woods.I have no idea about your building codes either. Some places the lumber has to be inspected. Sheds,barns and garages are fine for us sawyers. Check that out too. Don't want to buy a mill,then find out you it's too much of a bother to get the lumber checked out. A member might be close to you. And even if you have to go a few hours,it would be worth it to ya to learn a few things. You will need a tractor,4 wheeler,truck,something to move the logs to the mill. A cant dog,peavey,to get the logs just right,Logrite,sponsor on the left,is the way to go. There's more too.  ;D  Good luck. Have you ever cut down trees ?Than there is also the best way to get the best logs from a tree too.,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I am just north of you in the Appalachians.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Seaman

Welcome! What part of NC? We are near Asheville. Would be happy to demo the Swing Mill for you.
I use an inexpensive Bounty Hunter from Amizon, $120 I think it was. Works GREAT. No need to spend a lot of money, do not get a wand type, no penetration. I have found nails 6 inches deep with the BH.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Nomad

Welcome.  Best metal detector?  My best ones are WoodMizers, 158" long. :D  And the newer it is, the better it works!
     In all seriousness, metal detectors can come in handy.  But the effectiveness is limited by the size of the log, the size of the metal, etc.  They don't detect all foreign objects, only the metal ones.  And are about useless once the log is placed on the mill.  I wouldn't lose any sleep about getting one.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MRowsh.

This is the "great learning place".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MRowsh

Thanks everyone.

I am near Smithfield NC.

I have dropped total of 92 trees so far in my life. During 1999 hurricane, I had to drop all the trees that were lynning on other ones, and I end up dropping so many others to get the job done. Some were real tough to do. I heard later on that those are called widowmaker!

How about this metal detector?
http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter-Sharpshooter-Metal-Detector/dp/B00005A3L3/ref=sr_1_13?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1375454141&sr=1-13&keywords=metal+detector
Retired US Army.

Planman1954

Nomad: Very funny!
MRowsh: I don't have a metal detector. I think I've hit metal maybe twice in the few years I've been sawing. It would be too much trouble and time for me to check every log. I would actually rather lose a blade every year or so and not hassle with a detector. But that's just me.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

dboyt

MRowsh, welcome to the forum.  I go along with Planman.  Over the years, I'd estimate that the time spent running a metal detector (assuming 5 min per log) verses the money lost in dulled or destroyed blades is close to $1.20 per hour-- and I do cut a fair number of urban trees.  That said, I use a hand-held Log Wizard (Harbor Freight, I think) when I see a suspicious blue stain in a log or cant.  By the way metal detectors won't keep the blade out of clamps and log stops!

Thank you for your service, and best of luck with the mill.  Which one did you decide on?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

steamsawyer

Hey MRowsh,

Welcome aboard. It sounds like you have quite a plan, it sounds like fun too.

Here is what I use...

It works ok but I rarely find hardware anyway. It has saved me a few times though.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, MRowsh. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

NCDiesel

Quote from: MRowsh on August 02, 2013, 10:12:50 AM
...snip...
So I started researching about saw mills about 4 weeks ago. Have spent a lot of time corresponding to many manufacturers, except Cook's, they never responded to my request. Oh well, it was not meant to be!
So, I have finalized my decision, and by next Monday will place my order for one fine saw mill.
...snip...

Welcome!

I am really shocked Cooks did not respond.   One of the reasons I bought from them was because they were so much more responsive and friendly than the other companies.    The other companies just gave me sales calls - Cooks called to talk about sawmills.   Seems like a minor difference but it isn't.  My site visit was especially friendly and they gave really nice thank-you gifts to the forum members who helped me in my shopping.  At any rate, good luck with whoever you choose!

As for detectors...

I only have one anecdotal story that may or may not even be relevant for searching for metal in wood.   We were locating sensors in soil buried 6-8" down.   These were small and we had trouble with one brand of detectors locating "off-target" (sensor for example might really be 1' away from point of strongest signal) and it missed sensors.  Garrett detectors never gave us any such problems.  It got to the point crew members were hiding the Garrett detectors so they would not have to use the other brand.  I finally told the boss to quite buying whatever was cheaper that week and stick with Garrett.  I don't remember the other brand now., but they were red and I think Bounty Hunter used to be red.    I must have wanted to forget that company's name  :D.

