iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No more Help needed guys (it's running). 80 miles from home and LT40 broke down

Started by Full Circle, July 27, 2013, 07:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Circle

Hoping someone can help me. As Woodmizer is closed. Have a 3 day job away from home and mill quit at 4:00 today (day 1).  Engine was running fine all day. Its a kohler Command Pro 28 EFI  has 619 hours  2007 model LT40  Went to engage blade and it was like I turned the key off. No start. I don't have 12 volts at the fuel pump and don't believe I have any spark, but it does crank normally. 12 volts to fuel pump from battery and fuel pump works. I have. cleaned all the grounds I can find and am suspect of the ECU. Can't remember if red light on cover ever came on, but it is not on now. Odd that it happened as I was pulling lever to engage blade. Makes me think rubbed/broken wire, too. But that might just be wishful thinking. Customer is great and I will be staying at his house tonight, hoping to repair in the morning. I'm going to run out of daylight soon. Typing from my phone, so pardon typos. Will be on my laptop later on. Thanks for any ideas, folks.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Sixacresand

I would start looking to see if there is a safety interlock switch on the blade engaging lever.  (Riding lawnmowers have these so It will only crank with the blade is not engaged and the clutch in depressed and/or the transmission is in neutral)  You might have to bypass a switch or disconnect the safety interlock system if it has one.   Be careful running it if this is the problem.  I hope you get it running.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Roy, so your saying it just happens when you engage the blade?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Full Circle

Thanks for the replies, guys.  I'm on my laptop now, so it's a lot easier.

I don't think it's a safety switch, sixacres, as there aren't any that have to be engaged prioe to the blade.  But it's a good thought.  I don't know if the engine has oil sentry, GA mtn MAn, but the first thing I did was check the oil.  It also ran at idle, when oil pressure should be lowest.  David, the problem arose when I engaged the blade, and it now won't start at all.  The RPM's went up a little then it was like I turned the key off.  It cranks, but shows no sign of firing.  It won't run because the fuel pump's not getting voltage, I just don't know why.  I checked the key switch with my test light, and it seems to be working properly.  I also checked all the fuses near the ECU and they all look good.   One of them is for the fuel pump, I think.  I'd like to check for voltage to the Engine Control Unit (ECU), but don't know where to check it.  Is the light on the ECU cover (to the right of the engine, looking from the operators station) supposed to be lit when things are normal? 
Thanks again, guys.  Roy
-Roy

beenthere

Can you connect voltage direct to the fuel pump and see if it will run then?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Full Circle

I'm going to give that a try tomorrow, beenthere, ran out of daylight....    Thanks for the response.
-Roy

Nomad

Check your fuses and breakers.  I'm not sure if one of those could cause that, but it's worth checking.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

isawlogs

Had a wire break at the coil on my Onan and it quit just like yours did. Ran fine thern ....nothing, would turn over but no go.  Just saying it culd be a simple broke connection at the coil.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Marcel might be right. I would just start tracing the wires back to the battery starting from the fuel pump.
Gotta be something simple Roy. Got my fingers crossed.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

A test light and a ohm meter would help big time trying to find a broke wire . Sometimes they can be sneyky.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Full Circle

I would be happy with a simple fix that's hard to find. :)  maybe it will come to me in a dream....  Tomorrow's a new day.  Got the test light, but no ohm meter, Marcel.

Thanks a lot for your time!
-Roy

pineywoods

Them kohlers can do strange things when the fuel filter clogs
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dgdrls

Full circle,  which direction out of Dutchess are you?

Ignition switch connection?

DGD

rmack

shouldn't be too hard to pull the plug and check for spark, if you have that and pour/squirt some gas in the hole before replacing the plug and then check for any sign of life... would tell you whether it is fuel or spark... assuming you still have compression.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Jim H

I had a similar problem several years ago. It was a single terminal in one of the relay plugs. The relay was inside the housing with the ecu and not attached to anything, so I had the bright idea to bolt on to the inside of the housing. After about 100hrs the vibration caused one of the connectors in the plug to crack and come loose. We found it by wiggling and pushing on wires with the switch on and heard the fuel pump come on. Fixing it required getting the old connector out of the plug and finding a replacement, I think it was a narrow spade connector. Hope this helps,   Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

redbeard

I had fuel pump problem last month on my Kohler and culprit was fuel line from tank to pump had cracks and was letting to much air in. I replaced pump and lines. Hope you find a easy fix.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

I don't know if the gas engines have them but on the diesels there is a black box on the right side of the engine. Inside this box (about 5X8) there is a couple of relays and a black breaker. Some times those relays go bad. You can take and swap the relays to see if that will fix your fuel problem. If it does then you have a bad relay. Check the breaker also as it will have a small button that you push to reset. I would also check all of the relays on the front inside of the control box.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Full Circle

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and replies.  It's raining right now.  Hopefully it will stop while I'm getting some breakfast, then I'll go back to chasing this problem down.   
I will post back what I find.  Have a good day, and thank you again.  I appreciate the help!
-Roy

Full Circle

With 12 volts direct to fuel pump from battery, pump works, but it still won't fire. Problem must be further upstream from ECU.    On to relay swapping, etc.
-Roy

sawmillhand

It would differently help if you had a wiring diagram on the system to help troubleshoot.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

customsawyer

There should be a wiring diagram in your owners manual.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

rmack

Quote from: Full Circle on July 28, 2013, 08:31:36 AM
With 12 volts direct to fuel pump from battery, pump works, but it still won't fire. Problem must be further upstream from ECU.    On to relay swapping, etc.

have you confirmed whether it is fuel or spark yet? a working fuel pump doesn't necessarily resolve that question. does the spark plug spark?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Full Circle

Hard rain on and off.  More on than off too, it seems.  Going to be like this all day, I think. Next break in rain I'm going to button up what's apart, pack up, and get it home where I can work under a roof. Think today would be a wash anyway.... Thanks again, and will update as I can.
-Roy

nk14zp

If you wasn't heading home I was going to say get a tarp set up so at least you could stay some what dry while you work on it.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Thank You Sponsors!