Sponsors:

Outhouse ?

Started by bama20a, July 26, 2013, 07:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Simple question, Why the moon on an outhouse door? say_what
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

SPIKER

If ya look thru the window ya might get a MOON anyway thats why : :laugh: D  ::) ::) ::)

Seen many symbols cut into them myself the best was the "Skull & Crossbones:  lol smiley_airfreshener smiley_smelly_skunk
:D :-X

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

Google says:

Probably the most recognizable symbol associated symbol with the traditional outhouse building is the familiar crescent moon carved into the privy door. Actually, the symbol is an ancient one, and was a sign for womanhood in colonial days and on the frontier. It's male counterpart, Sol, was either a star or a sun burst design also on the door. Since most male outhouses fell into disrepair rather quickly they seldom survived; while the female ones were better maintained, and were eventually used by both sexes. Although you can find outhouses still standing with the crescent moon, the original meaning for gender identification was lost by the later nineteenth century in most areas of the country.

Carved crescent moons and stars on outhouse doors was introduced in early 19th century America. Typically, the moon and the star together represented a unisex outhouse, while the moon alone represented a women's outhouse. A star alone represented a men's outhouse
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Don't know much about the crescent moon, however, I did see two outhouses side-by-side once with a picture of a dog on the doors.

For real, one pic was a "Setter" and the other was a "Pointer"!  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on July 26, 2013, 09:48:27 PM
Don't know much about the crescent moon, however, I did see two outhouses side-by-side once with a picture of a dog on the doors.

For real, one pic was a "Setter" and the other was a "Pointer"!  :D

I have never heard of that Chuck....that's good idea! And funny too!  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

why did they have 2 holer outhouses? there would be no way i would drop trou with company :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 26, 2013, 10:09:36 PM
why did they have 2 holer outhouses? there would be no way i would drop trou with company :D

:D :D :D :D :D

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 26, 2013, 10:09:36 PM

Camp Perry NG base OH, 1983, mens toilets and showers in one building, 12 toilets in a row, no stalls. I park myself on one, all the others are unoccupied, old fella walks in and parks his rearend on the one right next to me............  ::)

And then he stikes up  conversation.......... ::)

Magicman

Our two holer had a large hole for adults and a smaller hole for us kids.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on July 26, 2013, 10:25:37 PM

And then he stikes up  conversation.......... ::)

He outta strike up a match!  :D :D :D

pigman

When I was young we had a neighbor that had a three holer. The man and wife had no children so I asked my parents why the neighbors had a three holer. Their answer was that they might have a visitor.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!