iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home is where I live

Started by Howdy, July 28, 2013, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

Time for a travel log ...

Here in the beautiful state of Oregon, the Portland area enjoys a few hours of winter, and a couple of weeks of summer. The rest of the year we have moderate temps and conditions so we truly live in a pleasant area weather wise. 

(My grandson just walked by the window showing me his arms and shirt full of fresh picked blackberries. The grin on his face made it clear he was one happy camper. At least he was wearing a black shirt so mom will not even notice the stains!)

A person can travel less than two hours from my home and be at the Pacific coast to the west, on a year round snow ski area to the east, looking at a recently erupting volcano to the north and to the south is some of the best wine country anywhere. If I want to visit a large city or small town, walking in lush forests or desert highlands, enjoying world class wind surfing and kite boarding, everything is available close by.

We seldom have thunder or lighting and when we do it is special enough to get people outside for the event. Hail, wind, tornados, and hurricanes, just don't worry us. Our lawns are green and the plants thrive without watering. The amount of rain we enjoy is just enough to keep everything fresh and clean.

The third day of the annual airshow is about to begin. Friday the show was an evening event with limited flying but lots of fireworks. Saturday the weather was perfect, mid 70's without a cloud in the sky. Quite a change from the much higher temps we have been having all week. I can hear the planes starting to rise up into the sky, engine sounds different from one another like a barnyard of critters coming awake for a new day.

While the show is noisy and disruptive, I feel it is something that adds to our lives. Vintage, modern, loud, silent, sitting on the airfield on display or flying overhead the variety of aircraft for a few days each year we enjoy the best the would of aviation offers. The airshow is an event that is enjoyed by some 100,000 people paying for admission to the airfield, and another zillion or so people like me watch from our yards and nearby locations. For a few days it's hard to avoid getting excited and living nearby the airport is something I have always enjoyed.

This year the date of the airshow was moved to accommodate the Blue Angels to the same weekend as the County Fair located right across the street from the airport, however the government cutbacks prevented them from appearing. Thankfully the Patriot Jet team was able to add us to their schedule so we still have some jet sounds and amazing coordinated flying.

This morning my wife and I attended the fair just as the gates opened. We were able to get there before the crowds and see everything we wanted at our pace. Home again and the day was just beginning. I enjoy a good life, much better than I deserve. To be thankful is easy when troubles are few and I bank the blessings for times when challenges come.

Chuck White

Sounds like there's always something going on nearby Howdy.

Seasonal, you just pick which one you want to enjoy.  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

A most excellent, descriptive post! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Piston

Howdy,
Your a very good writer for a 5 year old!  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Magicman

I have visited your beautiful state, and your description is very accurate and begs for a return trip.  Thanks for the reminder.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

If home is where I live, I sure am ready to run away from home. Half the time I live out here on this old drilling rig. Tomorrow I'm gonna run away from home and go where my true love lives, in our home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

drobertson

sounds real, real close to God's country to me,  to bad some folks can't find the peace, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

justallan1

Thanks for sharing some good, positive views with us.

Allan

thecfarm

Sounds like a nice place to live and saw lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dewwood

Sounds like beautiful country.  We hope to see some of it next year.  My son just moved to Corvallis last week so we are planning a trip out to see them.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Thank You Sponsors!