iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered 2172 problems

Started by ga jones, July 31, 2013, 09:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ga jones

Is anyone else having trouble with 2172 . I have one my pardoner has one and 2 other loggers I work with have them. We all have issues with not idling shutting off when turning on its side. Hard starting. The idling is the worst. The dealer can't figure it out.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ladylake

When turning on the side do they speed up and die which would be a air leak most likely seals.  If the slow down and die it's too much gas, try close the low jet a little , it could be a leaky needle also, maybe bas diaphragms.   If they're slowing down and stalling put them on fast idle with no choke or hold the throttle open when restarting.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

I'm hearing this on their XT brother as well. 

martyinmi

It's kinda funny how irony manifests itself sometimes, as this saw came up in conversation today at work.
My friend at work has had his back to the dealer 3 times in the 1 1/2 - 2 years he's owned his. His seems to run alright until it warms up, then appears to run hot and lose some power. It also idles poorly right after a fairly long cut (20" Ash), but after about a 20 second cool down the idle gets better and starts to sound normal.
When it has ran at it's best it would not keep up with my Pro Mac 700. It will barely outrun my MS 310.
He thought that he was one of the only ones to be having issues with his.
Could you folks keep us informed on what you find with this saw?
My friend is afraid to use his for fear of seizing it.
I told him to just run it until it blows as long as it's still under warranty and that he could just borrow one of my old Macs or Homie's till the dealer gets him a new one ;) ;D
He wasn't sure how long the full replacement part of the warranty lasts, or lasted, which ever might be the case.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

keen

I had to adjust the metering lever up on my 2172 to get it to idle correctly. Pressure/vac tested good on it.  Crank bearings blew on it eventually. Other loggers around me had problems with the 372xt's(same as 2172) blowing bearings. I won't buy another. I had some old school 372's laying around and a 2171 I put new bearings and top ends. The old school 371'372s would take a heck of beating. Now I'm mostly using the 562's and 390xp. I've had my share of issues with the 562's also but warranty and a good dealer fixed everything without a hassle.

Marty I would tell your friend to take it to the dealer and have them pressure/vac test it. It should have a 2 year warranty so he should get it fixed before that ends.

ga jones

I dropped a log on my 2172. Broke the case.i had a 2171 case. Put it together with the72 top end. (The cylinder is different ). Ground the case to fit the 72 cylinder. Been running a few days and it runs great! No issues. My guess is the problem is the case.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

coxy

I have a 2172 that runs great my 372 is doing the same as your 2172 the dealer cant find any thing wrong it wont do it when he has it  may just put it in back of dozer track  :o :D  wish I could find some new old stock 288 they where the best saw money could buy jmop

ehp

Ok what most guys are getting is the new XT saws has a different coil that advances the timing alot more than the older xp models did and the advance comes on at a very low rpm , if your low speed jet is set a touch rich and then they turn the idle screw in to set idle rpm  it does not work very well on this saw nor does it start worth a crap plus with the xt having alot smaller intake port this increases the vacuum impulse to the carb so it draws alot more fuel at idle . I set my xt's not lean but close to lean on idle and you have to have idle rpm low enough that it rpms donot go up and down cause thats the coil doing that and as far as starting , all my xt's I pull the choke out and pull 1 time then shovel the choke in and they start next pull , I donot use the decompressure at all

rfm7fxfox

The problem with the bottom end bearings letting go on the new 2172 and 372 is the excessive pressure that is routed into the case. I've talked to many guys that after a good port job that problem is gone. All that pressure is hell on the seals and bearings. The 2172 has the doors on the transfer ports just like the 2166. Removing them and cleaning em up works wonders to relieve some of that pressure in the case....
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

sharkey

There is another problem area on these located where the carb attaches to the intake.  If the carb has been off and on a couple times the hold down bolts seem to loosen by themselves.  Must be vibration?  Test the area where the carb attaches to the intake with jet spray or wd-40 while the engine is idleing.  If its leaking it will stall right away.

The bearings on these are frankly just cheap.  Who knows what they were thinking when they went with plastic cages.  It must be one of those accounting decisions where they can save a dollar on the bearings over a million units.  Run them at 32:1 not 50:1.       

rfm7fxfox

I've been told to run 32:1 by numerous people but we've always run 50:1 we use the husky oil in the silver bottle the synthetic stuff and never had a problem...
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

ga jones

I run amsoil 100 to 1. Never had a problem with bearings or blowing up.

double clutchin weasel

Quote from: rfm7fxfox on October 11, 2013, 08:55:24 PM
The problem with the bottom end bearings letting go on the new 2172 and 372 is the excessive pressure that is routed into the case. I've talked to many guys that after a good port job that problem is gone. All that pressure is hell on the seals and bearings. The 2172 has the doors on the transfer ports just like the 2166. Removing them and cleaning em up works wonders to relieve some of that pressure in the case....
For what it's worrh...
I recently spoke with a Husqvarna engineer in Huskvarna, Sweden (I have friends over there). He added that, in addition to the plastic cages they have used for about the last 10 years, there had been an assembly problem on 372s in recent years which added to the likelihood that the bearings would fail prematurely. This issue has supposedly been corrected on the most recent builds.
I gave him the same speech about cutting corners on critical components. But, just like the bearings we produce in our facility, some have plastic cages in some of them to save a few pennies. Makes no sense to me either.
Anyway, like I said, for what it's worth...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

rattler

The one I had did the same thing when it was new I retuned it I think they are way too lean when new.

Thank You Sponsors!