iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

foster daughter lost keys

Started by timberlinetree, July 27, 2013, 07:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

We had helped out our foster daughter by buying her a 1999 Chevy Malibu about a year ago and she just called and said she lost the only key she had for it. She got a quote for $300 for a replacement?? Any ideas how to help her get rolling again? Thanks... She could use the help.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

js2743

thats a tough one, because its going to open the doors and start it.  new switch on ebay looks like around $60 but then it needs installed and the door wouldnt work with that key. Maybe she will be able to find her key soon.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I agree with JS. This is one of those deals where you just have to do what needs to be done.
I went through the same thing in my 20's. My Dad got me rolling again and I had to pay him back.
That taught me to get a spare key.
Wish I could help.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

giant splinter

A good Locksmith should be able to make a key for her, I had to have a key made at Honda for a used motorcycle and they did it with their computer and key machine so I'm just wondering if General Motors can do this for her with the serial number of the vehicle.
roll with it

snowstorm

usually the dealer can cut a new key if he has the vin # you also have to provide proof that you own the car

julio

most all car maker give access to key codes for 10 years
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Teach her how to reach under the dashboard and hot wire the car.Cheaper than all the other alternatives mentioned and then she will have a new skill she can list on her resume :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

justallan1

Any dealer should be able to get her a new key by either the VIN or by a 4 or 5 digit code found in the handbook. I don't remember which maker does which.
If case nobody has told you lately, thank you for being a foster parent.

Allan

Buck

If its not a key with a chip a good locksmith should be able to make one. I've seen them take a blank and wiggle it in the tumbler then hit it with a file. Four or five licks like this then rolling again.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Jim_Rogers

I just got a spare key for my mother's car, a 2002 and it cost me $42 because it was a "chip" key but not one of the fancy ones.
He quoted a guy over the phone $325 to come to the car and open it and make a new "chip" key for it, while I was standing there.
So I guess that's the going rate.

Always having a spare key is the best rule....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GDinMaine

My wife lost the key to her 2000 Neon a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately it was a chip key and it cost $250+tax for the guy to come to the vehicle and make an extra key.  Then - of course - we found the original key. >:(
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

sandhills

My wife drives an '04 Trailblazer that every once in a while decides to lock itself after you get out.  Last time it happened she had taken my 11 year old daughter to the clinic for influenza, I had pneumonia and we had A LOT of help lined up to move us that morning.  So after their trip to the clinic I made her stay with me at the old place and my sister took my daughter out to the new place because we already had our bed set up out there.  She parked in front of the yard gate (which is normal here) and guess what happened, it locked.  Just before they left I threw in a few boxes, wanna guess where the spare keys were?  To make a long story longer we had our entire house on wheels in about 45 minutes and the trailblazer sitting in the way to unload, skip to later, we ended up taking my daughter back in where we sat in er from 11pm to 4am while she got IV fluids, my wife was absolutely exhausted and I just wanted to lay down and die somewhere, it was a fun move  :D.  So back to the original topic, make 2 extras and keep them in 2 different places  ;).

Chuck White

Quote from: sandhills on July 29, 2013, 10:42:00 AM
My wife drives an '04 Trailblazer that every once in a while decides to lock itself after you get out.  Last time it happened she had taken my 11 year old daughter to the clinic for influenza, I had pneumonia and we had A LOT of help lined up to move us that morning.  So after their trip to the clinic I made her stay with me at the old place and my sister took my daughter out to the new place because we already had our bed set up out there.  She parked in front of the yard gate (which is normal here) and guess what happened, it locked.  Just before they left I threw in a few boxes, wanna guess where the spare keys were?  To make a long story longer we had our entire house on wheels in about 45 minutes and the trailblazer sitting in the way to unload, skip to later, we ended up taking my daughter back in where we sat in er from 11pm to 4am while she got IV fluids, my wife was absolutely exhausted and I just wanted to lay down and die somewhere, it was a fun move  :D.  So back to the original topic, make 2 extras and keep them in 2 different places  ;).

Put them both in separate places so you'll know just where they are!  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

Sandhills, I had a Dakota lock me out one time. I never leave the key in any vehicle even if I'm going to be out for just a minute. Makes me nervous!

sandhills

Yep Chuck, that way you can't find either one  :D, 
Den, we're pretty much the same way now too, and this is in a small town where most people don't even lock their houses much less their car doors.

snowstorm

wife's Lincoln dosent have a key. it has a transponder. put in your pocket and push the start button. works pretty slick 

BobInMN

Quote from: snowstorm on July 29, 2013, 08:18:47 PM
wife's Lincoln dosent have a key. it has a transponder. put in your pocket and push the start button. works pretty slick

They are nice, until the day your wife drops you off somewhere, drives 5 miles away, shuts off the car and immediately realizes you have the key in your pocket.
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

Shotgun

Been there, done that too.  Only we started the car with my wife's fob. I dropped the wife off and I went on from there.  It was good while it lasted.  Then I needed help from a neighbor to get my fob from our house and bring it to me.   ;D  Lesson learned.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

snowstorm

Quote from: BobInMN on July 30, 2013, 05:56:47 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on July 29, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

They are nice, until the day your wife drops you off somewhere, drives 5 miles away, shuts off the car and immediately realizes you have the key in your pocket.
that could happen. should i answer the phone when she calls.......na

isawlogs

Losing keys to a car is always painfull, 'tll you find 'em.  :-\   
This being true for an older grey chipped keyed caravan, I don't know what type of key you have.... ;)
   Chipped keys don't need be in the ignition for the car to start, they need be near it. ( found this out after loosing the only chipped key to my van... :-\ )   
    You can have a chipped key made and have a few non chipped keys ( way, way cheaper ) Take the chipped key and placew it in steering colum with tape and then you can use the unchipped keys in the ignition. If.. now if this was my daughter I would write when.... she looses the keys again it would only be an unchipped key to have replaced.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

timberlinetree

She ended up finding them , thank goodness! Never thought keys could cost so much! Thank you very much, justallan1 and everyone else for all your insight!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!