iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electrical ? for the mechanics here

Started by sandhills, July 30, 2013, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

All this pig roast talk has me all wound up, I'm working on a '55 Chevy pickup that was draining the battery and wouldn't charge while running.  First off someone (not me) had wired the generator up backwards, that was easy enough to figure out but I think it's fried now and even if it isn't I'm sure this was original equiptment and it is wore out, the brushes are running in a groove so deep I honestly don't think you could turn it down that far.  So instead of spending the money on all that I bought a one wire alternator for it, this truck has been converted to a 12 volt negative ground system so my question is, if I totally bypass the regulator and hook the wire going to the battery post of the regulator to the alternator will the amp gauge in the dash still work or do I need to run a separate wire to it and if so from where?  This was my late uncles truck and I swear more people worked and wired on this thing in it's life it really is hard to trace anything that may have been original.

nk14zp

You need to come out of the alt to the amp gauge and then to the bat.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

sandhills

park ranger

That's right about going to the amp meter first, the thing is, it has to be real heavy wire.  A volt meter is I think more useful and can be done with thinner wire (in parallel not series like the amp meter) .  You can tell the volts it's putting out not just the draw.

rmack

why waste time with an ammeter?.. they have been obsolete for ages. A voltmeter is about same money, will tell you if your alt is charging or not, and will tell you the condition of your battery (read, no surprises when you go to start the motor, or before you decide if you want to turn it off).

just hook between ignition on power source and ground... easy peazy.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

sandhills

Thanks again guys, just trying to keep it as original as possible and use the original gauge in the dash.  I think I got everything I need now and going to try to put together today, had to modify a few of the brackets and just ran out of time so I'll see what I can destroy today.  I could tear down the engine and rebuild it in my sleep, but with electrical stuff I'm about as stupid as you can get  ::).

millwright

If the original generator was hooked up backwards you may have been able to hook it up the proper way and then just repolarize it.

sandhills

I did hook it up correctly and tried it but sill got no charge.  Other thing is, it's just plain wore out, brushes are all but gone and like I said the groove they're running in is REALLY deep, plus the regulator alone costs more than the alternator did if that should go bad.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can't help you Sandhills but since you're working on a 55 Chevy Pickup, good luck and please post a few pics down the line.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

I have once David, don't remember for sure where so I'll do it again  :)

That's her, the second picture shows my Uncles log of trips and highways, I was fortunate enough to spend 2 weeks with him in it in around about trip to Alaska.  Goal for next year, piggy roast  ;D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I do remember these pics and a very nice truck. I thought maybe you had another one.......or 3. ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

I installed a Single pole alternator (new from a starter/alternator shop) on my Farmall tractor.  I ripped out all the original wiring and regulator.  I ran one wire from the alternator to the amp meter  (which was not operational so it was bypassed)  and on the battery.  Keeps battery charged, able to operate 12 volt winch and  power tools via an inverter with no problems.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Al_Smith

If the ampmeter  is good I'd use it .Probabley a good choice using an alternater instead of a generator .

1955 was kind of a transition year for automotive stuff .Some had switched to 12 volt stuff some kept 6 volt .1956 and after most had gone to 12 volt .

Al_Smith

A little note on that tractor stuff .If you use a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt starter it draws 4 times the amps but puts out 4 times the power .It's just fine providing to don't try and grind the starter for 5 minutes at a time .Because if you do it's only a matter of time before you melt the solder out of the comutator to amature windings .Fact being as I type I have one in the garage I have to resolder . >:(

Thank You Sponsors!