iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leaning Tower

Started by dboyt, July 29, 2013, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

I visited a friend's (and FF member) sawmill a while back, and noticed this stack of lumber air drying.  Couldn't resist the photo.  Any theories on how it is still standing?  My only guess is that, having been cut on a "cantilever" type sawmill, the wood has some inherent ability to defy gravity.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Den Socling

Bill Gaiche

Looks like its going to waste to me. bg

WDH

That is crazy.  That wood must have a lot of spiral grain in it  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

Accidentally hooked it with a loader/ forklift at a guess?
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This is actually a good picture of an automatic unstacked.  However, this model does break lots of sticks.  Also, it is hard to predict when it will actually unstack the load...
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

An unstacker that unstacks when you don't know that it's going to unstack! That's pretty funny, Gene.  :D

5quarter

I see Doc Gene has been hard at work down in Missouri.  ;D  If I had to guess, I would say that its stickered using a combination of cyanoacetate and boron solution and positioned in such a manner as to take advantage of the angular momentum of the earth relative to the atmosphere in order to provide increased airflow through the pile. either that or the mold is holding it all together.   ;) :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The coriolis effect only would make this pile rotate one revolution per day, so we need to have some more pictures taken about every six hours !   assuming that the camera is also not rotating once per day.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

mesquite buckeye

You could hook up a camera to a clock driven at the siderial rate on a polar mounted telescope to get the actual position of the pile relative to the ecliptic. ;D 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LeeB

I think you boys need to quit smoking. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WoodenHead

Gravity.   ;D    If you wanted to, you could carefully build two piles that arch towards each other using a harmonic series.  Or you can use some fancier math...  ;)

mesquite buckeye

I think we need to call in Goldsworthy. I'm sure he could make a series of these in a cornfield or something. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!