iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else having trouble air drying pine this summer?

Started by WoodenHead, July 30, 2013, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

res
QuoteAfter all, you can only produce it certain times of the year, and the conditions have to be right or no "Blue Pine".

The OP suggests having problems with mold as shown in the pics.
A tad bit different from the blue stain you suggest coping with for the "lemonade".  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Brother Been is right.....mold is entirely different from Blue Stain.

I have customer begging for Blue Stain,,,,now if I can find a market for Mold....
I will be the most interesting richest man in the world.  :D

WoodenHead

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 30, 2013, 09:56:33 PM
Brother Been is right.....mold is entirely different from Blue Stain.

There seems to be a link between the two though.  As I am cutting I've been noticing the blue stain through my flitches and at the edges of some of my cant boards.   The boards with the most mold also have blue stain in the same areas.  I've tried planing a few of them and what I typically have left is blue stained wood.  Some boards, of course, go beyond that.

I've thought of fans, but I would have to run a generator to power them.  (Or a very sizeable POWERBOX - Do you guys have shares in the company or something?   :D)

slider

Bleach will help when you stack and sticker but you need air as well.
al glenn

hackberry jake

Ok. I sawed some more pine this morning and went and stacked it in the chicken house. I did see a few spots where mold was starting. I have only sawn about 1/3 of my pine logs. Would it be better to leave the lumber in the logs until winter or is that too long?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

OlJarhead

Blue Stain or Sap Stain IS mold.  It's a mold which breaks down the trees protection mechanism which then allows the pine beetles to get into the tree.

I've never seen pine mold like that when stickered but maybe it's because I live in a dry climate ???
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

beenthere

QuoteIt's a mold which breaks down the trees protection mechanism which then allows the pine beetles to get into the tree.
I'm of the impression it happens AFTER the tree is dead from beetles, or after the logs are cut and lay around before processing. So thinking it isn't the cause of the trees demise.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In an earlier reply in this post, I did say Mold and Blue Stain was entirely different.

What I was referring to was WOODENHEAD was asking about the mold that QUICKLY grows on his Pine boards.

Not Blue Stain. 

If you have a market, Blue Stain may get you a few more dollars.
The Moldy, Mildewy, Fuzzy mold Woodenhead asked about will get you no where.

This is why I said they were entirely different.  :)

OlJarhead

QuoteWhen a board or timber is cut from a log, mold spores can come in contact with the nutrient rich wood with its inherent high moisture content and they begin to multiply and spread over the face of the lumber.

As they spread they create a stain which is normally blue, but can actually be different colors. Throughout the years I have seen not only blue, but also black, red and yellow.

If this mold/stain is not checked, it can penetrate into the wood with tendrils and take the infection deep into the lumber or timbers.

Article Source: http://ezinearticles.com/1784880
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-Sapstain---Blue-Stain?&id=1784880

I'll have to search for the symbiotic relationship from the sapstain mold and the boring beetle...

OlJarhead

QuoteAlthough blue stain fungi spores may arrive on the wind, they are more likely to hitchhike to their favorite restaurant on the body of an insect, usually a bark beetle. Bark beetles have an uncanny way of zeroing in on stressed, dying, and newly dead trees. Vigorous trees can sense a beetle's presence and drown it in resins, terpenes, and other defense compounds. Beetles don't fare well on healthy trees. But compromised trees, which most certainly include those that have just been severed from their root systems, are a blue stain fungus's dream.

When beetles deliver fungal spores, their passengers are co-conspirators: the fungus helps the beetle overwhelm the host tree's defenses. Many sap staining fungi have developed adaptations that help them travel on beetles. Their spores are sticky and are released from vase-like fruiting bodies with long necks, positioned at just the right height to be picked up by beetles during their travels.
http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/blue_stain_fungi/

OlJarhead

hackberry jake

So, leave the logs alone til fall and I'll have "highly valuable blue stain" or mill them now and I'll have "low grade stringy mold boards". Is this correct?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

redprospector

Haha. You guy's need to think outside the box.
The hairy mold in the picture, and the sap stain are both fungus. They will both turn the wood blue. You will however have to quit messing around and dry the lumber or it will go to waste.
A dollar to a doughnut hole say's that if you dry out that moldy lumber, and run it through a planer, it will be as blue as any blue pine you've ever seen, and it is marketable.

I may not be the most interesting man in the world, but I do know how to make the best of a bad situation.  smiley_beertoast

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kingcha

These boards where cut from dead standing trees that had been attacked by the pine beetles. 

I find it sorta of funny as I had stated I had not had a big problem with mold.   I stacked a few boards near a building with not much air flow....yep mold growth.   I also left 2 boards lying on the new floor of my solar kiln and got some mold under them.       I guess pine really needs to be sticker stacked in a spot with good airflow right away.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

redprospector

Quote from: Kingcha on July 31, 2013, 06:47:46 PM
These boards where cut from dead standing trees that had been attacked by the pine beetles. 

I find it sorta of funny as I had stated I had not had a big problem with mold.   I stacked a few boards near a building with not much air flow....yep mold growth.   I also left 2 boards lying on the new floor of my solar kiln and got some mold under them.       I guess pine really needs to be sticker stacked in a spot with good airflow right away.

That is some nice looking Pine. Very nice color. What kind of pine is it?
When I had my furniture shop I would have to try to make blue pine sometimes. Around here, from March through June the humidity will be sometimes as low as 12 or 14%. I would stack green Pine tight in a shady spot, and occasionally add water. When the mold got started real good, I'd throw it in the kiln and dry it out. When it got planed it was as blue as any standing dead, maybe more blue. It was dang hard to make it in the winter though.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kingcha

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

OlJarhead

Love that siding! :)

I use 'Blue Pine' for a LOT of things :)  Stained with Honey Oak it's awesome looking stuff!  These Adirondacks ire made with the stuff.

With the oak stain it's harder to see and these were made from some really old stained wood so in some areas more brown then anything else.  My window trim at the cabin is all done this way also.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here's a quick pic I took this morning of some SYP I finished sawing this morning.
The Pine with the grey fuzzy mold on it was sawn Friday. So.... mold will start growing pretty quick in the Southern humidity and heat.
This is a customers barn siding and the mold will not hurt the lumber as long as he gets it on the barn in a timely manner.
Again....just surface mold.

sealark37

All this is one of the reasons the old-time circle sawyers did not fire up the mill until the leaves started to turn.  Too hot and too humid to sawmill.  Regards, Clark

EZland

I had sawn about 800 BFT with a friend in June.  We split the same pile of pine boards.  Nice stuff, 18 wide, 4/4 and most of it clear.  He stacked his in a huge old chick coop and it turned blue.   I stacked mine in my solar kiln and it is yellow and perfect.  I am sure glad I did, because it is my wife hutch. 

So what out side humidity is low enough not to turn the SYP blue?  What %? 

Ed
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Ianab

I don't think there is a specific number. Temperature and air flow make a big difference as well. If you have the heat and air flow the surface of the wood dries fast enough that the mould doesn't get a start.

So this is where your kiln does it's magic, heat and airflow. While stacking the wood in the calm air inside a shed starts a mushroom farm.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Air flow negates humidity.  Fans are your friend with southern yellow pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!