I have not used the "Ace" model line of Garrett as mine is much older (I had purchased it from that company when I left).   It still works great.  In the way of relevant anecdotes:  It is a 1996 model and as recently as a few years ago it found barbed wire in a log I was about to send to a sawmill .   The wire was ~5" below the bark at one end and ~8" below at the other. 

Hope that helps!

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your adventure.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

samandothers

Welcome!
Originally from Va. hope to get back after retirement.

MRowsh

Placed my order, and put the deposit down.
ML2 is what I am going to have.
9 orders are ahead of me, so, it will take at least 3 months till my saw mill arrives home.
Here is the specs on the saw mill:
http://logmaster.com/PDFs/LogMaster-Pg8-9.pdf
Retired US Army.

sealark37

Welcome aboard-Since you are retired US Army, I would remind you that even though Comp C does a fine job, a good chainsaw is the preferred method of felling.  You might spend a few bucks hiring a mobile sawyer to come to you and work up a few logs, just for the experience.  Most on this forum are willing and eager to help another sawyer.  And, most can be bribed easily with food, (No C-rats).   Regards, Clark

kelLOGg

Welcome to the Forum. I'm in Durham so not too far from you either. Like NCDiesel, I'm surprised at no response from Cook???
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

sawmillhand

Welcome to the forum and a big Hello back from Mississippi
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Happycamper

Wow,  Looks like the LM2 is a quality mill and will be fun, fast, easy to work with as well as durable. The wait for it will be long but worth it I'm sure. Here you will fine answers to any questions about milling from some very knowledgeable people.
                                          Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

redbeard

Wow your going to love all those hydraulic features especially the up n down saw head. Very impressive mill. The diesel would really make that package a dream machine.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MRowsh.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

millwright

Welcome to the forum. I saw a lot of cedar power poles and have been using a  Garret Ace with good results, though you still hit an occasonal rock.

MRowsh

Thanks for all the welcome notes. Appreciate it.
And yes to the guys close by for getting together and talk wood and sawing. I will possibly ask for help when I get my saw mill. And thanks for the offer.

Questions:
1. For a 19 ft long saw blade, what is it's cutting life before sharpening is required? Of course assumption is, that it does not hit anything else except wood.  And if the saw goes through a hard none wood object, is it done with and useless, or it is repairable?

2. Is it possible to use freshly cut pine lumber to be used for building sheds, and green house? Or we should not do it?

Thanks much
MR
Retired US Army.

redbeard

Band blades are whole another animal. The key is to replace you blade before it gets dull. Pushing dull blades through the logs is hard on them and shortens the life. 19' is a lot of teeth. I get 300-500 bf out of a sharp band mine are 12'-6" it varies on what your species is. Its your call if you want to get into sharpening & setting. The long haul it will pay for it self. In the 7 years I have been milling I could have paid for a sharpener setter 10 times. Your blades are probably going to run 30-$35 new. If you have a huge supply of logs you will be able to mill you sheds, garage, and even a house pkg. In several weeks with the mill you chose, you will have a huge pile of lumber in no time.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

scsmith42

It's always great to see another FF member from NC; welcome to the Forestry Forum!  I'm located about an hour west of you, in-between Sanford and Raleigh.  You're welcome to stop by, but since I run a swing mill my setup is going to be different than yours.

There is a FF member named Ivey who operates one of the large LM mills.  He lives about an hour and a half east of you in Burgaw, which is near Wilmington.

It would be very beneficial if you could spend 1/2 or even a full day with a band miller between now and when your sawmill arrives.  You will leave a lot of do's and don'ts with respect to the mill, and they can offer some good advice about when to sharpen, etc.  You will also want to learn about stacking and stickering lumber, and you're going to want to learn about proper ways to dry lumber.

