iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bought mcculloch pm1000 how to fix it up

Started by davefrommd, May 03, 2004, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

I bought a used mcculloch pm1000 from a friend for $50.00. He works on small engines and often gets lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc. to either fix or sell.  I think it was a bargain. It runs great. It looks to be well taken care of. I wanted to put a new bar and chain on it, kind of want to go over to see if anythig else needs to be done or replaced.  What would you recommend if this was your chainsaw.  I was thinking on a 36" bar. Can the muffler be inhanced. I have three other chainsaws. One is a stihl 440 -25" bar, mcculloch pm1010-s with a 20" bar and another 1010s with a 28" bar. Any of your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  dave

oldsaw-addict

The McCulloch PM1000 is actually a rebadged Partner model P100 , its 100CC's about 6-7HP, and would handle a 40" bar easily. The info can be found at http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/baaa3483b43eb4d988256afd004da8d2?OpenDocument

I'm pretty sure that you could just open up the muffler just like most other saws, but I'm not certain since I'm not intricately familiar with Partner saws. Kevin knows more than I about this.
Congrats on a nice saw though.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

davefrommd

Hey thanks alot for your imput and link. That's the one, made in sweden. Makes me feel good that I got a good deal on a chainsaw.  I'm sure it's worth alot more then what he asked for and I'm sure he knows it also. It's nice to have a friend in the small engines business. Which bar brand and length and chain would you choose. Thanks again. Dave

oldsaw-addict

For bars, I've used mostly windsor brand, but I'm told the GB brand is also just as tough, same thing for Cannon and Woodsman Pro bars. If you buy a GB you'll get the best deal around from Jeff Sikkema. His website is www.snssawshop.com  Take a look, his prices are VERY competitive, and he's a nice guy to do business with too. You'll probably like him. his chain is also top notch too, I think he sells Carlton or some other GOOD brand, not the cheap junk you get at Lowes.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

davefrommd

Hey thanks for your suggestions on the bars. I'll go check jeff's link. I recently bought a 28" GB bar and it seems to be of very good quality. appreciate your help.  Dave

incognitive

Don't know about that saw particularly, but a good rule of thumb is if the saw's pre EPA/OSHA regulated, it likely won't need any muffler work done.

Thank You Sponsors!