iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

splitting fast and wood sticking on wedge

Started by Logging logginglogging, July 31, 2013, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

I have been reading about how people have been having wood stick on the wedge on there splitter. When I am splitting usually soon as the wood pops and the wedge is fully in the wood I usually stop and grab the split piece closest to me and pull it off. This speeds up splitting time because the cylinder isn't even doing a full cycle in most cases and I never have wood stuck on the wedge. Do others do this too?
In other words in my case  the wedge almost never travels the full length of the piece being split unless its really stringy wood and wont come apart.

thecfarm

Yes and no. on pulling the piece of closet to me. If it's stuck on the wedge,there is no pulling it off. I had a piece of wood stick on the wedge a few times. But I split alot of nasty looking wood too and all kinds too. My wood that I split is not nice looking wood or small stuff either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: thecfarm on July 31, 2013, 08:16:35 AM
Yes and no on  on pulling the piece of closet to me. If it's stuck on the wedge,there is no pulling it off. I had a piece of wood stick on the wedge a few times. But I split alot of nasty looking wood too and all kinds too. My wood that I split is not nice looking wood or small stuff either.

That's what I mean, by pulling the wood off it don't get stuck and speeds up the process unless its stringy and hard to split wood like I said above. I do this no matter the size of the wood.

woodmills1

just saying as youy do this longer you will find

some wood will not split as you pull on it

even one way split

ifins you never experiences whats I say ub havin just too much way nice wood get a sawmill
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: woodmills1 on July 31, 2013, 06:19:10 PM
just saying as youy do this longer you will find

some wood will not split as you pull on it

even one way split

ifins you never experiences whats I say ub havin just too much way nice wood get a sawmill

lol been doing this for years ..wid no problems..... and I do get nast stringy wood as stated above.... I never said it worked for all I said it works for most...lol read

John Mc

The problem is the real stickers... If you can pull off the piece close to you, then it's not really stuck on the wedge.  It doesn't happen to me a lot (mostly because I avoid American Elm, if I can), but the occasional gnarly piece will get stuck, and may be too tough for my splitter to just power through it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

r.man

I pull partially split wood apart on the splitter but it is to speed things up. My splitter is very slow but the wedge is quite abrupt so once the piece cracks I try to pop it apart. Most wood I handle I can pull it apart at the half way point, good wood at a third of the stroke but stringy has to go all the way through. I have had to pound pieces back off the wedge and every time it happens, which isn't very often, I think I should make up a pair of chains with pigs feet on them and weld a hook on each side of the pusher to make the job easy. Then I forget about it until the next time one sticks.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

tyb525

I try not to mess with the ugly pieces that I know are going to cause problems, the few sticks of wood they would make are not worth the extra time in my book. They go into the camp wood pile ;) and I get on with the stuff that doesn't give me fits.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Most splitters do not shove the wedge completely to the end of the stroke .If you just have a little block of 4 by 4 if you get one struck and jamb it between either the push block of an end wedge or under the round on a movable wedge and stroke it clear through most times it will split .

If nothing else it might save you the trouble of beating on the round with a sledge hammer to shake it loose .A spliiter is supposed to be a work saver not a work maker . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!