In one of your earlier posts you enquired about building with green pine; yes it's doable but it's a good idea to understand how the wood will move as it dries and to plan accordingly.  You can find a lot of good info on this topic in the archives here on the FF.

Also, if you search the archives there are some interesting articles about Aquaponics - I think that the last one that I read was by Ron Wenrich and it was very insightful.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MRowsh

Thanks scsmith42, I think I will ask Ivey to see if he is willing to let me help him one day, and learn from him. First I have to find his email address or find out how I can send him a message.  That was a very good advise, because his saw mill possibly has a lot in common in functionality with LM2.
I assume he got the one with my favorit engine,  Diesel in it.  I wanted a Diesel engine too, but the cost increase was over $5k, and I could not handle it.
Retired US Army.

drobertson

Welcome back home Mrowsh, looks like you picked a good one, seen one working several years back, although this one had the 51hp cat. Nice mills, only issues I noticed were the usual bearing type stuff. Big heavy duty rascals they are,  you should be pleased.   A note on metal detectors, if you are in a timber stand the metal should be negligible, yard trees in the hardwood variety will most often show bluing in the butt cut. Pine will self heal and hide the signs, as well as hickory.  Hope all goes well in your new career,  david,  and thanks again for your service!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Nomad

MRowsh, send him a PM.  It will notify him by email that he has a message waiting here, and tell him the content.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Shotgun

MRowsh-
Here's Ivey's profile (https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=3632).  You can send him a PM (Private Message) by going to his profile and looking for 'Send PM' in upper left.  Note that a PM is not an email message.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

I have cut the tree,brought it to the mill,sawed it out and started building with it. But that was hemlock and Maine. Buildings are still standing. I would not do this with a house. What I mean,is start to finish off the inside. Maybe build the shell and let it dry for a year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MRowsh

Thanks shotgun, I sent him a PM.
Retired US Army.

Amelia Farms

MRowsh, I am just south of Greensboro, have a WMLT40. I do most of my sawing on weekends, you are welcome to come up any time and see how I do it.
Dave
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

MRowsh

Hi Dave,
That be great. I would appreciate that.  How about October time frame. Now, it is a little too warm for this old soldier!  Specially, when I do not have a saw yet.  I think I might get it sometimes in November.  So, October will do me fine.
Thanks again Dave.
MR
Retired US Army.

MAI

Welcome to the FF. Our members are full of information and always willing to help.  Thank you for serving our country.

Amelia Farms

October should be fine, just let me know a couple of weeks in advance so I am sure that I will be sawing.

Dave
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

MRowsh

Thanks much Dave.

I bought a backhoe; John Deere 315 SE, 4X4, 4 in 1 bucket, extended hoe. It suppose to get home by August 20th. I need it to drop trees and then move the trunks where I can make some lumber.
Retired US Army.

ddcuning

Welcom MRowsh, I am over in Pittsboro running an ole circle mill. Good to have more NC folks on the FF.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

scsmith42

Quote from: MRowsh on August 08, 2013, 04:04:17 PM

I bought a backhoe; John Deere 315 SE, 4X4, 4 in 1 bucket, extended hoe. It suppose to get home by August 20th. I need it to drop trees and then move the trunks where I can make some lumber.

Excellent choice!  Outfitted with some forks, that backhoe will provide you with plenty of lifting capacity for the mill and stacked lumber.

If you're not already familiar with them, the USDA has some great, free manuals about sawing and drying lumber.

MRowsh

Thanks SCSmith42. And yes, I have to build a fork for it. How long should I make the arm?

By any chance, do you have the web site address for USDA free manuals?. 

I have dried wood before, but it is not a bad idea for me to check and see what they got.

The first time I dried oak, I did not know to seal the ends, so I had some cracking issues. Next time I used the car undercoating spray cans; and it sure worked good, but the ends looks black and had to cut a piece of before using them.  Live and learn!!

