iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Indroduction with some pics.

Started by acrosteve, July 27, 2013, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrosteve

I might as well give a little introduction.  I started out as a woodworker that hated to see any good log fall down and rot.

I am fortunate enough to have the free use of a good friends TK B-20, and have sawn several logs over the years.  Just stacked inside and air-drying.  I have been slowly accumulating logs and have an immediate need for some poplar siding for a small shed I have built.

Here are some recent pics.

My help.

Stash of white oak. - i have since added a couple of cherry logs and a walnut burl to this pile.
Most of that in the background is a 86+ year old oak that I quarter sawed

And the load of poplar I mentioned.
Timberking B-20

Full Circle

Welcome to the forum!  Lot's of good people and good information, here.  Those are nice looking logs you have there.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum Steve.  There are a number of B-20 owners here who should be able to help you with the sensor issue.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

thecfarm

acrosteve,welcome to the forum. What size is that ford tractor,hp? Got any pictures of your wood working skills?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

acrosteve

It's a 23hp 1520.  I work the heck out of it.

These where the last major project I completed.  I actually made 3 of them.  The one that I kept has open shelves on the top and is walnut. - These pre-date the B-20, I did not saw this wood.

These two belong to my uncle.

Timberking B-20

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Piston

Those are BEAUTIFUL!   8)

It look like you do some nice work!  Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting some pictures.  Do you have any plans for the 86 year old QS white oak?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Acrosteve.  Nice looking furniture.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

acrosteve

Thanks,

No particular plans for it, I think I cut it around 2010,  but I just keep adding inventory. :D

I 1st cut in 2006 - some cherry and a walnut I took down in my front yard. - Much of it was cut leaving a live edge.  It is still on stickers in my other barn.  I have never looked at it, but I did not really have any good stickers at the time, so I hope any staining is minor.

Couple of years later I cut some hickory, maple and poplar, which is also stacked in my upper barn.  I have made a few things from the hickory, but nothing to speak of.  At this time, I found a good source(free) for commercial stickers. 8)

Then it was the previously mentioned oak and another cherry.

I still don't know if I have the motivation tu cut and stack that whole pile of logs I have, but I do now that the poplar I cut next won't be stickered - just right on the siding.  Although I do have much more wood than I need.

On a side note... are there any concerns of degredation of the wood if the log is left uncut for years?  Assuming it is kept dry and under cover with the ends of the log sealed.
Timberking B-20

drobertson

acrosteve, looks like not much has gone to waste there man, nice looking work for sure, real nice matching the grain pattern on the walnut door fronts,  take care, always looking forward to more nice pics,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

That is some very nice craftsmanship.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Steve.
Beautiful craftsmanship on the furniture.

Allan

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Beautiful frame and panel construction.  The trim work is especially nice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Welcome ,nice work.You might want to let that popular dry just a bit before you put it up.It may want to cup.
al glenn

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Steve!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawmillhand

Welcome to the forum Very nice looking work  smiley_thumbsup
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

acrosteve

Quote from: slider on July 28, 2013, 08:22:54 AM
Welcome ,nice work.You might want to let that popular dry just a bit before you put it up.It may want to cup.

Think so?  This is my 1st go around at putting the siding up and had thought I could just take it right from the mill.  The tree has been down over a year.  Started sawing today.

Have not decided on board and batton, or ship lap, but am leaning towards getting the router out and putting a 1/2 rabbet on the edges.
Timberking B-20

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Mighty nice looking furniture builds, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Steve. Very nice projects.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

cutterboy

Welcome Steve. You must have a very good friend if he lets you use his mill. Friends like that are hard to find. You've done some fine work on the furniture. I love the walnut door fronts.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

dboyt

It is rare-- and inspiring-- to find someone who goes "from tree to table".  Thanks for posting the pictures.  And welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

acrosteve

Timberking B-20

acrosteve

Debarking the poplar.

And I had a buddy that has been after me to saw up some walnut the city had cut down behind his house as part of some storm cleanup last year.  Well, he said there was a pair of them, but they where short - about 4' each.  They where laying in a railroad right of way but he had no way of loading them.  So I drove my tractor to town. :D About 5 miles and tossed them in the back of his truck.

He had not mentioned it because he did not think it would be worth fooling with, but the rest of the tree was still there.  And i thought it WAS worth fooling with.  So back to my house we go to get my log dog.

A little more work and funny looks later...

What do you think?  How many would have drug it home too?

We sawed up the 4' butt cut that day - which was the worst looking one of the bunch.  He got 10 12" wide boards 4'+ long.  Over 1/2 of them clear.  The other two logs are still untouched.

And, just to round it out, a couple of other interesting logs in my pile waiting on the right day.
I would like to slab this crotch, but it just won't fit in my saw. >:(

Walnut burl
Timberking B-20

WDH

I would have hauled that walnut log home in a heartbeat.  I am partial to walnut (among other woods  :)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!