iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are these any good?

Started by highleadtimber16, July 29, 2013, 12:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highleadtimber16

Hey Guys, I'm kinda thinking about getting a blade sharpener and came upon this little unit. I don't think I would get one of these because I'd like to sharpen others blades as well, but I gotta know. Do these work well or not?

http://portablebandsawmills.ca/catalog/bandsaw-blade-sharpener/sharp-rite-sharpener-kit
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

cutterboy

Boy, I don't know. I'd have to try one out before I would shell out money for it. I've never seen it before. Seems like there is always someone trying to sell a piece of junk for big money.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

york

Too much money for what it is.....
Albert

bandmiller2

For that much money I would put a little more with it and get a known performer like a cats claw,or a used unit.Many are going to the newer WM's and selling their older drag units.With a little care one can do a good job sharpening bands on a bench grinder,I did it that way until I got my cats claw.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

Too much buck for the bang, imo,  I agree with the fellows above me,  but would like to try one just to see if that makes any sense,  david,  nice sound track though ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

In all fairness to the fella that developed that sharpener I would and should try it before passing judgement.It looks rather slow and tedious,the setter is interesting because of its simplicity but probably tireing to old hands.If more reasonably priced it would be Ideal for a part time puttermiller. Frank C. [Jeff when are you going to put puttermiller in the glossery section?]
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

If it has a 30-day no questions asked return policy, it would be worth trying.  Sharpening & setting on the mill would be great, if it accommodates different hook angles.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Kansas

I don't know if it costs too much, but the bigger question is, is it what you want? It looks kinda flimsy to me. I know a cooks sharpener and setter will do a fine job, although it costs more money. Do you have rainout days? The time spent sharpening and setting the blade on the mill would be better used just changing the blade, rather than the downtime. Then sharpen and set on the rainy days. If you are a full time sawyer, and change the blade 5 times a day over 200 days a year, that is 3 bucks a blade for a known good sharpener and setter. We used our first one for a good 12 years. At that point, there really is no blade costs for it, other than stones and that you would have to buy anyway. We use the mills more than that, but that is .25 cents a blade on one mill. I don't know your operation, but I would be careful.

slider

I'm with Kansas on this one Cooks is hard to beat,If you contact them they will send you a flyer,on their specials.They do put their sharpeners and setters on sale from time to time.
al glenn

Peter Drouin

I don't know if they will last but it might work. If you're going to cut alot don't fool around and get a Wood Mizer setter and sharpener the cbn one. you don't have to dress the rock no burnt teeth. the cbn is in oil. If your going full time get a WM. The best money I spent and It paid for itself In less than a year  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

If you get it don't plan on sharpening more than one blade a week. Any more than that get a sharpener and setter from one of the sponsors on the left.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!