iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EAB Ash

Started by stumpy, July 27, 2013, 08:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

We are just beginning to see the start of our emerald ash borer problem here in Wisconsin.  I'm sawing some nice logs but can't seem to find a market for them.  What are all you out there in EAB country doin with all the ash?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Al_Smith

Most of it ends up as firewood .I don't think the mills are interested in it .

NMFP

I just sold a load of ash  2c and better and they are looking for another load from me some time in the next few months.

I sort it for wormy and non wormy.  Wormy goes to an upholstered furniture manufacturer and the non wormy goes to a plant that processes flooring, panels, doors and industrial wear pieces.

There are markets, just need to locate them.  Prices aren't great but I am making money at it, not just as much as I feel I should.

Al_Smith

I don't know how long those EAB ash will hang in there standing dead.

It's a matter that we've never seen something exactly like this and really have no idea of the outcome .The seem to be pretty tough because from my observation they don't shed upper limbs like perhaps even a dead standing white oak would do after a few years .

What I have noticed though is areas around road ways and such which are prone to standing water the roots give away .Those high and dry in the woods seem to be doing just fine so far .

However those fell before the were grave yard dead down to the roots have sprouted new growths which are doing very well .Interesting to see if they survive .

ladylake

Ash makes nice blocking for construction company's, it's light and strong.    steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

I've made a lot of wood work,a mantle ,several window valances out of air dried stuff which I had milled .I like working with ash.

At one time they called ash the poor mans oak .

Thank You Sponsors!