I guess this time around, I will use some white paint to seal each end.
Retired US Army.

scsmith42

Here is a link to a pdf copy of the air drying manual:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr117.pdf

Typically the best sources for end sealer are Anchor Seal Classic from U.S. Coatings (I buy it by the 55 gallon drum), or Bailey's End Sealer from baileysonline.com in 5 gallon pails.

The commercial end sealer will not mess up your post-processing equipment.  It's best to apply directly to the ends of the logs as soon as possible after felling and bucking.

Re the forks, but best compromise that I have seen are the flip-over kind that stay attached to your bucket.  They hinge at the top and flip over the back of the bucket when not in use. 

If you build a dedicated fork assembly that attaches in lieu of the bucket, you will be able to lift more logs due to the fact that the center of weight is closer to the pivot point on the lift arms.

I have found that short, heavy fixed forks (36") are better for picking logs out of piles, but longer forks (44" - 48") are better for moving around stacks of lumber.  I like to make my stacks around 40" - 44" deep, which allows me to yield two 48" stickers from an 8' board.

MRowsh

At last got the backhoe delivered to me.  Welded two heavy duty hooks to the top of the bucket. Now in process of fabricating forks.
Now waiting for my saw mill.
Got a picture to post, but I do not see any option of posting picture here.
Retired US Army.

beenthere

Posting pics starts out with the pic being .jpg format on your computer.
Then having you a gallery set up via your profile setup.
Then, using the blue "Click here to add Photos to post" line below this window, proceed to the "Upload file" button. If already in your gallery, then go to the "My gallery" button.

A good primer can be found on the Home page, down under the "Behind the Forum" and the first thread there.

Look forward to your pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MRowsh

I do not see the "Click here to add Photos to post" at the bottom! I already posted a picture of food on other place, but that option is not at this page!
Retired US Army.

beenthere

It is right below this window

Need to be in reply or post mode to see it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MRowsh

Okay, now the option showed up. Let us see if I can post the picture here.

Retired US Army.

beenthere

You got it!!  Nice Deere..  8)
south central Wisconsin

MRowsh

Thanks.
I had hard time finding oil filter for it on Sunday. I went to about 5 different stores, and none of them had it. So, I had to order it via internet. 
I used the backhoe to pull two stumps, and it sure was not easy at all. I had to dig around it, before I could yank them out. I got a lot of work ahead of me. Got to drop about 50 trees.  That is where the saw mill can do some good work. Of course I have no clue when it arrives!
Retired US Army.

samandothers

Thanks for your service glad 8/20 has past and you are on site and playing with toys! 

Let the fun begin!

thecfarm

MRowsh

It sure was my honor to serve. I do love this country and do whatever it takes to preserve it.  I have been studying our Constitution, and all the Federalist papers. Too bad we are in process of  losing our Republic! 
There is a price for everything in life, and We The People are going to pay it!!!
The work and the saw mill is going to be fun, but in few cases it is tough. I got three red oak very close to house. One of them is kind of have a few degrees angle toward the garage with few big branches right about 30 feet over the top of the garage. That is kind of tough to drop. I have to go up, tie a chain about 25 feet up, and then use the winch and put some pull toward the other way. Then tie another chain about 3 feet above ground and tie it to another tree, so it does not fly and hit the house after cutting it. Then put the direction wedge and the pray to All Mighty real hard and cut for drop. All three of these red oaks are very tall, and thick. I sure hope it works as I have planned it.
Retired US Army.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

MRowsh,

First, thank you for your service and obvious devotion to our country.

You might want to bite the bullet and get a professional (arborist or good logger) to help taking down those oaks that are near the house.

BTW, we like pictures...

Herb

MRowsh

The cheapest estimate was $1400 per tree!  I have dropped about 89 trees and mostly big ones. Using the winch and then secure the lower part has  worked well, specially when there is no wind at all. Due to the fact that all of them are very tall, I have to pay attention to wind. Even a very light wind can ruin my day!
I have to be very careful.
And if I make through these, for sure I will post pictures. And if you do not here from me, I be by pearly gate waiting for you guys!!
I possibly do them late Jan or early Feb when they are naked, and catching wind has decreased a bit.
Retired US Army.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Well, sounds like you got a plan and have had some experience with this type of situation before. So I'll wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing and seeing how you did in January or February.

Just be extra careful. I'm living evidence that even someone who has a long lifetime of experience in a field can make a mistake and get hurt in a hurry.

Good Luck!

Herb

thecfarm

I suppose you know that red oak loves to split due to it's straight grain? You don't want it splitting on you. Don't over tighten the chain. Really need 2 people. BOTH need to know to take it slow and easy,get the hand signals down pat before starting.

MRowsh

I usually tie a chain about two feet above the cut, if I am dealing with anything big and tall. And sure hope that prevent it from tearing me apart, in case of a bad split. And the small stuff, I started pushing them with the bucket. Last weekend I took down about 10 trees, they were about 6 inches max in diameter. I dig one side with the backhoe, then from the other side pushed from top with the bucket as high as I got get to. They just nicely fall down with root coming out with them. Then I dig  the bucket a little down, and then push the root all the way out with the bucket.
Retired US Army.

scsmith42

That's a great looking backhoe!

I've gotten to where I prefer to fell the tree completely with my backhoe, and then cut the stump off of the log after it's down.  The nice thing about this is that I don't have to grind the stumps, and the weight and height of the tree makes is much easier to remove the stump.  Since we have horses here on the farm, I don't like the idea of leaving a stump in the ground that can rot out and cause a horses leg to drop in it and break.

I'll set the hoe up and dig a trench down opposite sides of the tree; each trench about 5' long and down about 18" - 24".  Mainly I'm trying to cut through all of the roots.  Next, I reposition the backhoe so that I can cut trenches down the other two sides of the tree, in effect I have now dug a box all around the tree.  Finally I'll swing the hoe up as high as I can get it on the trunk, and push the trunk over - uprooting the tree.  Usually I will orientate my trenches so that when I finish the second pair, the backhoe is already positioned so that all I have to do is swing the hoe up and push.  If I follow the tree down with the hoe, I can actually steer it down and usually fell it right where I want it to go.

If the tree refuses to uproot, then I will dig the trenches a little deeper and repeat.  Using an extend-a-hoe helps too.

I like this method better than the chain method, as the backhoe is not in the falling path of the tree (although you have to be watch what your doing when you are cutting through the roots so that you don't uplift the tree to one side).  It is also faster - especially when you consider that you don't have to take the time to grind stumps or dig them out later.

MRowsh

SCSmith:
Unfortunately, the big oaks are very close to the house. No way I can use the backhoe in those cases. I will get few pictures this weekend and post them later so you see what I have to deal with.
Retired US Army.

MRowsh

Here is few pictures of red oaks very close to the house. I got them 3 sides of the house.

And here the one that is leaning over the garage:

And here another next to the sun room:

Retired US Army.

m wood

Just jumpin in late here, so welcome mrowsh.  Sweeet Deeeere!  I want one to play with too.  Sweeet saw too.  Thats gonna make some dust!  Got a shed yet, or are you planning on mostly mobile (with those tandem axles)?

As far as those red oaks go, sounds like you are thinking this through and should do just fine. we got the before pics, cant wait to see the afters...'specially when that mill gets to ya.
mark 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

MRowsh

Thanks m wood

It is me and myself to clear the land for the shed. The youth energy has gone! So, my progress is slow. I am trying to get the shed ready for Thanks Giving when the saw gets here. Sure hope to make it by then.
Retired US Army.

scsmith42

Those are definitely some challenging removals!  Glad that it's you and not me! :D

MRowsh

Yesterday worked a little cutting up few pieces of C channel beams to fabricate a fork for the bucket. Almost 90 percent done.

And here is what I harvested from my Aquaponics system for Sunday night dinner:

And here is what we enjoyed for Sunday Dinner:

Thanks God, life is good!!
Retired US Army.

ET

Welcome to FF too. If those forks dont hold together for you, look into getting a set of CTI forks installed. They are a little pricey but well worth the investment. Also i have been using a Garret hand held wand; the same kind used in airports and courthouses etc. i use a lucas with $400 blades and cannot afford not to check. Blue or black stain is a dead givaway of metal.

Ive been lucky and have never hit another type of foreign object other than metal.  They are under $200 bucks and no hassle one button on and off. No setup required. Just my 2 cents worth and good luck.

Come to the Ohio Paul Bunyan show in october, fun stuff!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

beenthere

The idea of forks for your bucket is great, and am thinking you will be doing some more welding at the lower joint "soon" if you don't add some gussets outside and inside of the channel at that joint. Maybe not, but better to do it before it twists apart from a load rather than repairing later. IMO  ;)

The food looks great too!
south central Wisconsin

MRowsh

beenthere:  That is the reason I said 90 percent done with. Yes, I am going to weld two brackets for extra support.
Retired US Army.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had to get my personal welder to make my forks for my backhoe. I commend you for knowing how to weld.
My welding looks like chicken stew......if ya know what I mean.  :D

When you're finished, these forks will become a good friend. I can't do without mine.
If ya get time, post a pic when finished.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Mrowsh,an easier and satisfactory way to pick up you logs would be to take two three foot pieces of heavy angle iron and bolt them to the bottom corners of your bucket,inside or out whichever is easier.I used them for years.Cut a point on the tip and a swale further back to cradle the log.Easy on easy off to use the bucket. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MRowsh

bandmiller2:
Would appreciate a picture of what you have. That would give me a better idea. A picture worth at least 200 words!!
Retired US Army.

MRowsh

Almost there now!  Just need to rust proof the forks, and maybe add a bottom base support from forks to under the bucket. Or maybe not!

Retired US Army.

MRowsh

Started clearing an area in order pill up the logs. Had a little issue will hanging a pine tree way up on an oak. I had to drop three more trees in order to get the pine down. One of the oak that had all the weight on was a typical widowmaker, and as I thought it did spit on me. I booked as soon as I heard a crack side way and it missed me. I should have done what I had done before in this situation, but I took a stupid chance and got away with it.
I usually wrap a chain tightly few turns at the bottom about two inches above where I am going to cut.
I do not think I am going to take a chance for the rest of my project!
I took a picture of the pine hanging on the oak, but I forgot to take a picture of that oak till it was all done with. The spilt is about 10 feet long.

I dropped few more after that one.

Retired US Army.

beenthere

I'd suggest you get some chainsaw felling training, if I'm reading your tale right.
Sounds like you went under that hanging pine and cut the oak. Better to have used the tractor to pull the pine butt off the stump and pulled the pine down out of the oak.

Also, mentioning that you use a chain just above the felling cut to keep from splitting the oak tree, means you could have used the boring technique (but shouldn't have been felling the oak that held the pine tree).

Hesitated saying anything, but am concerned that you are taking chances here that didn't need to be.
However in the end, you may cut trees down the way you want to and not the way I would. ;)
south central Wisconsin

MRowsh

Tested the forks. Works good.

Another lift went well with two logs:

Tried pushing under the third log and lift, but hit a stump and kept pushing! Bend the fork!  I guess stumps do not give much!!

So, for the rest of the work, I just used the 4X1 bucket

Retired US Army.

ET

Sorry to hear that your forks bent like that. Tremendous forces are at work with heavy equipment. I attached a pic of my CTI forks i had mentioned earlier. That 5 way bucket is really cool and may work out except for the really biguns. Ernie

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

MRowsh

Hey Ernie, do you recall how big that one was? I assume close to 36 inches.
Lovely log there.  You got pictures of the lumber you cut off of that one?

I am going to fix the fork and update it a bit.
Retired US Army.

thecfarm

Watch them stumps.  :D   I know the feeling ::)   Either get something smaller to put the forks on or be more careful. I'm one to talk.  :D

ET

That log was a dead ash, one of a dozen;  a few are even bigger. They are still sitting in the pasture awaiting their fate. Im still working on getting buildings put up. The site dozers are actually starting next week as long as it quits raining long enough.

Thank You Sponsors!